Sign in to follow this  
RPKD

RIP Eddie Urbano

It is being reported on the various FB pages that Eddie Urbano, 1985 NCAA champion and 1988 Olympic Trials runner up passed away today. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

One of his college coaches called me about his passing. Eddie was the first wrestler from Sunnyside to qualify academically for ASU, he had to go to JUCO after his freshman year. Got his grades up and came back to become the first NCAA champ for Bobby Douglas at ASU.

Eddie would go to Las Vegas for the Open chsmpionships at about 180, which meant he was not lean. Walking out there with a pot belly the young guys would be laughing before the match started. I would warn them he may win, because at his best he was way better than the guy he wrestled when he was in his prime. He'd almost always pull at least one upset, kind of like Lewboo, he just enjoyed competing, and had a big bag of tricks.

He'll be missed, very nice and colorful guy.

Why?

Jeeez. This is a tough one. And (prior to taking ones own life) none of us can really know what a person is feeling. Or , just what, is going on deep in this persons inner-most thoughts.

Here is a small piece of what I (we) know about a sad , truly thought provoking act such as Eddie's suicide. At the very end.....everything , I mean every part of his being becomes so dark. Darker than we can ever imagine. Just before the individual takes their life.....all they can think about is ---how can I get away and---or-- out of this darkness ? Again, this sort of darkness causes lots and lots of intense pain. Such a painful/dark existence is difficult (for most of us) to imagine , unless , you have been there.

RIP Eddie

BA: I am not sure it was the Open Championship in Vegas. I thought it was the Sunkist Open. I was there and watched him make it to the finals (f memory serves me correct) schooling everyone along the way.. It was Eddie being Eddie.. He was such a legend… He was THE Legend of Tucson.. All of us in the wrestling community in Tucson loved Eddie.

I remember him coming to my Jr. High and doing a 3 day clinic with a bunch of us.. It was the highlight of my life at that time. To see this legend ad being able to spar with him even in doing drills..

I am so deeply saddened by this. He was such a vibrant happy person and took anyone under his arm to help them.. He is the Legend of Sunnyside but also of Tucson..

You will be missed.. :cry:

RIP Eddie..

Eddie wrestled in both the Sunkist and Open tournaments. When i lived in Az the Western Junior Regionals would be held in conjunction with the National Open. Eddie would always knock off some college stud. He'd be behind on points and getting a pin.