portajohn

Top 5 Athletes from Another Sport

10 hours ago, Earl said:

There's also a legendary story about Brian Urlacher trying to bully kickboxer and early MMA-pioneer Bas Rutten. Urlacher asked him to step outside to which Rutten replied "Sure". Someone told Urlacher who Bas was and he backed down....so I don't know about him. 

Heard this story as well. Started with Rutten being overserved and spilling a drink on Casey Urlacher. Brian stepped in but situation was de-escalated before Rutten had a chance to straighten him out.

25 minutes ago, raslindad said:

I always thought Walter could have been an Olympic athlete

This is true of soooooooo many NFL players, hell, even some backups. In the USA, our best athletes play football or Basketball with a high school and college athletic system that is far and away better than every other country in the world. 

Simone Biles would have been a great one. 

Tyson would have been an interesting one to see in his prime

Bolt looks the wrestler

Agree on Thorpe... would have dominated...reminds me of being in the realm of Danny Hodge. 

Dale Earnhardt.....can't go wrong with his mentality and his nickname.

Kazushi Sakuraba...his base was catch wrestling and then he transitioned into MMA. Many people believe he had the best single leg in MMA of all time. His nickname was “The Gracie Hunter”. He was the first to beat a Gracie, he broke Renzos Arm, and then had a legendary fight with no rules or time limit or time limit against Royce. After fighting for 1 1/2 hours Gracies Corner threw the towel in. I have no Doubt if went all in on freestyle or Greco he would be very successful.

14 hours ago, Idaho said:

Simone Biles would have been a great one.

Obviously she has the mental and athletic skillset, but man she'd make Victoria Anthony look like Brock Lesnar out there.  Would be giving up some size even at the lightest weight, but would be fun to watch

Edited by Gantry

Being a great athlete does not translate into being a great wrestler.  I have talked to many very good athletes that tried wrestling and they admitted that it was the hardest sport they ever did and did like it all.  I know that many of the above mentioned were no doubt tough but being wrestling tough is a special thing. JMO 

On 9/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, Earl said:

There's also a legendary story about Brian Urlacher trying to bully kickboxer and early MMA-pioneer Bas Rutten. Urlacher asked him to step outside to which Rutten replied "Sure". Someone told Urlacher who Bas was and he backed down....so I don't know about him. 

That's pretty cool, never heard it before. On a similar note I remember reading a story years ago about Tom Erikson, former AA HWT wrestler from OSU, working as a bouncer one night in Norman, Oklahoma and kicking the crap out of Mark Hutson, who was a fantastic offensive lineman for the National Champ Sooners (1985). Anyway typed in a search and bam, there it was!!!

https://ssl.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=440520

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Yeah and a little bit of a floppy one at that ...could have at least went with Daley and had him Twitter war wit PD3. 

To be fair, Arnie was a superstar golfer. He might've been a pretty good athlete in his youth (he just wasted it on the links instead of a mat).

On 9/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, portajohn said:

If I had to pick one big man it'd be a toss up between Shaq and Hakeem Olajuwon

Remember when the painfully thin and weak looking Hakeem beat the Fridge in that boxing match? I thought Fridge was about to have a heart attack and die!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:13 PM, Billyhoyle said:

In terms of athletes who have the quickness/balance that I think is key to wrestling I'd go with Barry Sanders for men's wrestling and Simone Biles for women's wrestling.  I agree that Bo Jackson is a better pure athlete than Sanders, but imagine Sanders in scrambles and his ability to quickly explode/change directions. I feel like those skills are more translatable.   Nobody has a better football highlight tape than Barry Sanders, and I can't imagine what his wrestling highlight tape would be-but I'd love to see it.  

I agree with what you are saying about Barry, but I would still take Bo.  Bo could be a full-sized college heavyweight, whereas Barry would be too big for 197 and a really undersized heavyweight.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, GoNotQuietly said:

Mike Tyson

Serena Williams

Michael Jordan

Simon Biles

Georges St. Pierre

Vasyl Lomachenko or Floyd Mayweather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Pierre for sure!!!!

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I agree with what you are saying about Barry, but I would still take Bo.  Bo could be a full-sized college heavyweight, whereas Barry would be too big for 197 and a really undersized heavyweight.

Barry wasn't a real big guy. Just looked up his playing weight in the NFL and it was 200-203 pounds. I think he could've easily pulled 3-6 pounds. But back then it was 190, not 197, which would be a tougher pull. Plus, Barry didn't look like he had much fat on him, would've been a lot tougher pull than it was for me (I'd drop 10-15 pounds of "football fat" within the first week or two of wrestling season start!). I think the biggest problem for Barry would've been his very short height for a 190 pounder: 5'8".  Plus, I don't think Barry was tough enough for wrestling either, I still remember how he retired from the NFL in a hissy fit because he knew he'd never play in a Superbowl.

I remember the summer of 1988 in Stillwater. OSU had been halfway decent at football for a couple years and all the Cowboy fans were super bummed out because Thurman Thomas had gotten drafted. I asked one of my buddies "So...who are they going to have replacing Thurman?". He replied "Some guy named Barry Sanders. Career benchwarmer". Pretty funny in retrospect :D

Barry wasn't a real big guy. Just looked up his playing weight in the NFL and it was 200-203 pounds. I think he could've easily pulled 3-6 pounds. But back then it was 190, not 197, which would be a tougher pull. Plus, Barry didn't look like he had much fat on him, would've been a lot tougher pull than it was for me (I'd drop 10-15 pounds of "football fat" within the first week or two of wrestling season start!). I think the biggest problem for Barry would've been his very short height for a 190 pounder: 5'8".  Plus, I don't think Barry was tough enough for wrestling either, I still remember how he retired from the NFL in a hissy fit because he knew he'd never play in a Superbowl.
I remember the summer of 1988 in Stillwater. OSU had been halfway decent at football for a couple years and all the Cowboy fans were super bummed out because Thurman Thomas had gotten drafted. I asked one of my buddies "So...who are they going to have replacing Thurman?". He replied "Some guy named Barry Sanders. Career benchwarmer". Pretty funny in retrospect :D
If we assume that wrestling was their chosen sport from a young age, then Barry wouldn't have likely added as much muscle. Hell, Jordan Burroughs is 5'8 and Kyle Dake is listed at 5'9" and they are both pretty solid. If Barry had gone the wrestling route, he could have wrestled less than 190. I think guys like Bolt or MJ would have a much tougher time fitting into a weight class. Bo would have been a great heavy. Similar size to Curt Angle with incomparable athleticism.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk