Sign in to follow this  
irani

True sportsmanship

This exmple is not wrestling related per se.  I really respect athletes who show sportsmanship, dignity and humanity.

This high school basedball pitcher just struck out his childhool friend to advance his team to the state championship.  I love how he conducted himself after such a big accomplishment.  He has his prioirities straight

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ln1z7

Here's one of my favorite displays of wrestling sportsmanship.

Dave Schultz in the corner of Kenny Monday, the man who beat him out for the Olympic spot, in the Olympic finals. After Kenny wins in overtime, Dave carries him around the mat on his shoulders (at 6:15 in the video). Which of our current guys could you see doing something like this? 

4 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

Dave Schultz in the corner of Kenny Monday, the man who beat him out for the Olympic spot, in the Olympic finals. After Kenny wins in overtime, Dave carries him around the mat on his shoulders (at 6:15 in the video). Which of our current guys could you see doing something like this? 

Beautiful 

I think many of our guys would, but only for the right partner. 

I could see Spencer Lee doing it for Gilman, assuming Gilman trained with him for the Olympics

I could see JB doing it for a young guy. Maybe Mark Hall? He has been a mentor for Hall since well before college. 

I could see Taylor doing this for Bo, but probably nobody else. 

9 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

Well, Dave Schultz was something else.  He was as fierce a competior as anyone, but also a great sportman.  He was friends with and respected by the iranians, Russians, Bulgarians and every other nation.  There will never be anyone like him

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Have to give a lot more praise to sportsmanship when it's done by the loser. Very easy to be a "humble" winner, lol. Can think of many examples in wrestling. 

Great point!

I hear the former coaches of the Mongolian wreestling team have started an online class on how to take loss gracefully :)

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Great point!

I hear the former coaches of the Mongolian wreestling team have started an online class on how to take loss gracefully :)

Former? Did they get rid of those guys? 

I've seen many examples, some of the most vivid in track and field.  In this one, you can call Anaya a fool or the ultimate example of class and sportsmanship for his actions:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ivan-fernandez-anaya-hone_n_2505360

In this one, the runner also shows great humanity and sportsmanship:  https://www.inspiremore.com/ivan-fernandez-anaya-abel-mutai/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/29/runner-world-championships-helps-exhausted-rival-finish-race/

On 8/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, irani said:

Great point!

Actually if you watch the video of the famous Mongolian protest. the actual Mongolian wrestler has a few seconds of WTF just happened bewilderment, watches his coaches and then gracefully shakes his opponent's hand, gives him a thumbs up and walks away. 

4 hours ago, Jim L said:

Actually if you watch the video of the famous Mongolian protest. the actual Mongolian wrestler has a few seconds of WTF just happened bewilderment, watches his coaches and then gracefully shakes his opponent's hand, gives him a thumbs up and walks away. 

Yes, the wrestler was fine.  It's the coaches that won the prize.