Sign in to follow this  

Iowa cutting 4 sports

15 hours ago, Sstern said:

The good news is they would cut football before wrestling.

Nice joke.....even Iowa may just break even on Wrestling. Football in a power 5 conference......one of the only football programs which make millions---most don't

1 hour ago, MPC said:

Nice joke.....even Iowa may just break even on Wrestling. Football in a power 5 conference......one of the only football programs which make millions---most don't

Iowa loses money on wrestling and while the wrestling team is held in high regard by most Iowa fans the football team is far more popular and makes a hell of a lot more money (which as we all know is the point of collegiate athletics).

Two questions:

1. How many Power 5 wrestling programs are fully endowed?

2.  If fully endowed... when an athletic department makes salary cuts, does an endowed coach's salary get cut as well?  In theory, it does not pull from the athletic budget.

Edited by lu_alum

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

The question is does wrestling survive at MSU, Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, etc. 

Rutgers in that group? Have you been following them lately...They average more paid fans in one match that those other schools have all season!

I think all B1G programs are safe. The B1G is the best wrestling conference in the country and I think the conference itself, rightly, takes pride in that. Does the B1G consistently win NCAA titles in anything other than wrestling? I don't think they do. Occasionally a B1G bball team will win the NCAA title, once a decade or so a B1G school might win the NCAA football title, but they win wrestling every damn year. Basically the only thing the B1G does GREAT is wrestling.

19 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Two questions:

2.  If fully endowed... when an athletic department makes salary cuts, does an endowed coach's salary get cut as well?  In theory, it does not pull from the athletic budget.

How much does it take to fully endow a wrestling program at D1, D2, and D3 levels? If I donated a million bucks, how far would it carry?

17 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Rutgers in that group? Have you been following them lately...They average more paid fans in one match that those other schools have all season!

That’s true, but there’s less tradition with Rutgers than the other B10 schools. Not saying it will happen though. 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think all B1G programs are safe. The B1G is the best wrestling conference in the country and I think the conference itself, rightly, takes pride in that. Does the B1G consistently win NCAA titles in anything other than wrestling? I don't think they do. Occasionally a B1G bball team will win the NCAA title, once a decade or so a B1G school might win the NCAA football title, but they win wrestling every damn year. Basically the only thing the B1G does GREAT is wrestling.

I’m not saying any will get cut, but I think Iowa cutting both Mens and women’s swimming & diving is evidence that they’re not really “safe.”  

Iowa just opened a new swim facility in 2010 and are currently scheduled to host the 2020-2021 NCAA championships.

4 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I thought it was a requirement to be a member of the Big Ten that you have a wrestling program?

@JasonBryant has commented on this in the past and can correct me if wrong- but I believe he's said the B1G doesn't require any particular sport. However, all of them do sponsor wrestling.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

How much does it take to fully endow a wrestling program at D1, D2, and D3 levels? If I donated a million bucks, how far would it carry?

Multiply the endowment by 0.04 to get a typical annual yield from the endowment. A million dollar endowment should expect to generate about $40,000 a year. 

Put another way, to fully endow a coaching position (salary and benefits = about 30% of salary), you would need (salary * 1.3)/.04. If a coach makes $70,000, you would need an endowment of about $2.275 million just to endow that one coach.

If you wanted to endow the $300,000 operating budget (no salaries) of ODU or a similar school, that would take an endowment in the range of $7.5 million.

Edited by IronChef

On 8/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, lu_alum said:

Two questions:

Okie State's scholarships and coaching salaries are all fully endowed. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Multiply the endowment by 0.04 to get a typical annual yield from the endowment. A million dollar endowment should expect to generate about $40,000 a year. 

Put another way, to fully endow a coaching position (salary and benefits = about 30% of salary), you would need (salary * 1.3)/.04. If a coach makes $70,000, you would need an endowment of about $2.275 million just to endow that one coach.

If you wanted to endow the $300,000 operating budget (no salaries) of ODU or a similar school, that would take an endowment in the range of $7.5 million.

What was ODU asking for, $25 million to be raised in the matter of about 30 seconds?

Yes, everyone freaked out about that, but $25 million is the endowment required to pay for the $1 million per year the wrestling team cost. It wasn't some slap in the face; it was a real number based on typical endowment draws.

34 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Yes, everyone freaked out about that, but $25 million is the endowment required to pay for the $1 million per year the wrestling team cost. It wasn't some slap in the face; it was a real number based on typical endowment draws.

Yes, but what he's effectively saying is that he would have wanted the entire ODU Wrestling team to be crowdsourced, with absolutely no financial backing from the institution at all. Gee, thanks, I'm sure that 1-11 football team is held to the same standard!

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I’m not saying any will get cut, but I think Iowa cutting both Mens and women’s swimming & diving is evidence that they’re not really “safe.”  

Iowa just opened a new swim facility in 2010 and are currently scheduled to host the 2020-2021 NCAA championships.

How good were the Hawkeyes swimming/diving programs?

7 hours ago, IronChef said:

Damn. Well if it takes that much I can't do much to help.