Sign in to follow this  
somedude202

Recruiting Pipeline

Where is your team's "pipeline state" for recruiting and how did it start (if you know).

For example, I root for Michigan State and a large part of our lineup Cali. Coach Chandler did an interview where he said the pipeline started when he did a trip out to California with Dave Dean to talk to coaches about the NUWAY system. From the relationships he built then he's been able to recruit several hammers from California (Omania, Enriquez, Saldate, Lujan, etc)

Oregon State has a majority from Oregon on their roster, but not all the elite of Oregon (i.e. Wittlake). . Washington and California are fairly evenly represented after that.  The level of recruit has increased with the new staff at OSU. Some of the higher ranked kids out of Oregon are starting to sign such as Whisenhunt and Barnes so far. Of the new class it looks like California is well represented - to be expected with CP and IMAR. 

Illinois seems to pick up a lot of studs from California...although this may have been during the Perry era...but they did sign Maximo Renteria and I know Tirapelle and Flores who coach for Buchanan are alum so the heavy recruiting may still be intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, klehner said:

Cornell's projected starting lineup:

125:  NY

133: PA

141:  NY

149:  MO

157:  CO

165:  NJ

174:  NV/NJ

184: MI

197:  OH

285:  NJ

NJ/Blair/Bergen Catholic is a pipeline.

Can you add names?  I thought Yanni was going 149

3 hours ago, Grim Reaper said:

Nebraska 

125 CA

133 IA

141 IN

149 MI

157 MN

165 KA

174 PA

184 MN

197 IL

HWT MO

I'll be surprised if Thomasen beats Lovett at 133. I am also speculating that Robb moves to 165 and 157 is either Wilson (KS) or Hardy (UT) . Unfortunately Nebraska does not have a goto pipeline state for recruits.  

Good topic.  When Tom Ryan took over at Ohio State he stole a line from Jim Tressell and said he wanted to "build a fence around Ohio".  One of the big knocks people had on Russ Hellickson is that he didn't recruit Northeast Ohio very well and never got the top St. Ed kids, who left and won NCAA titles at other big 10 schools(Holman, Disabato, Ramsey, and Rowlands all Central Ohio guys).  This changed when Jagggers came during Russ' final year and Lance Palmer was actually a Hellickson recruit that re committed to Tom Ryan.  Ryan subsequently signed other St. Ed studs Sean Nemec, Colin Palmer, Mark Martin, and more recently Cade Hepner and Paddie Gallagher.  Ryan also did a better job with northeastern Ohio as a whole getting guys like Pucillo, Johnstone, Jameson, Tomasello, and Decatur.  Interesting, the pipeline to the other Ohio High school powerhouse Graham seemed to be non-existing until Bo Jordan came.  Subsequent Jordans, Bojo on the coaching staff, and Jeff Jordan's business relationship with OSU guys like Rowlands and Leng through RUDIS seems to indicate that this pipeline is likely to stay open for the forseeable future.  While Ryan's early teams were Ohio heavy, his recent squad's have a mix of Ohio guys and out of state blue chippers.  The eastern states are fertile ground for a lot of coaches and Maryland (Snyder and Martin) and PA (Pletcher, Smith and Sasso) have been particularly fruitful for Coach Ryan.

Last years Ohio State Lineup

125-Heinselman-Colorado

133-Decatur-Ohio

141-Pletcher-PA

149-Sasso-PA

157-Cleary-FLorida/Kinner-New Jersey 

165-Smith-PA

174-Romero-Ohio

184-Rocky-Ohio

197-Moore-Ohio

Heavy-Traub-Ohio

So 50% Ohio.

Edited by balanceseeker

For a long time Michigan had a solid pipeline to St. Eds in Ohio.  That was slightly upset by Tom Ryan as noted, but they still get good wrestlers from there.

Blair has also been a good source of talent.

More recently, St. John's has probably been the most consistent.

Edited by Sheerstress

3 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

For a long time Michigan had a solid pipeline to St. Eds in Ohio.  That was slightly upset by Tom Ryan as noted, but they still get good wrestlers from there.

Blair has also been a good source of talent.

More recently, St. John's has probably been the most consistent.

I think a big part of that was Joe McFarland being from North Olmstead (Cleveland Suburb) and had a lot of connections to the area.  Obviously Ryan Bertin, Mike K, Hrovat were good one's that ended up moving the state to the North.  Elinsky, Heffernans, Roger Chandler, Sam Neider, Ryan Lang, and Al Fried were all great St. Ed's guys that Russ missed on.  

On 8/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, aknipp said:

I'll be surprised if Thomasen beats Lovett at 133. I am also speculating that Robb moves to 165 and 157 is either Wilson (KS) or Hardy (UT) . Unfortunately Nebraska does not have a goto pipeline state for recruits.  

Lovett is red shirting, Robb’s not big enough for 165 yet. Wilson is bigger, he’ll be at 165

31 minutes ago, Grim Reaper said:

Lovett is red shirting, Robb’s not big enough for 165 yet. Wilson is bigger, he’ll be at 165

Thanks,  I assume you have some inside information.  Appreciate the update.  I really hope there is a season.  

On 8/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, klehner said:

Sorry, that should have been JJ Wilson (or Moomey from NE).

I saw an interview - I think with Dean? - and he suggested it might be LaJoie (from Michigan) at 133. He also suggested Richard (NY) may jump up to 165 and challenge Ramirez. I'm 99% sure Foca is going to start over Berreyesa.

Edited by ugarte