Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

Freestyle Website updated with US Team

Recommended Posts

I previously posted about the website I created, FreestyleWrestling.org. This contains all of the matches I've compiled for the top 20 Men's Freestyle guys in the world at each Olympic weight since 2018. So, there are roughly 8-10 thousand match results. Goal is to add non-Olympic weights by next Spring. 

I have updated the site and added the results for the 2019 US Men's and Women's National teams since 2018. Felt like you all would be interested in that and could use it as a resource for the upcoming Olympic Trials and beyond. 

Because there are so many results, I've noticed a few errors here and there. I'm doing my best to clean them up. If you do use the site and find an error, let me know by sending an me an email at JonathanJKozak@Gmail.com. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Love the site, man.  It's a great resource and I look forward to seeing it grow.

Question: Are you ranking them, or are you using a ratings system?

My rankings-also Flo's rankings...I contribute as their international ranker. That said, every weight has about 5-10 wrestlers on the bubble of being ranked. If you feel someone should be ranked, and isn't, I probably have their results too and am happy to share. 

The site is my own project/labor of love for the wrestling community. I'm definitely not a site developer but a few have reached out to help so I'm hoping it becomes more dynamic in the coming months/years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

My rankings-also Flo's rankings...I contribute as their international ranker. That said, every weight has about 5-10 wrestlers on the bubble of being ranked. If you feel someone should be ranked, and isn't, I probably have their results too and am happy to share. 

The site is my own project/labor of love for the wrestling community. I'm definitely not a site developer but a few have reached out to help so I'm hoping it becomes more dynamic in the coming months/years. 

If you need any help, I have a little extra free time with COVID wrecking the HS season

 

nick [at] nickstewart.me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I previously posted about the website I created, FreestyleWrestling.org. This contains all of the matches I've compiled for the top 20 Men's Freestyle guys in the world at each Olympic weight since 2018. So, there are roughly 8-10 thousand match results. Goal is to add non-Olympic weights by next Spring. 

I have updated the site and added the results for the 2019 US Men's and Women's National teams since 2018. Felt like you all would be interested in that and could use it as a resource for the upcoming Olympic Trials and beyond. 

Because there are so many results, I've noticed a few errors here and there. I'm doing my best to clean them up. If you do use the site and find an error, let me know by sending an me an email at JonathanJKozak@Gmail.com. 

Nice website. I have been cruising it for half an hour. I'm a data guy, so this is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, irani said:

This is a fantastic site!

well done!

I hope, some day you will have time to add the non olympic weights too!

 

Thanks for the kind words - non-Olympics are definitely a priority for sometime early next year. They’re especially challenging right now with no competition happening and not knowing who’s moving up or down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m working on expanding the site now to include all results for men’s freestyle.

So the database will include every match result across all weights from every international tournament. 
 

Because this is such a huge project, I’m reaching out for help. If anyone is willing, entering the data is very simple but time consuming. It takes about 1-2 hours per tournament. Let me know if you’re willing to help and I’ll guide you through our data entry process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I’m working on expanding the site now to include all results for men’s freestyle.

So the database will include every match result across all weights from every international tournament. 
 

Because this is such a huge project, I’m reaching out for help. If anyone is willing, entering the data is very simple but time consuming. It takes about 1-2 hours per tournament. Let me know if you’re willing to help and I’ll guide you through our data entry process.

Message me, my man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I’m working on expanding the site now to include all results for men’s freestyle.

So the database will include every match result across all weights from every international tournament. 
 

Because this is such a huge project, I’m reaching out for help. If anyone is willing, entering the data is very simple but time consuming. It takes about 1-2 hours per tournament. Let me know if you’re willing to help and I’ll guide you through our data entry process.

A potential automated solution for your endeavor...


1) go to reddit r/dataisbeautiful or r/learnpython because both are a perfect pool where a large group of people put out their first few visuals as a way to show their progress. Think of it like a non-paying internship and usually it’s professionals looking to expand their skill set to advance their careers.

2) offer someone a freelance fee of $200 to write a Tabula-Py script (should be about ten hours of work for a novice at $20/hr more than they were getting paid to do this for free). This will automate the data extract from PDFs (the file format your brackets were most likely saved as) to Excel (.csv or .xlsx .xml) and should save dozens of hours of manual labor. 

3) you get your data, the lucky winner shows their progress to a future employer with lots of clicks and a good reference. Win-win for two professionals.

 

Edited by bnwtwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thank you! Just wish we could see the rankings...could you give us the top 5 or 10 at least?

Also is Kollin Moore close to top 20? I would think he would...

 

 

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, DocBZ said:

Nice thank you! Just wish we could see the rankings...could you give us the top 5 or 10 at least?

Also is Kollin Moore close to top 20? I would think he would...

 

 

Yeah good question...the problem with Kollin is he hasn't had any relevant international wins since 2018. Do I think he could beat guys in the top 20, absolutely. He does have a win over Ovsiannikov from 2 years ago but Ovsiannikov has some better performances and has beaten guys on the international scene since then.

As far as the top 5-10 on the site...if you click the links to flo, you can view the complete top 20 there. 

We're almost finished with the upgrade to the new site so you'll be able to search for any men's freestyle wrestler and see all their results since 2018. At the moment we have 14,000 results with about 4,000 video links. When all's complete we'll probably have closer to 20K total matches. Expect that to be out around the first of the year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...