Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

How many D1 programs cut due to covid?

8 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Portland State University still has fully endowed men's and women's rioting teams.

Now that is some good humor!!  LOL!!  Well done...well done...

14 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Portland State University still has fully endowed men's and women's rioting teams.

Shocked they can field full teams after physicals.  

ODU was announced April 2 after securing a "consultant" to analyze the department to see what sport needed to be cut. One can go through my Twitter timeline to see the lack of transparency and the general disdain for common decency AD Wood Selig had for anyone, especially the wrestling team, when discussing it with the consultant. 

COVID was mentioned in passing in the release as it came three weeks after winter and spring sports were cancelled. Stanford clearly also used this as an excuse to jettison 11 sports, including men's volleyball, which has won two NCAA men's volleyball national championships, the most recent coming in 2010. 

I keep track of all the drops at http://www.mattalkonline.com/covidsports across all sports in all divisions. 

10 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

ODU was announced April 2 after securing a "consultant" to analyze the department to see what sport needed to be cut. One can go through my Twitter timeline to see the lack of transparency and the general disdain for common decency AD Wood Selig had for anyone, especially the wrestling team, when discussing it with the consultant. 

COVID was mentioned in passing in the release as it came three weeks after winter and spring sports were cancelled. Stanford clearly also used this as an excuse to jettison 11 sports, including men's volleyball, which has won two NCAA men's volleyball national championships, the most recent coming in 2010. 

I keep track of all the drops at http://www.mattalkonline.com/covidsports across all sports in all divisions. 

Can you explain what the heck those comments about fertilizer and hair nets were about?  I guess it was some kind of bad joke that went over my head.

”Dang dude” was certainly not a phrase I was expecting to see written in an email by an AD...

Selig asked Sander if the visit to one of his old schools resulted in them putting up a statue.

Sander replied saying if they put up a statue, it'd be there to catch the pidgeon droppings

Selig said maybe they could be caught on that receding hairline. 

Sander said they could bag it up and sell the pigeon droppings as fertilizer. 

Selig then said it could be a "revenue generator for wrestling" 

Basically, the AD was joking with his buddy (err, paid consultant) about the revenue wrestling generated - a full two months before the announcement was made and a full month before the final "Strategic Review" was submitted. ALSO of note that the consultant routinely came back to ODU administrators asking how to write certain things in the report. Basically, Selig (ODU) paid this guy 12K to write up some report on how to cut wrestling. 

The school apparently doesn't have a copy of the survey results - and I'm still trying to verify there was even a set of sport rankings compiled. 

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Selig asked Sander if the visit to one of his old schools resulted in them putting up a statue.

Sander replied saying if they put up a statue, it'd be there to catch the pidgeon droppings

Basically, the AD was joking with his buddy (err, paid consultant) about the revenue wrestling generated - a full two months before the announcement was made and a full month before the final "Strategic Review" was submitted. ALSO of note that the consultant routinely came back to ODU administrators asking how to write certain things in the report. Basically, Selig (ODU) paid this guy 12K to write up some report on how to cut wrestling. 

The school apparently doesn't have a copy of the survey results - and I'm still trying to verify there was even a set of sport rankings compiled. 

Is Martin involved in trying to get the program back?

13 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Got ya, thanks for the explanation.

Yeah it seemed like that's what happened from the beginning, thanks for helping prove it.

There will certainly be more after we get through this first semester.  Hypothetically, let’s say 25 programs get the axe.  How does an NCAA tournament work?  Multiple qualifiers per team, like track or swimming? 

6 hours ago, tightwaist said:

There will certainly be more after we get through this first semester.  Hypothetically, let’s say 25 programs get the axe.  How does an NCAA tournament work?  Multiple qualifiers per team, like track or swimming? 

Or maybe multi Division Championship, example let the Winners of Division 2 and 3 get to wrestle in the Division 1 Championships,  NAIA as well, but they are a different organization, so that is unlikely.

A little off topic, but if the cuts are based on whether or not Football is played, would that mean the Programs WITHOUT Football teams are safe?  If you don't have a Football team anyway obviously you wont lose money because Football is not played.