portajohn

Top 5 Athletes from Another Sport

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I agree with what you are saying about Barry, but I would still take Bo.  Bo could be a full-sized college heavyweight, whereas Barry would be too big for 197 and a really undersized heavyweight.

You may be right that Bo Jackson would be more successful as a wrestler-I'm not so sure, but it's hard to bet against a guy who was an all star in two different professional sports.  But I would still rather see Barry Sanders the wrestler because of his quickness/balance and the highlights that would result from that.  I feel like Bo would just overwhelm people and would be less fun to watch.  

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

You may be right that Bo Jackson would be more successful as a wrestler-I'm not so sure, but it's hard to bet against a guy who was an all star in two different professional sports.  But I would still rather see Barry Sanders the wrestler because of his quickness/balance and the highlights that would result from that.  I feel like Bo would just overwhelm people and would be less fun to watch.  

What about Brian Bosworth's career would suggest Bo just overwhelmed people?

15 hours ago, Crotalus said:

If we assume that wrestling was their chosen sport from a young age, then Barry wouldn't have likely added as much muscle. Hell, Jordan Burroughs is 5'8 and Kyle Dake is listed at 5'9" and they are both pretty solid. If Barry had gone the wrestling route, he could have wrestled less than 190. I think guys like Bolt or MJ would have a much tougher time fitting into a weight class. Bo would have been a great heavy. Similar size to Curt Angle with incomparable athleticism.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

At the higher weights being only 5'8" would be pretty tough to overcome, but it's certainly possible. One of the toughest guys at state in my weight class my Sr year was a kid from Perry who was about 5'8". 

Concur that Bo would've been a stud on the mat. I don't know if he'd have been D1 good, mind you, but I think a guy with his power/athleticism would've been tough to beat unless he had poor technique, and even then he'd be a handful for most. 

I'm not so sure on MJ or Usain Bolt. Those guys don't look all that strong to me, despite their athleticism, and I think they would fare very poorly on the mat. All arms and legs, lots of places to grab onto them and do bad thing's to 'em. Shaq, on the other hand, is a pretty strong dude and I think he might've fared pretty well at HWT (I read he benched 375 pounds, which is amazing for guys with arms that long). Shaq is around 325 pounds per Wikipedia, so he'd have to lose some baby fat. 

36 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

At the higher weights being only 5'8" would be pretty tough to overcome, but it's certainly possible. One of the toughest guys at state in my weight class my Sr year was a kid from Perry who was about 5'8". 

Concur that Bo would've been a stud on the mat. I don't know if he'd have been D1 good, mind you, but I think a guy with his power/athleticism would've been tough to beat unless he had poor technique, and even then he'd be a handful for most. 

I'm not so sure on MJ or Usain Bolt. Those guys don't look all that strong to me, despite their athleticism, and I think they would fare very poorly on the mat. All arms and legs, lots of places to grab onto them and do bad thing's to 'em. Shaq, on the other hand, is a pretty strong dude and I think he might've fared pretty well at HWT (I read he benched 375 pounds, which is amazing for guys with arms that long). Shaq is around 325 pounds per Wikipedia, so he'd have to lose some baby fat. 

Bolt doesn't look strong?

fa0891fb5d77e658d31daf3a2c6b1de6.jpg

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Bolt doesn't look strong?

fa0891fb5d77e658d31daf3a2c6b1de6.jpg

I'm sure he's stronger than an average dude for his weight and he doesn't look like he's got any fat on him, but he looks pretty gracile to me for a guy in his weight class. I think he'd get dusted by stronger wrestlers. I know I'd have immediately locked up a collar tie and tried to throw a guy built that way. I think he'd have gotten bullied around the mat alot, and his high center of gravity wouldn't help much.

Edited by TobusRex

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm sure he's stronger than an average dude for his weight and he doesn't look like he's got any fat on him, but he looks pretty gracile to me for a guy in his weight class. I think he'd get dusted by stronger wrestlers. I know I'd have immediately locked up a collar tie and tried to throw a guy built that way. I think he'd have gotten bullied around the mat alot, and his high center of gravity wouldn't help much.

Yeah maybe, if he hadn’t already blast doubled you to your back.  As they say...speed kills. 

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Yeah maybe, if he hadn’t already blast doubled you to your back.  As they say...speed kills. 

I don't think foot speed like in sprinting is the same thing as quickness on the mat. The thing that makes Usain so fast in sprinting is his ridiculously long stride, he looks like he's jogging while blowing other guys out of the water. He isn't going to be using that stride when I've got a headlock none too gently applied and his face is turning various shades of purple. 

On 9/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, Drake_Mallard said:

Come on Faedzev!

practice-we-talkin-bout-practice.jpg

Hey.....my guys developed everyday in the practice room....I had as many as 100 (too many)....I had to cut, but I averaged 54 in my room (at the end of the year).....every practice was crucial...so much to learn, and so much to get into the nervous system.   During a 30+  year career, I walked out of my room ranting and raving....my blood pressure had to be over the top....2 times.....and I think 3 times I kicked kids out of the room.  I, of course came back in .....sat them all down and had an important talk with them......the 3 that got kicked out.....2 of them came back.....So YES.....WE TALKIN' BOUT PRACTICE.......I LOVE IT!!!!!

Fadz

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think Bolt would be OK, but if we’re talking track and field I think I’d rather see someone like Carl Lewis (same high school as James Green)

If we're talking track, I'll tale Bob Hayes and Rafer Johnson....there were some great thowers that would have been great heavywts.  How about Al Oerter....4 Olympics/4 gold in the discus.

Edited by fadzaev2