IronChef

NCAA Championship bubble

NCAA president Mark Emmert has endorsed the idea of a "bubble" for NCAA Championships. Wrestling seems like an ideal for with a final event that takes place over a single weekend. Some adjustments would need to be made, but I think it could work. Here's a possible plan:

1. Qualifiers are now 3 weeks ahead, and all conclude on Saturday

2. Monday - qualifiers announced and tested. Each qualifier gets one named training partner. Rest of team is not allowed to train. Qualifiers and partners commit to self quarantine, except for practice and class (online if possible). Meals are delivered.

3. Initial positive tests are confirmed with a retest the next day and not allowed to train with a partner for 10 days. Can travel after that time.

4. Two weekends before, all other athletes, partners, trainers and coaches travel to the site. All tested again. Positives at this stage are tested again the next day. Second positive knocks you out of the tournament.

5. All are quarantined in their rooms until the retests come back.

6. Training can take place in various meeting rooms in the hotels. Strict schedules and sanitation in between teams. Meals are delivered to rooms. Nobody goes to the arena.

7. All are tested every 3 days. Positives are isolated and retested the following day. Double positives leave the bubble.

8. One strike policy on quarantine. You break a rule, you go home. You leave the bubble, you don't come back.

9. Weigh in Thursday morning and start the event.

10. Test everyone on Sunday with self quarantine by weight class for positive tests.

If you like, add in a few alternates who are in the bubble but only get in the tournament if someone tests positive.

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

The cost would be astronomical.  Getting that many test results that often turned around that quickly requires a huge financial investment.

This is the thing that most fans aren't thinking about at all. Most schools are actually saving money by not having sports because the increase in fan revenue would be largely outweighed by the cost of being able to do it safely.

The money simply isn't there for wrestling. Keep in mind the NBA is paying Disney $250M to be in the bubble. Granted that's 5-6 weeks but still I think you get the point..

24 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

This is the thing that most fans aren't thinking about at all. Most schools are actually saving money by not having sports because the increase in fan revenue would be largely outweighed by the cost of being able to do it safely.

BINGO  - Approximately 50% of the football programs are profitable in of themselves - only about 20% make enough to cover other sports. Add this to it and we have a bigger problem with finances. 

Yet another reason why I see CFB going to it's own entity in addition with the demands of players  - it won't work as long as it is under a tax based system.  I see college sports other than basketball and football becoming club - self sufficient - no scholarships. It goes back to the fundamental question of what colleges are for- COVID has exposed a lot of things. 

Edited by Idaho

36 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

No they're not.  They are still honoring the scholarships and paying the salaries of coaches/trainers/etc.  Universities are taking a huge loss from this.

The bottom line though is that NCAA competition is just not going to happen until there's a vaccine.  These are unpaid student athletes and there's no way they are going to be subject to a bubble environment for an extended period or put at risk for getting sick.  

35 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

No they're not.  They are still honoring the scholarships and paying the salaries of coaches/trainers/etc.  Universities are taking a huge loss from this.

The bottom line though is that NCAA competition is just not going to happen until there's a vaccine.  These are unpaid student athletes and there's no way they are going to be subject to a bubble environment for an extended period or put at risk for getting sick.  

You missed the point. Yes, they are still taking a loss by not playing because they still have to pay for the things you mentioned, but they would take an even bigger loss if they were to pay for the safety measures necessary to hold the events. The added revenue from holding events, excluding power 5 football maybe, is going to be smaller than the extra amount it would cost to hold them. This is why you're seeing more reluctance from some of the major conferences. SEC football can more easily offset the cost of safety measures with fan revenue.

13 hours ago, IronChef said:

NCAA president Mark Emmert has endorsed the idea of a "bubble" for NCAA Championships. Wrestling seems like an ideal for with a final event that takes place over a single weekend. Some adjustments would need to be made, but I think it could work. Here's a possible plan:

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but when I first read your post I thought that your 10-point action plan (which is fine, by the way -- could very well happen that way) was Emmert's.  I watched the NCAA video and he never said any of that.

What I was most encouraged by was his emphasis on holding championships for the fall and spring sports since those were the canceled championships last season.  So it sounds like if there's any way in the world to make sure those sports are held, it will be done.

The EIWA coaches have talked about holding their championship tournament three weeks ahead of NCAAs, but the current thinking is that there will be no 14-day quarantine of athletes ahead of St. Louis.  Intensive testing (and some of the actions you've detailed, no doubt) will be sufficient.

20 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but when I first read your post I thought that your 10-point action plan (which is fine, by the way -- could very well happen that way) was Emmert's.  I watched the NCAA video and he never said any of that.

What I was most encouraged by was his emphasis on holding championships for the fall and spring sports since those were the canceled championships last season.  So it sounds like if there's any way in the world to make sure those sports are held, it will be done.

The EIWA coaches have talked about holding their championship tournament three weeks ahead of NCAAs, but the current thinking is that there will be no 14-day quarantine of athletes ahead of St. Louis.  Intensive testing (and some of the actions you've detailed, no doubt) will be sufficient.

As JDA already knows, there might have been some mass delusions reading that post as I did the same thing.

However, as to the 3 week issue, I do think it makes a lot of sense since doing a lot of testing with less time between initial testing and the event is likely to mean dqs rather than the ability to quarantine for 2 weeks.

14 hours ago, IronChef said:

1. Qualifiers are now 3 weeks ahead, and all conclude on Saturday

2. Monday - qualifiers announced and tested. Each qualifier gets one named training partner. Rest of team is not allowed to train. Qualifiers and partners commit to self quarantine, except for practice and class (online if possible). Meals are delivered.

3. Initial positive tests are confirmed with a retest the next day and not allowed to train with a partner for 10 days. Can travel after that time.

4. Two weekends before, all other athletes, partners, trainers and coaches travel to the site. All tested again. Positives at this stage are tested again the next day. Second positive knocks you out of the tournament.

5. All are quarantined in their rooms until the retests come back.

6. Training can take place in various meeting rooms in the hotels. Strict schedules and sanitation in between teams. Meals are delivered to rooms. Nobody goes to the arena.

7. All are tested every 3 days. Positives are isolated and retested the following day. Double positives leave the bubble.

8. One strike policy on quarantine. You break a rule, you go home. You leave the bubble, you don't come back.

9. Weigh in Thursday morning and start the event.

10. Test everyone on Sunday with self quarantine by weight class for positive tests.

If you like, add in a few alternates who are in the bubble but only get in the tournament if someone tests positive.

It's a good thing that none of those wrestlers are actual students who might care about missing two full weeks of on-campus classes.

18 hours ago, klehner said:

It's a good thing that none of those wrestlers are actual students who might care about missing two full weeks of on-campus classes.

Aren’t a lot of schools doing all online classes first semester anyway?

On 8/14/2020 at 7:45 AM, headshuck said:

The bigger question is if Cael will approve.

If it were dual format he'd vote no is my guess. Individual might be different.   

On 8/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, Idaho said:

BINGO  - Approximately 50% of the football programs are profitable in of themselves - only about 20% make enough to cover other sports. Add this to it and we have a bigger problem with finances. 

Yet another reason why I see CFB going to it's own entity in addition with the demands of players  - it won't work as long as it is under a tax based system.  I see college sports other than basketball and football becoming club - self sufficient - no scholarships. It goes back to the fundamental question of what colleges are for- COVID has exposed a lot of things. 

They are profitable NOW. After forcing football players on the field and COVID 19 spreads (and it's already spreading among college football players, just a couple days ago OU announced 9 of their players had CV19) how much longer will they remain profitable if players start suing universities for putting their health on the line for money? How about a few of the football players actually DIE of CV19? You'd better believe the lawsuits will start rolling in. I'm not an expert on scholarships, maybe there's a disclaimer or something in there, but I foresee huge potential legal issues.

Edited by TobusRex

I think it's a bad idea for contact sports to continue during a pandemic, for obvious reasons. Everybody here loves wrestling, but come on, those guys are usually locked up and breathing all over each other during a match (panting, actually). Football....MAYBE, because it's usually outside but even that's a stretch.

I think the conferences announcing they are "going ahead" with football season are profoundly foolish. They are openly putting a profit motive ahead of the health of the athletes. We need to be smart about this or we may not have another full wrestling season for a couple more years, guys.

Edited by TobusRex

On 8/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, IronChef said:

If you gave the wrestlers a choice between two weeks of online class or no NCAA tournament, every last one would take the online classes.

If you gave college guys a choice of online classes or actually going to physical classrooms they'd take the online :D Unless there's a hot babe in "Human Sexuality 101", that is.