Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

All American vs Dagestan wrestling and Sambo

Recommended Posts

In a folkstyle wrestling match, yes, in an MMA maybe not. GSP was often cited as a world class wrestler by MMA fan boys because of his ability to take down wrestlers in the cage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 2:25 AM, shieldofpistis said:

Do you think a college all-American such as Gaethje can prevent khabib's takedowns? 

Will be interesting to see

I don't remember Gaethje being all that special on the mat.  I remember him as a fringe AA, at best. Wouldn't be surprised if Khabib had his way with him, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tofurky said:

While certainly a fantastic wrestler, Khabib's best takedowns are when he utilizes the cage for leverage.

As he should in MMA. 
  
Khabib trains with AKA, so he regularly wrestled against D1 champs, Olympians, etc. He can hold his own, at least in freestyle. 
  
I actually think his skills and approach would’ve made him a folkstyle all timer too. He wears down opponents from the top very well. I can’t imagine how good his riding would be if he cared about it. 
  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

He sure looked fat to me. I know what fat people look like, I  see one every time I look in the mirror!

Yeah I hear ya, but DC has never looked.....slim.  So I wonder if it was more Moccic's look playing tricks on our eyes.  Was hearing this was one of the best camps DC has had in a while.  Either way, Good fight.  Tremendous combat sports career for DC!  Surely one of the top CS careers all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't remember Gaethje being all that special on the mat.  I remember him as a fringe AA, at best. Wouldn't be surprised if Khabib had his way with him, actually.

Gaethje defended Burroughs takedowns pretty well.  Also smashed Burroughs teeth in, forcing JB to withdraw from CKLV and visit the dentist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yeah I hear ya, but DC has never looked.....slim.  So I wonder if it was more Moccic's look playing tricks on our eyes.  Was hearing this was one of the best camps DC has had in a while.  Either way, Good fight.  Tremendous combat sports career for DC!  Surely one of the top CS careers all time.

Hey, I'm definitely not jumping in line to fight Cormier :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Every dog has his day

I think they wrestled three times.  All were fairly competitive.

If Gaetje hadn't smashed JBs mouth, he would have had too many matches to qualify for a medical redshirt that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I think they wrestled three times.  All were fairly competitive.

If Gaetje hadn't smashed JBs mouth, he would have had too many matches to qualify for a medical redshirt that year.

Gaethje lost a lot of matches in college, but I guess he must've matched up well with Burroughs stylistically. I didn't see the matches you mention, AH, maybe I can find them on youtube. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Gaethje lost a lot of matches in college, but I guess he must've matched up well with Burroughs stylistically. I didn't see the matches you mention, AH, maybe I can find them on youtube. 

Gaethje just thought he had good takedown defense.  There was one match where he claims that he shut down JBs offense for two periods and then JB got him with a head in sternum blast double and the floodgates opened.  Gaethje said that it hurt to breathe for three months after.  They wrestled two or three times... Gaethje claims he shut Burroughs offense down except for the one example.  I also heard Burroughs talk about the dental injury he received in one of the matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...