Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FinalThoughts

Logan Paul brings wrestling to the attention of million of viewers

Recommended Posts

Logan Paul is one of the most popular youtube and social media influencer's on the internet. He has recently been offering a challenge to wrestle and defeat any influencer in a collegiate wrestling match. He has put up a reward of $10,000 to any influencer who can successfully defeat him in a wrestling match. On his most recent podcast (Impaulsive) with two other huge social media influencer The Dolan Twins, he found a potential match. Logan Paul wrestled in high school and was 5th in the Ohio State Championship's his senior year, Meanwhile the Dolan brother said he had 11 years experience in wrestling. This podcast will easily reach over a million views on youtube in a week. I believe this is bringing a lot of attention to the sport of wrestling and will put a ton of new eyes n the sport. 

Is this good or bad for the sport of wrestling?

Personally, i think this is amazing for the sport and exactly what we need. Wrestling has struggled with becoming cool in popular culture. This alone will bring the sport of wrestling to the attention of younger generations at a level greater than anything else we have seen before. For this reason i believe we need to support these type of matches and as a community show our support. I commented my support in the comment section and mentioned the problem we're facing in the NCAA with wrestling being dropped from many D! programs and proposed that the money be donated to any program that can help with supporting the future of D1 wrestling. I insist you do the same. Like i said this will bring wrestling to the attention of million viewers who might not have known what wrestling was and this alone will generate enough buzz to encourage many kids to try out for wrestling. I'll link the video to the podcast, They start talking about wrestling at the end of the video around the 1:05:12 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1J76Q9Ts0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you "Old Guys" think of a popular radio host or late night TV host as a modern day social media influencer. Think of a Dick Cavett, Johnny Carson, or David Letterman in their youth accepting the challenge to wrestle another popular TV host on live television to raise money for charity. Before you decide to hate on this idea realize that this is going to be viewed by millions of young adults and will bring a massive spotlight to wrestling. If set up right we could see this put together like a UFC event with other wrestling matches from our favorite wrestlers. This is going to be a great fundraiser for charity and could help the sport tremendously. You can tell the passion they share for the sport we all love very much.

Edited by FinalThoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FinalThoughts said:

I think it is somebody with a large social media following on Youtube, instagram, Twitter, etc. I'm not really sure what the qualifications are.

Apparently there's a scale:

https://hypeauditor.com/blog/the-rise-of-nano-influencers-how-many-followers-do-you-need-to-become-an-instagram-influencer/

I agree with you, I have no idea who Logan Paul is, but I think this is a good thing in terms of potentially get a few more people to participate in wrestling.

The best suggestion I've probably seen (c/o the "Stalemates" podcast) for someone that might be able to beat him would be kbnoswag, a blogger for barstool and creator of the All Ears team (https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1507502/2019-2020-ncaa-wrestling-all-ear-team).   I had no idea but apparently he has 250K twitter followers.   He wrestled at Kent State, but apparently this Paul character would likely have a size advantage on him.

Several people have mentioned Palacio, but not sure if he qualifies, looks like he's about 25-30K followers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FinalThoughts said:

Logan Paul is one of the most popular youtube and social media influencer's on the internet. He has recently been offering a challenge to wrestle and defeat any influencer in a collegiate wrestling match. He has put up a reward of $10,000 to any influencer who can successfully defeat him in a wrestling match. On his most recent podcast (Impaulsive) with two other huge social media influencer The Dolan Twins, he found a potential match. Logan Paul wrestled in high school and was 5th in the Ohio State Championship's his senior year, Meanwhile the Dolan brother said he had 11 years experience in wrestling. This podcast will easily reach over a million views on youtube in a week. I believe this is bringing a lot of attention to the sport of wrestling and will put a ton of new eyes n the sport. 

Is this good or bad for the sport of wrestling?

Personally, i think this is amazing for the sport and exactly what we need. Wrestling has struggled with becoming cool in popular culture. This alone will bring the sport of wrestling to the attention of younger generations at a level greater than anything else we have seen before. For this reason i believe we need to support these type of matches and as a community show our support. I commented my support in the comment section and mentioned the problem we're facing in the NCAA with wrestling being dropped from many D! programs and proposed that the money be donated to any program that can help with supporting the future of D1 wrestling. I insist you do the same. Like i said this will bring wrestling to the attention of million viewers who might not have known what wrestling was and this alone will generate enough buzz to encourage many kids to try out for wrestling. I'll link the video to the podcast, They start talking about wrestling at the end of the video around the 1:05:12 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1J76Q9Ts0

How big is he? I might take the challenge just to crush a scrawny little guy :D  I've been jonesing to kick the **** out of somebody for quite a while, to be honest.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Apparently there's a scale:

https://hypeauditor.com/blog/the-rise-of-nano-influencers-how-many-followers-do-you-need-to-become-an-instagram-influencer/

I agree with you, I have no idea who Logan Paul is, but I think this is a good thing in terms of potentially get a few more people to participate in wrestling.

The best suggestion I've probably seen (c/o the "Stalemates" podcast) for someone that might be able to beat him would be kbnoswag, a blogger for barstool and creator of the All Ears team (https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1507502/2019-2020-ncaa-wrestling-all-ear-team).   I had no idea but apparently he has 250K twitter followers.   He wrestled at Kent State, but apparently this Paul character would likely have a size advantage on him.

Several people have mentioned Palacio, but not sure if he qualifies, looks like he's about 25-30K followers

Palacio has I think 100k followers but then his account was deleted. He was on his way, but that set him back a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it in the HS forum, but I’ll put it here too:

 

The dude had a heck of a social media reach and makes tons of money from his following. But man it’s hard for me to get past the fact that all I ever hear or see is either him or his brother doing something moronic.  And not even counting the general stupid antic they have many time setting a pretty poor example for the youth that want to emulate them     

 

Sure something wrestling related will go out to a ton of social media people.  And I’d love some of their stream be dedicated to talking about HS/college wrestling programs and even have some of the proceeds go to help the sport.   But based on how he presents some of the other content I’ve seen I don’t know if it really going to be something that inspires many new to try wrestling.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Several people have mentioned Palacio, but not sure if he qualifies, looks like he's about 25-30K followers

For the cash he’s offering he was likely looking for a former HS wrestler he’s hoping to beat or at most a DII/DIII caliber guy he could at least be competitive with.  Although he has it to burn, I’m going to assume he’s not going to put up as much money if it’s against a decent or better former DI wrestler no matter their influencer rating.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

For the cash he’s offering he was likely looking for a former HS wrestler he’s hoping to beat or at most a DII/DIII caliber guy he could at least be competitive with.  Although he has it to burn, I’m going to assume he’s not going to put up as much money if it’s against a decent or better former DI wrestler no matter their influencer rating.  

He should holler at me , then. I was a HS stud about 40 years ago. I'd be extremely beatable! After the match I'd even visit his hospital room, just to make sure I didn't hurt him too bad :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, TobusRex said:

How big is he? I might take the challenge just to crush a scrawny little guy :D  I've been jonesing to kick the **** out of somebody for quite a while, to be honest.

The last time you “crushed a scrawny little guy” in public you picked up charges of indecent exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...