Sign in to follow this  
somedude202

Rodchenkov Book

I was reading an article in the Economist reviewing Grigory Rodchenkov's (Icarus) new book. Buried at the end there was a tie to wrestling...

"In one case, when a well-known biathlete's sample tested positive as inspectors from WADA looked on, he manged to switch the paperwork, leaving an unknown wrestler take the fall."

Anyone have any guesses who the wrestler might have been? I always assumed that the wrestlers that have popped were guilty, I didn't consider they were sacrificed to protect the reputation of a biathlete.

I have always been under the impression that they only test the medalists? Am I wrong. If not, the "unknown" wrestler was also a medalist. Either way, it's likely that this wrestler did not stay unknown after he was named as a drug cheat.

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

The biathletes have guns.

Wait a minute! Biathletes are in the WINTER games. So how could a biathlete's sample be exchanged with a wrestlers? Do they keep summer games' samples sitting around when testing winter games' samples? 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Wait a minute! Biathletes are in the WINTER games. So how could a biathlete's sample be exchanged with a wrestlers? Do they keep summer games' samples sitting around when testing winter games' samples? 

I maybe wrong but I didn’t see this as a post Olympic medal test.  I took it as a in country test where all world level athletes were randomly subject to testing and their samples brought to a analysis lab.  Then someone Switched out the positive sample so that a prominent medal likely athlete wouldn’t be flagged while some random athlete (in this case wrestler) who was 3rd on their depth chart ended up taking the fall instead.  

Edited by MadMardigain

On 8/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, somedude202 said:

I was reading an article in the Economist reviewing Grigory Rodchenkov's (Icarus) new book. Buried at the end there was a tie to wrestling...

"In one case, when a well-known biathlete's sample tested positive as inspectors from WADA looked on, he manged to switch the paperwork, leaving an unknown wrestler take the fall."

Anyone have any guesses who the wrestler might have been? I always assumed that the wrestlers that have popped were guilty, I didn't consider they were sacrificed to protect the reputation of a biathlete.

Who is "he" in that sentence? I saw the movie, but I don't remember all of it.

Also, how do you switch paperwork when the positive test is right there with officials watching? Did they hire David Copperfield or David Blaine to handle that?

36 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

Who is "he" in that sentence? I saw the movie, but I don't remember all of it.

Also, how do you switch paperwork when the positive test is right there with officials watching? Did they hire pay David Copperfield or David Blaine to handle that?

FIFY!