Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

B1G Postpones Fall Sports

Pac 12 domino has fallen too...I don't see how the other conferences survive just from a medico-legal standpoint its an impossible risk for them to take. It would be akin to one Doctor agreeing to do a surgery on someone when 2 other Doctors have already refused to do because it was too risky. If something goes wrong you have no defense.

Edited by DocBZ

35 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Hypothetically if the sec did not cancel would that help their football recruiting?

Perhaps initially but they will have a rash of cases I'm afraid if they go forward. The SEC states currently have the highest amount of cases per capita and generally have the worst healthcare infrastructures as well. Not a good combination to fight a pandemic. I mean it's the Deep South....

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-best-health-care/23457/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by DocBZ

4 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Perhaps initially but they will have a rash of cases I'm afraid if they go forward. The SEC states currently have the highest amount of cases per capita and generally have the worst healthcare infrastructures as well. Not a good combination to fight a pandemic. I mean it's the Deep South....

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-best-health-care/23457/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

So if anyone should cancel it would be them.... but I think those states take too much pride in their football teams than to protect the players 

43 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Or those states realize this isn't about people not getting the stupid virus, and also they don't get caught up in the fear mongering by the media and political party trying to win an election.

Please explain what it is about then. You do realize this is a WORLD WIDE pandemic correct?  

6 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Please explain what it is about then. You do realize this is a WORLD WIDE pandemic correct?  

You do realize every country in the WORLD handled this differently??  And again, go ahead and believe what you want to believe...clearly you won't change your mind or your stance and feel that people should be locked up and the economy, our kids, and the 99+% of the world population should suffer for something that 99+% of those who get it will not die or even have severe symptoms.

10 minutes ago, dman115 said:

You do realize every country in the WORLD handled this differently??  And again, go ahead and believe what you want to believe...clearly you won't change your mind or your stance and feel that people should be locked up and the economy, our kids, and the 99+% of the world population should suffer for something that 99+% of those who get it will not die or even have severe symptoms.

Was the way they handled it based on Trump’s re-election?  

Edited by AnklePicker

13 minutes ago, dman115 said:

The rest of the world is closer to back to normal because they bit the bullet and did the things that you don't want us to do and got it under control. If everyone just wore masks and socially distanced, we could be back on track pretty quickly. It's people like you who just want to "get back to normal" that are preventing us from doing it. If we did things the way the rest of the "WORLD" did them, you'd probably call it tyranny. 

And the idea that colleges are cancelling football to sink Trump is laughable. It's a liability issue. As long as the pandemic continues, they're going to be incredibly cautious. 

I can't believe I am even responding to someone like you.  Anyway, please explain how the rest of the world "bit the bullet" and did things we haven't done?  And please explain how anything I have done has contributed to not getting back to normal??   I have always wore a mask when it was required.  I have always social distanced.  I have washed my hands and bathed in f'ing hand sanitizer.  I have always followed the CDC's "recommendations".  Which by the way you probably don't even understand fully what those recommendations are?  Do you know that we were supposed to maintain social distancing or wear a mask?  Then it was wear a mask if you can't maintain social distancing?  Then it was wear a mask and maintain social distancing?  And do you know the definition of social distancing?  Point being please enlighten us again how we didn't bite the bullet like everyone else.  And please explain to me how the narrative has now turned into don't spread it at all, when it always has been we need to slow the spread to not overwhelm the health care system.  To me we have done exactly as directed and have slowed the spread and haven't overwhelmed the health care system.  People are going to get the virus just as those who get the flu and colds.  We need to develop herd immunity to it (again per the CDC and "experts").  We need to not politicize pharmaceuticals and drugs currently available.  And finally if you think all this doesn't go away after the election in November then I have some ocean side property to sell you in the Sahara....LOOK AT THE DATA!!  What is the survival rate of Covid??

7 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I can't believe I am even responding to someone like you.  Anyway, please explain how the rest of the world "bit the bullet" and did things we haven't done?  And please explain how anything I have done has contributed to not getting back to normal??   I have always wore a mask when it was required.  I have always social distanced.  I have washed my hands and bathed in f'ing hand sanitizer.  I have always followed the CDC's "recommendations".  Which by the way you probably don't even understand fully what those recommendations are?  Do you know that we were supposed to maintain social distancing or wear a mask?  Then it was wear a mask if you can't maintain social distancing?  Then it was wear a mask and maintain social distancing?  And do you know the definition of social distancing?  Point being please enlighten us again how we didn't bite the bullet like everyone else.  And please explain to me how the narrative has now turned into don't spread it at all, when it always has been we need to slow the spread to not overwhelm the health care system.  To me we have done exactly as directed and have slowed the spread and haven't overwhelmed the health care system.  People are going to get the virus just as those who get the flu and colds.  We need to develop herd immunity to it (again per the CDC and "experts").  We need to not politicize pharmaceuticals and drugs currently available.  And finally if you think all this doesn't go away after the election in November then I have some ocean side property to sell you in the Sahara....LOOK AT THE DATA!!  What is the survival rate of Covid??

In the last 11 years NJ has had 15,000 flu deaths. We’ve had 15,000 Covid deaths so far this year. There’s some data for you. 

Will it go away in Brazil and India after the election?  Go back to putting your head in the Sahara. 

56 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I'm glad to hear you're following the protocols. You're doing your part. What "we" (as in our country as a whole) failed to do was implement a unified, science driven strategy for containing the virus. Each state did their own thing. Some did better, but were undermined by the states that didn't take it seriously. Other countries were able to have rapid, widespread testing with better enforced and carried out social distancing, which slowed the spread and kept their hospitals in good shape which made fighting their actual cases easier. 

And you're right about the CDC. The biggest scandal that isn't covered in the media at all is that we were lied to about mask use in the early days because the government was worried we would buy up all the masks and there wouldn't be enough PPE for medical personnel because our system was so woefully unprepared for this. This is both an indictment of the current regime that made that decision as well as our long term approach to our nation's infrastructure and structuring of the economy, which heavily indicts both parties (hence why this isn't getting covered anywhere).

It does seem somehow shocking that America was so uniquely susceptible to this whole thing. I mean, China has roughly the same number of COVID deaths as Connecticut. The concept that we have the more cases than India, Russia, China, and the largest EU countries put together is really something.

31 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Just look to Germany, we are 4 times the size of Germany yet have 18 times the number of Covid deaths. Our obesity rate is a staggering 38% but Germany’s is 25% so not that far off. Please explain dman. 

So now it is okay to compare ourselves to other countries??  At least be consistent.  Fine...how about Sweden??  You are going to say they failed miserably right?  But when you look at the data you will see they are about on par as the US and they did NOTHING!  Their death/100000 is a little higher but when you look at age demographic data their 65+ age group is higher than ours thus it puts us about on par with them for deaths/100000.  And why is it that you use death rate per those infected versus overall survival rate??  I'll tell you why because it paints a narrative some people want.  Again, if you want to see the negative in all this and live in fear than by all means do so just don't push that crap onto others.

Sweden has 10 million people with 6000 deaths. 

Germany has 80 million people with 9000 deaths. 

And Sweden didn’t “do nothing” they relied on their citizens who have trust in their govt to do the right thing and wear masks and distance.  Btw Sweden predicted they’d have 40% immunity by now, they actually have 15%. 

I don’t use death rates per those infected. I just use the death rate so people can’t claim how inflated the case numbers are. Hard to fudge dying. 

10 minutes ago, dman115 said:

And why is it that you use death rate per those infected versus overall survival rate??  

You use death rate for those infected versus overall survival rate because this is an ongoing situation with thousands of new people getting infected every day.  Rates of infection are fluctuating every day.  A new infection is two weeks to as much as months away from having an outcome. Positivity rates are fluctuating everyday. There is no total number of overall survivors until this thing is over with, so there is no way to come to an overall survivor rate at the moment.  Of the people that have been infected and had an outcome, 6% are dying here in the states, 5% across the world overall.

One could just as easily say that you use overall survival rates to skew the numbers to your liking.  But the difference is one is very speculative on what direction this thing may or may not take in the future, the other only factors in what has actually taken place.  

Edited by Lurker

“Again, if you want to see the negative in all this and live in fear than by all means do so just don't push that crap onto others.”

What you don’t seem to grasp is I and my family are affected by others just like yours. We are dependent on others to do the right thing. 

44 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So now it is okay to compare ourselves to other countries??  At least be consistent.  Fine...how about Sweden??  You are going to say they failed miserably right?  But when you look at the data you will see they are about on par as the US and they did NOTHING!  Their death/100000 is a little higher but when you look at age demographic data their 65+ age group is higher than ours thus it puts us about on par with them for deaths/100000.  And why is it that you use death rate per those infected versus overall survival rate??  I'll tell you why because it paints a narrative some people want.  Again, if you want to see the negative in all this and live in fear than by all means do so just don't push that crap onto others.

Our point was that our country hasn't handled this well and your big comeback was "What about Sweden? They're doing just as poorly as us (and worse than their European peers)."

They also didn't do "nothing." They have an outstanding, centrally planned universal healthcare system and a citizenry that puts a much higher value on the collective good than ours. Their strong welfare state makes it easier for those who want to stay home to do so. They still have not succeeded in what they were attempting to do with herd immunity.

Edited by uncle bernard

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

“Again, if you want to see the negative in all this and live in fear than by all means do so just don't push that crap onto others.”

What you don’t seem to grasp is I and my family are affected by others just like yours. We are dependent on others to do the right thing. 

Prove that to me!!  How is it if I do everything the CDC says to do I am putting you and your family at risk??  Tell me how if you are so worried about others that may not follow the CDC recommendations you and your family can't just stay home?  What makes YOUR right to go out and about over another person's right?  Call them jerks for not wearing a mask every second of the day.  Call them insensitive and say they don't care about their fellow person because they want to go out for dinner and/or drinks.  But what makes you the judger of someone else's rights are less important than yours.  Your feeling of it being your right to go outside and go to the grocery store and to Home Depot, etc. is just as much as someone else's right to go out to dinner, to go out for drinks, to open their small business, to travel, and yes, to not wear a mask (again I wear mine).  Don't give me the overblown total emotional triggered statement that I have any affect on you and your family...because if you truly felt that way then stay freaking home!!  I look forward to you not addressing my points and for you to start using those overdramatic statements.

Another thing that never seems to be addressed and I have said it many times...is this about stopping the spread, or slowing the spread??