Coach_J

Iranian Friends

4 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

sad news. That part of the world functions much differently than us. And these scumbags still have the nerve to disrespect the American flag with no repercussions.  

Ah yes, because prosecuting individuals for "disrespecting symbols of the state" will make us less like Iran and not more.

You ever trip over those clown shoes you wear?

Edited by wrestlingphish

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Hassan Yazdani's instagram comments is full of anger right now 

I just spent 5 minutes to read some comments, most of them are stupid, sad, etc. even though you can't judge on social media because you don't know who is behind that account. can be a bot (specially from Albania), can be a 15 years old kid. etc. but this is stupid they expected him to say something. this is another kind of dictatorship. anybody is free to support or not support whatever he wants.

personally I never support any kind of activity unless I'm fully informed about the case (and in this case I'm not) based on IOC statement, Iran NOC and IAWF (Iran wrestling) were trying to do something for him. but when something gets "international" the IR usually acts with no mercy, they want to show they are "tough" ! his family managed to make him the "World Champion Wrestler" but that necessarily didn't help him.

btw fortunately/unfortunately people have short memories, in 5 days another bad news will happen and nobody will remember his name anymore. and these days bad news keep coming.

7 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

sad news. That part of the world functions much differently than us. And these scumbags still have the nerve to disrespect the American flag with no repercussions.  

this thread is about an iranian wrestler being executed but somehow you still managed to make it about the american flag. 

congrats.

Is there a more self-centred and ignorant group in the world than Americans like you? 

3 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Ah yes, because prosecuting individuals for "disrespecting symbols of the state" will make us less like Iran and not more.

You ever trip over those clown shoes you wear?

Those kneelers should be happy they live in America. Clearly protest like this can end badly in other parts of the world. But keep rioting clown 

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

this thread is about an iranian wrestler being executed but somehow you still managed to make it about the american flag. 

congrats.

Is there a more self-centred and ignorant group in the world than Americans like you? 

Haha maybe!! My point was people don’t know how good they have it. We came across some boxes of papers while in Iraq and many had execution orders handed down from Saddam for offenses that were similar to Afkaris. Just a reminder I am in America so that is my priority.  

17 minutes ago, The Genius said:

congrats.

Yes.  The leadership in Iran, for starters.

In light of what we know about false convictions, corruption, polictial agendas, disinformation, and econoimic disparity,  it is sickening and barbaric that any nation continues with executions/capital punishment... oh...wait a minute...  'Murica!  Never mind.

Edited by matts1w

Regardless of what has happened, I think that we Americans can agree that the spirit that is Iranian wrestling is inspiring if you have ever seen a world competition. They are incredible fans and they are our brothers, regardless of leadership. I'm not the most kumbaya guy on the planet, but the Iranians understand the USA better than anyone else in the Middle East. I would love to go there and talk wrestling with the greatest fans on the planet. And always remember that fandom ensures the future of the sport.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Even if he did it (I’d still guess not), that was what, 2 years from the time he was arrested to being executed?  That’s pretty short, is that typical in Iran?

It's not like America where you can spend decades on death row with appeals and such. Stupid system in Iran, need to scrap death penalty entirely in my opinion. Even if they use it with good intentions (they are not) they will execute innocent people inevitably even if it is by accident. 

Not sure if I understand right but it seems some are using this to say don't complain here in America because Iran is worse. I don't live in the USA and never been there but I disagree. Iran is an Islamic theocracy, one of the dumbest systems of government in the world. Low bar to be better than in terms of personal freedoms if the bar is Iran, lol. How can you even have an Islamic theocracy? Unless I am incorrect and missed a big news story Islam (or any religion) was never proven to be true. And I have talked to more religious Iranians about this and unfortunately they had nothing to say to me after I read the Quran and wasn't impressed. If i'm wrong please inform me because I wouldn't want to miss out on beautiful women in heaven lol.  Iran is also paradise compared to North Korea so maybe they shouldn't complain. Also true as others have said that sanctions are killing many Iranians. 

On 9/12/2020 at 3:15 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Those kneelers should be happy they live in America. Clearly protest like this can end badly in other parts of the world. But keep rioting clown 

You seem conflicted to me.  On the one hand you are happy and proud of the freedoms that the US system offers its citizen (and rightly so), on the other hand you seem very upset at people who take advantage of such freedoms by protesting.

Edited by irani

This article on the BBC reports that he was a national champion. Is there any evidence that this is true?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54129949

This one from The Independent claims he was a Greco-Roman national champion

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/navid-afkari-executed-iran-death-penalty-wrestling-champion-anti-government-protests-b431277.html

Edited by IronChef

49 minutes ago, IronChef said:

This article on the BBC reports that he was a national champion. Is there any evidence that this is true?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54129949

This one from The Independent claims he was a Greco-Roman national champion

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/navid-afkari-executed-iran-death-penalty-wrestling-champion-anti-government-protests-b431277.html

I have not found any evidence:

• He is not in the UWW database.  In theory he could be a national champion and never participate in international competition and therefore not be in the UWW database, but this is not very likely in my opinion.
  • Our own encylopedia, @wrestfan had not heard of him.  That means a lot to me.

Whether he was a champion or not, this is a tragic story.  The stories about his wrestling accomplishment make me doubt the authenticity of the the remainer of the story.
Edited by irani

4 hours ago, irani said:

You seem conflicted to me.  On the one hand you are happy and proud of the freedoms that the US system offers its citizen (and rightly so), on the other hand you seem very upset an people who take advantage of such freedoms by protesting.

this is a pretty typical redneck mentality here in the US...

3 hours ago, irani said:

I have not found any evidence:

• He is not in the UWW database.  In theory he could be a national champion and never participate in international competition and therefore not be in the UWW database, but this is not very likely in my opinion.
  • Our own encylopedia, @wrestfan had not heard of him.  That means a lot to me.

Whether he was a champion or not, this is a tragic story.  The stories about his wrestling accomplishment make me doubt the authenticity of the the remainer of the story.

I thought most of the articles just said "champion."  I mean I guess being the Tehran Jr. League Invitational champion still makes you a "champion"

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

It's not like America where you can spend decades on death row with appeals and such.

it usually takes longer than 2 years. there are 2 or 3 methods to appeal and while his lawyers wanted to try something else. they heard the news about the execution. they weren't expecting it this soon at all. also for religious reasons they never execute anybody in this time of the year.

that was kind of a message to everybody (specially non-Iranians) that we don't care about what you say. the more you talk, the less we listen.

few weeks ago there was something similar about 3 other kids (they weren't guilty of murder though) and they eventually stopped the execution, but they probably thought if we do this again, people will consider it as a sign of weakness. and right now considering the current situation they think they can't afford to look "weak"

Edited by wrestfan

I thought most of the articles just said "champion."  I mean I guess being the Tehran Jr. League Invitational champion still makes you a "champion"

Most have said that, but the two I cited made the national champion claim. I agree that "champion wrestler" allows a lot of leeway, which is why I was asking. It's incredibly tragic even if he wasn't a wrestler at all.

10 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Most have said that, but the two I cited made the national champion claim. I agree that "champion wrestler" allows a lot of leeway, which is why I was asking. It's incredibly tragic even if he wasn't a wrestler at all.

and one of the articles referred to him as a "high profile and popular champion" .  I just don't think that is true

As you said, this is tragic either way

9 hours ago, wrestfan said:

it usually takes longer than 2 years. there are 2 or 3 methods to appeal and while his lawyers wanted to try something else. they heard the news about the execution. they weren't expecting it this soon at all. also for religious reasons they never execute anybody in this time of the year.

that was kind of a message to everybody (specially non-Iranians) that we don't care about what you say. the more you talk, the less we listen.

few weeks ago there was something similar about 3 other kids (they weren't guilty of murder though) and they eventually stopped the execution, but they probably thought if we do this again, people will consider it as a sign of weakness. and right now considering the current situation they think they can't afford to look "weak"

Agree that they didn't want to bow to international pressure but unless I am mistaken the time is still much less than in America to implement the death penalty.

Example: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez

This guy killed 14 people and was arrested in 1985, he died of cancer in prison still awaiting the death penalty in 2013.