IronChef

NCAA Championship bubble

3 hours ago, dman115 said:

Completely mind boggling that people can't even just send kind words without caveats to someone because of the freaking word "prayer".  Man...get over yourselves.  Is it that hard to just say "good luck", "wish you well" if you don't believe in prayer??  Nope...have to interject your dumb a%^ opinions into everything.  True definition of a weak minded internet forum sleuth.

You don’t think this rant qualifies as a dumb a&^ opinion? 

On 8/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, Lurker said:

My Pops has the "boogie bug".  73 years old, diabetes, major heart attack five years ago, poor circulation.  Over the years he was also a major...contributor...in USA Wrestling.  Writing this only for the sake of If you are a prayer kind of person, please throw one up.  

So I debated for a bit this morning whether or not I was going to write this, but finally decided why not. 

First...the last ten days have gone pretty much just how I thought it would go if he caught this thing. Actually probably worse. He is currently about 48 hours in on ventilator and heavy sedation. He’s hanging on, and I know that he will, but he is going to have a very long road. Very long, probably never ending. I’m not going to cover any of the details, I will just say this has been the worse ten days of my life. And that’s not even close to what he’s going through. 

I’m writing to say this. This thing is evil, pure evil when it finds the right “host”. It separates you completely isolated from all of your loved ones, and attacks every possible vulnerability. It is evil. And everyone of us either is or has someone we love who is vulnerable to this thing. I would not tell anyone what to do, and I’m not going to try to influence anyone hear of anything but this: when you are going out, to wherever for whatever, please think before you do, think about the options and the possible outcomes of those options, elevated or decreased risks, and make a good decision. The truth is when it comes to this thing all of us here, myself included, we simply DO NOT know what we think we know. Just ask yourself which way would you rather be wrong?  

god bless and stay safe. 

46 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So I debated for a bit this morning whether or not I was going to write this, but finally decided why not. 

First...the last ten days have gone pretty much just how I thought it would go if he caught this thing. Actually probably worse. He is currently about 48 hours in on ventilator and heavy sedation. He’s hanging on, and I know that he will, but he is going to have a very long road. Very long, probably never ending. I’m not going to cover any of the details, I will just say this has been the worse ten days of my life. And that’s not even close to what he’s going through. 

I’m writing to say this. This thing is evil, pure evil when it finds the right “host”. It separates you completely isolated from all of your loved ones, and attacks every possible vulnerability. It is evil. And everyone of us either is or has someone we love who is vulnerable to this thing. I would not tell anyone what to do, and I’m not going to try to influence anyone hear of anything but this: when you are going out, to wherever for whatever, please think before you do, think about the options and the possible outcomes of those options, elevated or decreased risks, and make a good decision. The truth is when it comes to this thing all of us here, myself included, we simply DO NOT know what we think we know. Just ask yourself which way would you rather be wrong?  

god bless and stay safe. 

I will keep praying for your father 

49 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Go give plasma. 

Not sure what that has to with what I posted, although I have considered that but don’t know if I’ve had covid.  Do they test you for antibodies if you volunteer to do that?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Not sure what that has to with what I posted, although I have considered that but don’t know if I’ve had covid.  Do they test you for antibodies if you volunteer to do that?

I highly doubt they would accept a plasma donation from somebody who hasn't tested positive. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The point being you can gets free COVID test that’s required before they take plasma. Its probably one of the more reliable Ones since they are taking plasma to put in others. Then they pay you. All in all, probably fits your description you gave the best. 

I think it's a big mistake to confuse the plasma treatment with a panacea. From what I understand it improves survival prospects of people on ventilators by 20-30%. That's significant, but it's far from a cure and those people will still have permanent lung damage. 

Also why aren't the media telling how service members are getting kicked out of the military because they contracted CV19? It causes permanent lung damage. Sorta contradicts Trump's ridiculous "no worse than the flu" comments. 

The effect of the morons who went to Sturgis are starting to be felt. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-spreads-coronavirus-8-states-as-experts-warned-2020-8

excerpt: 

Before hundreds of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts descended upon a small South Dakota town, against many residents' wishes, for the annual Sturgis rally, public-health experts said it could be a catalyst for further spread of the coronavirus.

That's exactly what happened.

Cases stemming from the 460,000-person event, which kicked off on August 7, have now been spotted in eight states: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Washington. That's in addition to the cases spotted in South Dakota, where new cases spiked to 251 on August 22 and the seven-day average of new cases continues to climb. Altogether, the cases total more than 100, according to an Associated Press analysis

Attendees have traveled to more than half of all the counties in the US since the festival wrapped up on August 16, according to anonymous cellphone data from Camber Systems, which was tracking their departures. CNN first reported the location data.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-spreads-coronavirus-8-states-as-experts-warned-2020-8

excerpt: 

Before hundreds of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts descended upon a small South Dakota town, against many residents' wishes, for the annual Sturgis rally, public-health experts said it could be a catalyst for further spread of the coronavirus.

Cases stemming from the 460,000-person event, which kicked off on August 7, have now been spotted in eight states: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Washington. That's in addition to the cases spotted in South Dakota, where new cases spiked to 251 on August 22 and the seven-day average of new cases continues to climb. Altogether, the cases total more than 100, according to an Associated Press analysis

Attendees have traveled to more than half of all the counties in the US since the festival wrapped up on August 16, according to anonymous cellphone data from Camber Systems, which was tracking their departures. CNN first reported the location data.

I live in sd and sturgis voted to cancel but sponsors forced them legally to have rally. That's not right. 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

excerpt: 

I have not read anywhere that there has been a huge spike because of the Sturgis rally. S your moron comment is off base IMO.

26 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I have not read anywhere that there has been a huge spike because of the Sturgis rally. S your moron comment is off base IMO.

Well maybe you should read the link that he provided.

We have had very low number of cases in NH, but now there six blamed on Sturgis:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/nh-confirms-six-covid-19-cases-from-sturgis-motorcycle-rally/article_742ec795-a1bc-5bcb-8a8e-532ed7497e8f.html

We just had our bike week and a Trump rally as well

27 minutes ago, Jim L said:

We have had very low number of cases in NH, but now there six blamed on Sturgis:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/nh-confirms-six-covid-19-cases-from-sturgis-motorcycle-rally/article_742ec795-a1bc-5bcb-8a8e-532ed7497e8f.html

6 cases proves my point, not a spike.

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

Per the linked article:

460,000 motorcycles, 100 cases nationwide 11 days after the end of the rally (21 days after the start).

If you assume one person per motorcycle on average (some people probably trailered multiple and some arrived two to a bike), then the confirmed infection rate is 0.02%.

Doesn't that seems low to you?

Where are all the articles and data from CNN, Business Insider, and Union Leader about the impact of protests, looting, rioting, and marches on Washington and Covid spread??  Oh that's right...doesn't fit their narrative.  It is amazing that grown adults who seem to be fairly intelligent can't see this...

3 hours ago, dman115 said:

Where are all the articles and data from CNN, Business Insider, and Union Leader about the impact of protests, looting, rioting, and marches on Washington and Covid spread??  Oh that's right...doesn't fit their narrative.  It is amazing that grown adults who seem to be fairly intelligent can't see this...

I am confused by your comment. What do you believe the agendas of CNN, Business Inside and Union Leader are? Are they all the same?

The way I read your comment (and perhaps I am wrong), is that the article linked is trying to overstate the threat of COVID-19 as part of an unstated agenda. But the data in the article does not sustain an interpretation that they are overstating the threat.

What I am saying is that the media picks and choses what to focus on to create a narrative.  If they were truly trying to be genuous they would "evaluate" the impact of the spread of Covid due to all public events not just pick and chose because they assume those attending certain events side with a certain political party and/or support the president.  And you have people like ToboRex who call the Sturgis folks morons but never once condemns a rioter or looter...which...please tell me which of those groups of people truly are morons (not specifically asking you Wrestlingknownothing...unless you want to answer :) )?

I just wish people were more real and just come out and say truly what they mean....I literally got my mom to admit to her stance on things, it was quite concerning...she literally said she feels that everything good that is happening was because of Obama and everything bad that is happening is because of Trump...so I said, you hate Trump so bad that no matter what he does you would never give him credit, and she said "Nope...I will never give him credit!".  At least she was 100% real in how she feels and doesn't try and lie and distort truth and then try and hide behind that they are making logical fact based opinions...cough...ToboRex...cough….   And yes I understand and know both sides do the same thing...I am sure I have done it on occasion too...but I try not to and am always willing to listen and read things from all perspectives and political sides.

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

What I am saying is that the media picks and choses what to focus on to create a narrative.  If they were truly trying to be genuous they would "evaluate" the impact of the spread of Covid due to all public events not just pick and chose because they assume those attending certain events side with a certain political party and/or support the president.  And you have people like ToboRex who call the Sturgis folks morons but never once condemns a rioter or looter...which...please tell me which of those groups of people truly are morons (not specifically asking you Wrestlingknownothing...unless you want to answer :) )?

I just wish people were more real and just come out and say truly what they mean....I literally got my mom to admit to her stance on things, it was quite concerning...she literally said she feels that everything good that is happening was because of Obama and everything bad that is happening is because of Trump...so I said, you hate Trump so bad that no matter what he does you would never give him credit, and she said "Nope...I will never give him credit!".  At least she was 100% real in how she feels and doesn't try and lie and distort truth and then try and hide behind that they are making logical fact based opinions...cough...ToboRex...cough….   And yes I understand and know both sides do the same thing...I am sure I have done it on occasion too...but I try not to and am always willing to listen and read things from all perspectives and political sides.

Thank you, dman. 

I won't answer your question regarding who is or isn't a moron because I don't support the "yeah, but what about this other thing" form of argument.

The article seems non-biased to me. It states numbers and quotes high ranking state officials.  Pretty benign stuff. No quotes from random people expressing random views.

I just found it curious that Jim L would use it to support the statement that the event led to a spike when the numbers in the article did not support that conclusion. 

When Sturgis happened I commented to my family that we were about to have a natural experiment. Masses of people, many older, and not necessarily living the healthiest lifestyle all in very close proximity and unlikely to wear masks. My assumption was that we will see a spike in infections and then deaths. While measurement is a massive challenge (and therefore, I assume all numbers are on the low side) I am pleasantly surprised at the modest numbers.

Yeah...the Sturgis thing...while I personally wouldn't chose to go there, I do support those people's right to have the choice to attend, and just because they chose to do something I wouldn't I certainly wouldn't label them "morons".  Those that loot and riot and break the law...yes...definitely morons.  Anyway, I personally don't think there will be this "spike" in deaths given that a lot of times that it was predicted because of large group gatherings, it never materialized.  Sure there is going to be spread from things like Sturgis, but I often ask..."so what?"  Not to be a jerk but I fall back on that this isn't about NOT spreading it but flattening the curve to not overwhelm the healthcare system...which we have not done.  I think there is a narrative out there that paints a picture that this thing is worse than it is.  So people don't assume I am saying something that I am not...YES I know it is a serious virus and is very bad for a certain demographic of the population.  But for the majority it is not.  Just as with some of the other bad virus' out there, they disproportionately effect a certain demographic and even effect more of the majority, yet we do not go through these extreme measures like we have with Covid.  I feel like it is something that was used in the very beginning to create some sort of narrative (whether it was to attack China, attack the president, etc.) and then it just spun out of control for all the wrong reasons.  There will be other virus in the future, and we need to prepare, but we can't do this to ourselves every time something like this comes along or we are going to create a situation where the cure is worse than the virus.

On 8/31/2020 at 7:09 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

460,000 motorcycles, 100 cases nationwide 11 days after the end of the rally (21 days after the start).

Give it time - it's now just over 2 weeks, and up to 250 cases... and the first death. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-covid-19-death-minnesota/?ocid=uxbndlbing

22 minutes ago, red blades said:

Give it time - it's now just over 2 weeks, and up to 250 cases... and the first death. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-covid-19-death-minnesota/?ocid=uxbndlbing

Thanks for the link @red blades.

Let's adjust my numbers based on that. Normally there are 400,000 attendees. Let's assume that attendance was down to 250,000. The article was written today, 17 days after the end of the rally and 27 days after the start. 250 cases is still just 0.1% positivity rate. 

The American College of Cardiology says the median time from exposure to symptoms is 5 days, 97.5% of people exposed will exhibit symptoms within 11.5 days, and 14 days should be sufficient to identify 99% or more of people infected.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/journal-scans/2020/05/11/15/18/the-incubation-period-of-coronavirus-disease

I was certain that the event would lead to a spike. I am much less certain now.

25 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Thanks for the link @red blades.

Let's adjust my numbers based on that. Normally there are 400,000 attendees. Let's assume that attendance was down to 250,000. The article was written today, 17 days after the end of the rally and 27 days after the start. 250 cases is still just 0.1% positivity rate. 

The American College of Cardiology says the median time from exposure to symptoms is 5 days, 97.5% of people exposed will exhibit symptoms within 11.5 days, and 14 days should be sufficient to identify 99% or more of people infected.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/journal-scans/2020/05/11/15/18/the-incubation-period-of-coronavirus-disease

I was certain that the event would lead to a spike. I am much less certain now.

I hope you're right but keep waiting a while. Hospitalizations are often a month or so delayed. And don't figure that this crew is one to run to get tested.

Plus the reports I saw were initially saying 250k but the last couple days they were back up to 400k.

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I hope you're right but keep waiting a while. Hospitalizations are often a month or so delayed. And don't figure that this crew is one to run to get tested.

Plus the reports I saw were initially saying 250k but the last couple days they were back up to 400k.

I would agree that this is not the demographic to seek testing. And based on my completely scientific method of watching episodes of American Pickers, where Frank Fritz goes to Sturgis, I would say the crowd also skews older, heavier, diabetic-er, and male-er. All things that should be strikes.