Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Three weeks from today

Is when Stanford University will begin their fall 2020 Autumn quarter (which is only 2 months in length).  The start date is September 14, 2020 and it ends Nov. 20, 2020. 

I bring this up because of the status of Real Woods and Shane Griffith.  Woods entered the NCAA transfer portal within days of the announcement that the 2020-2021 season would be the LAST season for the Stanford wrestling team.   Shane Griffith has not entered the NCAA transfer portal and appears to be staying at Stanford for their last wrestling season.

But as it pertains to Real Woods one has to wonder if he is, in fact, going to transfer elsewhere, or simply stay put at Stanford.   With only 3 weeks to go before classes begin at Stanford it would seem he's running out of time to transfer elsewhere.

I'm a little shocked that Woods is the ONLY Stanford wrestler who has entered the transfer portal.  At least he's the only one I know of to date who has entered the transfer portal.

As to transfers,  leaving Stanford is a hard task if you are concerned about academics.  They tend to be pretty generous with the aid packages to students based on need. If you transfer you give that up and have to hope for something similar or wrestling money.  

Even a RS SO this year is 3 years into the program, you might want to take the $ and get a degree and try as a graduate transfer.  

3 hours ago, aknipp said:

As to transfers,  leaving Stanford is a hard task if you are concerned about academics.  They tend to be pretty generous with the aid packages to students based on need. If you transfer you give that up and have to hope for something similar or wrestling money.  

Even a RS SO this year is 3 years into the program, you might want to take the $ and get a degree and try as a graduate transfer.  

Exactly.  One of the premier schools in the country as well.  

I think a lot of things come into play here. You can take a Covid year off. Transfer would be seamless if program doesn’t get reinstated in a year.  Other programs have many things up in the air with Covid as well. Do they fit in the lineup at these other schools when all the Covid settles and athletics resumes. A lot of moving parts with no answers right now. 

Apparently a few of you are unaware that Real Woods has already entered the transfer portal AND that he said in a mini-interview that he was looking to transfer to an Ivy League school.  So this discussion about academics and financial aid packages appears a bit foolish at best.

5 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Do you have access to the portal? Where can we find these names?

The only people who have access to the NCAA transfer portal are administrators and coaches on NCAA member school campuses.  I am neither one of those two.

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

Apparently a few of you are unaware that Real Woods has already entered the transfer portal AND that he said in a mini-interview that he was looking to transfer to an Ivy League school.  So this discussion about academics and financial aid packages appears a bit foolish at best.

Yes Woods wants to transfer and continue.  I expect Griffith would as well. But I thought the post was about the other members of the team 

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

I don’t think he said he definitely wanted to transfer, just that if he did he’d want to go to an Ivy League school.  And so if he went to an Ivy League school, wouldn’t discussing financial aid packages be relevant?

11 hours ago, Bronco said:

Is when Stanford University will begin their fall 2020 Autumn quarter (which is only 2 months in length).  The start date is September 14, 2020 and it ends Nov. 20, 2020. 

I bring this up because of the status of Real Woods and Shane Griffith.  Woods entered the NCAA transfer portal within days of the announcement that the 2020-2021 season would be the LAST season for the Stanford wrestling team.   Shane Griffith has not entered the NCAA transfer portal and appears to be staying at Stanford for their last wrestling season.

But as it pertains to Real Woods one has to wonder if he is, in fact, going to transfer elsewhere, or simply stay put at Stanford.   With only 3 weeks to go before classes begin at Stanford it would seem he's running out of time to transfer elsewhere.

I'm a little shocked that Woods is the ONLY Stanford wrestler who has entered the transfer portal.  At least he's the only one I know of to date who has entered the transfer portal.

They'd be nuts to transfer anywhere. Get the Stanford degree while it's paid for.  But if they can't resist competing for a team I'm sure Coach Roselli would be thrilled to have them.

They should get their degrees and compete in open tourneys to keep sharp.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

They'd be nuts to transfer anywhere. Get the Stanford degree while it's paid for.  But if they can't resist competing for a team I'm sure Coach Roselli would be thrilled to have them.

They should get their degrees and compete in open tourneys to keep sharp.

It would be nuts to transfer to an Ivy League school?  Ok.....

Edited by Idaho

6 hours ago, Bronco said:

Except for the fact that you said: 

But as it pertains to Real Woods one has to wonder if he is, in fact, going to transferelsewhere, or simply stay put at Stanford.

40 minutes ago, Idaho said:

It would be nuts to transfer to an Ivy League school?  Ok.....

Except that the aid one gets as a transfer is typically significantly lower than you get as an incoming FR.   For someone like Woods that may not matter.  

Idaho, I'm not with you on this one.  Stanford is THE school.  Acceptance dates lower than any Ivy, with weather and lifestyle some would consider vastly superior to their East coast competitors.  Considering the financial side will be honored, there is a strong argument to stay and shift focus to the international styles.  If there are legitimate training opportunities within a reasonable drive, one could be just as invested in their wrestling progress attached to a club rather than their academic affiliation.  This line of thinking does require removal of some American bias, where to many the NCAA D1 is the pinnacle.

This argument doesn't hold up nearly as well for most kids at most places.  Shane and Real aren't most kids. Stanford isn't most places.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Which IVY school is better than Stanford? 

I'll answer for you: NONE of them. 

The more intelligent answer would be: It depends on what program you are in and what you are pursuing. Please don't discredit Princeton or Cornell as inferior to Stanford in all respects.Overall rankings, yes.  If Marshall wants to do mechanical engineering, Princeton is the place to go between the two. If he wants to do Mathematics, Stanford - but Princeton is right behind them.Space sciences, Princeton. Physics - Stanford. Geosciences- Princeton.....and so forth. I am sure that he will be fine in finding a job in his field by graduating from Princeton or Cornell. 

As a side note - Marshall could stay at Stanford and graduate early and only miss a semester of wrestling before transferring. 

38 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Too bad they will pay 200k+ more for an average house in CA than NJ.  That cost of living thing tends to skew starting salaries. 

43 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I'm pretty sure there are no geographic limitations on where they are allowed to earn those starting salaries.

Nope...but given that Stanford is a pipeline to Silicon Valley, cost of living does play a part. You are correct -they can go anywhere. There is the aspect that the places closest to the schools are certainly recruiting.  

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Nope...but given that Stanford is a pipeline to Silicon Valley, cost of living does play a part. You are correct -they can go anywhere. There is the aspect that the places closest to the schools are certainly recruiting.  

And now that companies like Google and Facebook are encouraging geographic diversity and working from home maybe they will be in Idaho?

12 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Idaho, I'm not with you on this one.  Stanford is THE school.  Acceptance dates lower than any Ivy, with weather and lifestyle some would consider vastly superior to their East coast competitors.  Considering the financial side will be honored, there is a strong argument to stay and shift focus to the international styles.  If there are legitimate training opportunities within a reasonable drive, one could be just as invested in their wrestling progress attached to a club rather than their academic affiliation.  This line of thinking does require removal of some American bias, where to many the NCAA D1 is the pinnacle.

This argument doesn't hold up nearly as well for most kids at most places.  Shane and Real aren't most kids. Stanford isn't most places.

As I stated before, I agree in general but it will depend on your program. Feel free to look at program rankings. You will see there are some that are superior at Princeton. Woods and Griffith are both “undeclared” majors so it’s pretty open for them. 
BTW they are both on the updated 20-21 roster at Stanford. Not that it couldn’t change. And...They could both stay, do summer school and graduate early and only miss a semester of wrestling.