Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Three weeks from today

12 hours ago, aknipp said:

Except that the aid one gets as a transfer is typically significantly lower than you get as an incoming FR.   For someone like Woods that may not matter.  

When aid is need-based in the Ivy League, why would that be?

29 minutes ago, klehner said:

When aid is need-based in the Ivy League, why would that be?

Because a portion comes as grants (which you don;t pay back) and the rest loans, which you do.  So,  yes if a wrestler transfers to Princeton the % of aid that is loans will likely go up.  That  is hard $ out of the pocket.   

6 hours ago, aknipp said:

Because a portion comes as grants (which you don;t pay back) and the rest loans, which you do.  So,  yes if a wrestler transfers to Princeton the % of aid that is loans will likely go up.  That  is hard $ out of the pocket.   

Again:  why is the need-based aid apportioned differently for transfers?  Why is it "likely"?

Again:  why is the need-based aid apportioned differently for transfers?  Why is it "likely"?

It’s not. From the Princeton website:

Is financial aid available for transfer students?
Yes, Princeton guarantees to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for all undergraduate students, regardless of year of entry. This includes tuition, room and board, and other expenses for all years of undergraduate study. Students are not required to take out a loan; they can graduate free of debt from Princeton.

Are there any limits or disadvantages in applying for financial aid as a transfer student, compared to first-year students?
No, admission is need-blind for all students, whether applying as transfer or first-year students. There is no disadvantage in the admission process to students applying for financial aid.

13 minutes ago, IronChef said:

It’s not. From the Princeton website:

Is financial aid available for transfer students?
Yes, Princeton guarantees to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for all undergraduate students, regardless of year of entry. This includes tuition, room and board, and other expenses for all years of undergraduate study. Students are not required to take out a loan; they can graduate free of debt from Princeton.

Are there any limits or disadvantages in applying for financial aid as a transfer student, compared to first-year students?
No, admission is need-blind for all students, whether applying as transfer or first-year students. There is no disadvantage in the admission process to students applying for financial aid.

I stand corrected on the Ivies. From my experience with 2 kids in college aid changed if someone transferred in. 

1 hour ago, aknipp said:

I stand corrected on the Ivies. From my experience with 2 kids in college aid changed if someone transferred in. 

It's possible that methodology changed recently. It wasn't that long ago they greatly increased the need formula to do what was quoted. So it's possible that before that transfers did not get the same. Also, have all Ivies gone to this yet? I thought Princeton was the first.

16 hours ago, aknipp said:

Yeah, the Ivy League (and Stanford, for that matter) are not necessarily representative. I know that many schools have smaller academic awards for transfers vs. freshmen.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Yeah, the Ivy League (and Stanford, for that matter) are not necessarily representative. I know that many schools have smaller academic awards for transfers vs. freshmen.

Yeah the schools in question were not Ivy (though close), Washington U in STL and Tulane.  Kids were told in no uncertain terms that aid they would get as a FR woul dbe less if they transfer in. 

7 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Am I getting this right, he will be matriculating at Standford in the fall. 

From the Flo article:

If the program is not reinstated, Woods will likely work to finish his degree by December 2021 and then move on as a graduate transfer and be eligible second semester of the 2021-22 season for his new school.