Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Josh Shields is listed on Arizona State's 2020-2021 wrestling team roster

Josh Shields was listed on the 2019-2020 ASU wrestling team roster as a RS Senior.   And he has, in fact, been wrestling at ASU for 5 seasons - including his RS year in 2015-2016.  Yet, somehow, he is listed on the 2020-2021 ASU wrestling team roster as a Graduate Student.    Did he somehow get an additional year of eligibility or is this simply an error on the part of whoever put this ASU roster together for 2020-2021?  I also noticed that whoever put this roster together for ASU failed to include any of the incoming freshmen and any of the incoming transfers from other schools:

https://thesundevils.com/sports/wrestling/roster

Has to be an error as his Bio has him wrestling in 4 Pac-12 championships.  He wouldn't qualify for a 5th year with already having wrestled in 4 conference championships.   I wouldn't think it would be possible anyway.      

Maybe the best phrase that would sum up this (first) attempt at a 2020-2021 Arizona State wrestling team roster might be "A work in progress".  Clearly there is more work that needs to be done.

Already announced he signed with Sunkist. Gotta be an error. Freshman and transfers are partially on there now. Must be a working in progress. 

I do know Norfleet has gotten another year. He has 2 years of eligibility remaining. 

Edited by gobraves101905

8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Already announced he signed with Sunkist. Gotta be an error. Freshman and transfers are partially on there now. Must be a working in progress. 

I do know Norfleet has gotten another year. He has 2 years of eligibility remaining. 

Looks like someone at ASU reads this forum as Shields has now been removed from the ASU roster and the freshmen and transfers have been added to the roster for 2020-2021.

11 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

The roster page has A Valencia taking two redshirts as well. How long has that guy been in college? 5?6?

Z and A both redshirted at ASU as true freshmen for the 2015-2016 season and Anthony also utilized that season as an Olympic redshirt. Or at least that is my understanding of it.  That allowed him to use the 2018-2019 season as his NCAA redshirt year.  That also allowed Josh Shields to move up from 157 lbs to 165 lbs for that 2018-2019 season - to replace A V.

Z - apparently - did not use the 2015-2016 season as an Olympic RS year.