IronChef

If (when) Power 5 cancels sports this week, are any wrestling teams in trouble?

There are 28 Power 5 wrestling teams (incl. Stanford). It looks like the football season will officially go away this week. Are any of these teams in trouble?

ACC - Duke, UVA, VT, Pitt, NC St, UNC

PAC-12 - ASU, Oregon St, Stanford

Big 12 - OK St, OU, ISU, WVU

B1G - MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio St, Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, Wisconsin

SEC - Missouri

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

There are 28 Power 5 wrestling teams (incl. Stanford). It looks like the football season will officially go away this week. Are any of these teams in trouble?

You got a reference for that?

Edited by ionel

2 minutes ago, red blades said:

But that seems like they are trying to push to spring.  Which from a revenue standpoint may be a good thing if by some miracle they can have fans in the stands by then.

The proposal is for postponement to spring. 

assuming by then we have a working vaccine and 50 million+ have been inoculated in the US, this could actually help wrestling. 

I don’t expect wrestling to happen this year in college. The season is at a terrible time considering there is almost no chance a vaccine will be readily available by Jan. They may have a working one by then, but it will take months to get enough people immune for it to make a major dent. 

As i said before, if they don’t cancel this week they will soon enough. Without NBA like protocols, which isn’t realistic for college football, case counts will be too high. Too many players will get severely sick and die. Football players are superb athletes, but they are also huge. You can be in great football shape, but a 350lb man is still likely to have major complications from Covid. This of course ignores the old coaches, professors, etc that come into contact with the team

I think it would be safe to assume a lot of schools are in trouble. Outside Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma St and Iowa. It's unpredictable. Wrestling gets the ax a lot of the times without clear explanation. Without a football season, it's an easy cop out to cut a schools program. Ready for anything at this point, never thought we'd see Stanford get cut but here we are. 

17 hours ago, IronChef said:

ACC - Duke, UVA, VT, Pitt, NC St, UNC

PAC-12 - ASU, Oregon St, Stanford

Big 12 - OK St, OU, ISU, WVU

B1G - MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio St, Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, Wisconsin

SEC - Missouri

As Stanford has shown by not allocating $$$ from their endowment to cover some "non-revenue" sports, one could surmise that without the football money (TV contracts) EVERY sport is in trouble.

It is likely/probable that football and basketball will be first in line for preservation, all other programs will be fighting for their survival.

The three teams that jumped out to me at first were Missouri, Oregon State, and West Virginia. Missouri is the only SEC school with wrestling. Oregon State is about to be one of two schools in the Pac-12. WVU is far away from the other conference schools. I know nothing about the commitment of these schools to wrestling; I just see them as having conference issues.

Nebraska expects a $100M hit to the AD budget if games are not played.  While I do not htink the NU wrestling team is in jeopardy, that kind of a loss for any school is going to have serious repercussions.   

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

The three teams that jumped out to me at first were Missouri, Oregon State, and West Virginia. Missouri is the only SEC school with wrestling. Oregon State is about to be one of two schools in the Pac-12. WVU is far away from the other conference schools. I know nothing about the commitment of these schools to wrestling; I just see them as having conference issues.

I picked out the exact same schools, plus Pitt.  However, I think there will be some complete surprises with schools that 6 months ago we thought never would be cut end up getting the hatchet.  Maybe like an OU or Wisconsin.  Sure hope not but think really only about 6 to 10 schools are "100% safe."

15 hours ago, dougb said:

Even if we lose a year or 2, almost everyone likes sports, so the Politicians (By way of taxpayers) will bail out the NCAA.

Agreed but still doesn't help wrestling in any way.

20k+ fans at NCAA'S is nothing.

It's hard to tell, because when a wrestling program is cut there's really not all that much in savings (talking hundreds of thousands, not millions).  In many cases there are a handful of supporters willing to cover the cost so that could save some that are at risk.  I would look at programs that have gone downhill in recent years -- that indicates lack of support.  There were rumors just a couple of years ago about PA closing some of the state schools; they could be on the block again as well.

2 hours ago, Broomstick said:

I picked out the exact same schools, plus Pitt.  However, I think there will be some complete surprises with schools that 6 months ago we thought never would be cut end up getting the hatchet.  Maybe like an OU or Wisconsin.  Sure hope not but think really only about 6 to 10 schools are "100% safe."

I think this is exactly right, and further, if only 6-10 schools are 100% safe then our whole sport is in really big trouble

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

3 hours ago, IronChef said:

On a similar note, the football team at Oregon State generates 80% of their athletic revenue.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/05/canzano-coronavirus-football-question-at-oregon-and-oregon-state-has-changed.html

On another note- Oregon State Wrestling is in good shape financially with a 5. 1 million dollar wrestling endowment and annual gifts of 250k.. AD and athletic department is 110% behind wrestling - large booster/alumni group that raises funds. See article below: 

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/456633-372117-oregon-states-plan-for-a-new-wrestling-coach-and-for-a-return-to-national-prominence 

From the article:

"One thing that will help attract a quality coach is the OSU Wrestling Endowment Fund, which totals $5.1 million, making it the most active and highest-funded endowment at Oregon State for any sport. Without its existence, OSU might not have a wrestling program. 

"There are not many universities that have wrestling endowment funds established, and Oregon State has a very aggressive one," said Tomasovic, who has been the endowment fund board's chair for four years. "Our goal is to permanently endow the 9.9 scholarships at about $10 million." 

If the fund were to get that high, the return from the investments would pay for the scholarships. For now, it's helping out a lot. The fund grows annually. 

"Over the last six years, we've averaged over $250,000 that's gone to support the current wrestling operations to include some travel, supplies and recruiting," said Tomasovic, who was fourth at 150 in the NCAAs as a junior in 1970. 

There is a general fund and several individual gift agreements, the first by arranged by Thomas in May 1989. The others are made in the names of Jess Lewis, Robin Reed, Bill Brickey, John Miller, John Platt and the Joe and Jane McHenry family. 

If Oregon State were to discontinue wrestling, the funds would remain in perpetuity for 20 years, Tomasovic said. After that 20-year period, the endowment board would make a decision to which other wrestling activities the funds would be directed."

46 minutes ago, Idaho said:

On another note- Oregon State Wrestling is in good shape financially with a 5. 1 million dollar wrestling endowment and annual gifts of 250k.. AD and athletic department is 110% behind wrestling - large booster/alumni group that raises funds. See article below: 

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/456633-372117-oregon-states-plan-for-a-new-wrestling-coach-and-for-a-return-to-national-prominence 

From the article:

"One thing that will help attract a quality coach is the OSU Wrestling Endowment Fund, which totals $5.1 million, making it the most active and highest-funded endowment at Oregon State for any sport. Without its existence, OSU might not have a wrestling program. 

"There are not many universities that have wrestling endowment funds established, and Oregon State has a very aggressive one," said Tomasovic, who has been the endowment fund board's chair for four years. "Our goal is to permanently endow the 9.9 scholarships at about $10 million." 

If the fund were to get that high, the return from the investments would pay for the scholarships. For now, it's helping out a lot. The fund grows annually. 

"Over the last six years, we've averaged over $250,000 that's gone to support the current wrestling operations to include some travel, supplies and recruiting," said Tomasovic, who was fourth at 150 in the NCAAs as a junior in 1970. 

There is a general fund and several individual gift agreements, the first by arranged by Thomas in May 1989. The others are made in the names of Jess Lewis, Robin Reed, Bill Brickey, John Miller, John Platt and the Joe and Jane McHenry family. 

If Oregon State were to discontinue wrestling, the funds would remain in perpetuity for 20 years, Tomasovic said. After that 20-year period, the endowment board would make a decision to which other wrestling activities the funds would be directed."

This is the exact model that needs to be applied throughout the country. An independent endowment fund for the sport that does not stick with the university if they cut the sport. If you are an alum at a university and do not have this set up, start ASAP. 

10 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is the exact model that needs to be applied throughout the country. An independent endowment fund for the sport that does not stick with the university if they cut the sport. If you are an alum at a university and do not have this set up, start ASAP. 

As with most things this is easier said than done. Endowments must be built high enough that programs can survive on the interest. I'm sure plenty of programs would love to have 5 million sitting in the bank but realistically that's the number that many programs would require to stick around.

10 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

As with most things this is easier said than done. Endowments must be built high enough that programs can survive on the interest. I'm sure plenty of programs would love to have 5 million sitting in the bank but realistically that's the number that many programs would require to stick around.

With all the outcry that comes up every time one of these D1 programs is dropped, you don't think it's feasible to find 100 to 200 people who care enough about a program to start donating before the program is cut?  It's difficult to raise 5 million in a year, of course, but over the course of 10 to 15 years from 100 different people it becomes much more feasible.  And then once the endowment is at a large enough level, the program is protected forever. If Oregon State can do it, I think many of the programs left in D1 can as well.  

The amount of cash that can be drawn from perpetual endowments is tiny.  The dividends on the investment are largely reinvested to guard against inflation.  If I'm remembering correctly, one reason Yale dropped wrestling in the early 1990s was that their financial advisors (let that sink in:  Yale's financial team miscalculated) allowed too much money to be withdrawn from the endowment and ran into difficulty.

A one-million dollar gift might earn 7 or 8 percent in a safe investment, but that doesn't mean they'll spend $70,000 or $80,000.  At least half that will be plowed back into the principal to maintain its value.  At a high-priced school with a full scholarship requiring $75,000 each year it probably requires $2 million to endow a single scholarship.