Sign in to follow this  
Martini

FREESTYLE OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS BY COLLEGE

Enjoyed the article and no surprise Oklahoma State was first. I was happy to see ISU second. However should there be an asterisk beside the winners in 1984 since the Soviets were not there? I noticed Iowa had 3 that year.

22 hours ago, Martini said:

Enjoyed the article and no surprise Oklahoma State was first. I was happy to see ISU second. However should there be an asterisk beside the winners in 1984 since the Soviets were not there? I noticed Iowa had 3 that year.

Thank you for providing the link to that article, I enjoyed not reading the article you are talking about.  ;)

On 8/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, Martini said:

OK, but don't let it happen again.  ionel is the Captain Woodrow F. Call of this forum and won't tolerate it.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

33 minutes ago, headache said:

Dave and Mark Schultz credited to UCLA - come on. Kevin Jackson should be Iowa State.

"An athlete who attended more than one college is listed under each one. For example, you will find Dave Schultz under Oklahoma State, Univ. of Oklahoma and UCLA." 

Kevin Jackson also fell into this category. 

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

They omitted Lee Kemp, who won in 1980.

...eh?...you don't say...well, never mind...

I think they omitted Lee Kemp because the article just covered Freestyle Olympic Champions.

"To cap off what would be Olympic week for wrestling at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, today’s #FreestyleFriday looks at the past U.S. Olympic gold medalists in men’s freestyle and the schools they represented." 

Kemp had to have been heavily favored to win an Olympic Gold medal in 1980. 

13 hours ago, TexRef said:

I think they omitted Lee Kemp because the article just covered Freestyle Olympic Champions.

"To cap off what would be Olympic week for wrestling at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, today’s #FreestyleFriday looks at the past U.S. Olympic gold medalists in men’s freestyle and the schools they represented." 

Kemp had to have been heavily favored to win an Olympic Gold medal in 1980. 

Lee Kemp was the 74-kg world champion in 1978 and 1979.  Shortly after the 1980 Games, he beat Olympic gold medalist Valentin Raychev (Bulgaria) in a "Super Champions" freestyle title match in Japan.  The score was 1-1, with Kemp winning by criteria.

"You can win the Worlds for 20 years, but if you don't win the Olympics no one's ever gonna hear about you."     - Lee Kemp, the United States' first-ever three-time world freestyle champion.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/14/1980-olympic-boycott-still-stings-for-those-who-lost-shot-at-glory/

On 8/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, Martini said:

Naw, no asterisk. The Russkies didn't show up and I don't blame the American wrestlers for that. But between you and me: no way we'd have won near as many golds as the Soviets if they showed up.

Edited by TobusRex