Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Video Review

We're any of the finals challenges overturned? I wonder what the % for the whole weekend was? What incentive does the ref have to correct his original call...wouldn't that potentially hurt their rating as a ref? The no back points call for Ramos was the most obvious blunder.

We're any of the finals challenges overturned? I wonder what the % for the whole weekend was? What incentive does the ref have to correct his original call...wouldn't that potentially hurt their rating as a ref? The no back points call for Ramos was the most obvious blunder.

I actually agreed with the no nearfall points call...but that's because I thought the mat should have been slapped!

(remember, falls are not reviewable)

I think if the Challenge is lost maybe the other wrestler should get position choice when action resumes - like injury time. i like it but slows down action and can be used as strategic pit-stop gas filler.

also the head gear delays in a few matches were terrible - each corner needs a back up or default penalty

a couple things to think about:

a team with 10 qualifiers has the same amount of challenges as a team with 1. i heard joe russell joked at the coaches meeting that he would sell some of his.

the video replay gives them a chance to reverse the call by seeing it again, but doesn't change bad judgment. i would love to see a panel of highly rated guys become the review panel. they come to the mat of the challenge and review the call instead of the officials on the mat. each scores the action as they see it and the majority rules. 3 officials on the review panel.

the potential for abuse is there for a gas time out. i didnt see any this weekend, but would expect to see it happen in the late rounds sometime when coaches have them to burn.

I think if the Challenge is lost maybe the other wrestler should get position choice when action resumes - like injury time. i like it but slows down action and can be used as strategic pit-stop gas filler.

also the head gear delays in a few matches were terrible - each corner needs a back up or default penalty

Great point on the headgear; I was watching the finals with a non-wrestler who commented "This is the national championship and they only bring one headgear to the mat?" Given that it is pretty much the only equipment (aside from cotton nose plugs and revolutionary war drummer-style head bandages) it does seem like a reasonable thing for the assistant coach to bring in his bag when you are being televised live for the championship.

I liked video review during the season, but it was a disaster at the NCAA's. It turned a 7 minute match into 30 second intervals. Wrestlers never going to win now by forcing the action and being in better shape as the opposing coach can always call a stoppage for video review. This experimental rule needs serious fine-tuning. A better option would be to change the reffing to more like international style.

I really dislike the video review. For me, it destroys the flow of a match and the energy/excitement of the moment. This is true regardless of the outcome of the review.

Think about all the examples from this year's tournament where review was used. None of those moments were as exciting as they would otherwise have been because the moment was put on hold. The call (or non-call) is integral to the excitement of the moment. To separate the action from the call deflates the energy of the moment.

I think the use of video review is a big mistake because it makes these pivotal moments less exciting. This excitement, for me, is at the heart of what makes our sport so special.

My $.02

It's terrible! If we are trying to sell our sport to a larger audience, and we are, it's exactly the opposite of what we want them to see.

I might be okay with one review per dual or tournament per coach, but the reviews after nearly every score in the finals was ridiculous.

Would it be nice if every call were correct? Sure, but at what cost to the sport?

I thought the video reviews were very good. There were a lot of corrections made throughout the tournament and the Wrestlers deserve for the scoring to be correct...GOOD JOB! There were still some incorrect calls made or missed, such as Ramos 2NF or possibly a Fall in the finals, not nearly as many in the past though. Stieber has definitely gotten some major breaks in his 2 Finals appearances so far.

I like the reviews. I can handle the interruption to get more calls right.

They have to come up with a more equitable means to distribute the # of reviews allowed. 3 per team when teams have different # of wrestlers makes no sense. I know they like to keep things simple, but not at the expense of common sense.

I also wonder how well they are able to keep track of it when schools have multiple wrestlers wrestling at the same time.

Options:

Each wrestlers gets 2-3 "free" challenges per tourney (only lose them when you lose a challenge)

Each wrestlers gets 1 "free challenge" per match (but if you win, you don't lose it)

Another variation of the above is to allow additional challenges after the wrestler is out of free ones, but if they challenge and lose, it costs the wrestler one point.

Just thinking out loud with those ideas, but 3 per team is just plain stupid IMO.

Overall i think challanges are good for the sport. A lot of the other big time sports utilize them (you have to evolve and keep up with the times). Also, the ultimate goal of the match is to make the right decision, which from what I've seen, has usually happened utilizing replays. I do think though-maybe its a personal opinion-that NCAA officials should have a meeting making sure they do not let their personal pride get in the way and make the right call (a pretty popular one is ramos/steiber. That should have been overturned regardless of if the ref didn't swipe 2 times during the situation, that is what replays are for to fix a bad call). Here's a few ideas after seeing video review at 2 NCAA events (both DI, and DII nationals).

1. There should be a 45 second time limit for the referee to come to a decision. There is only 1 camera angle opposed to multiple angles. 45 seconds is adequate time to come to a conclusion and this will eliminate the rest time that long lasting reviews give to wrestlers who are getting tired (one example Welch vs Alton in the quarters). It will also keep the action up so fans with short attention spans don't get bored.

2. If a challenge is not overturned a stall call should be given to the wrestler who's coach made the challenge. Challenges undoubtedly slow a match down so a stall should be given if a challenge is lost. This would also eliminate the idea of taking a challenge in overtime or any other time to a tired wrestler that already has a stall call.

3. If a coach requests a challenge and has none left a team point should be deducted.

4. Something should be put up behind the computer so fans in the front row can't see the replay or hear the discussion between officials