Anybody who follows the UFC has seen the, "i took tainted supplements" excuse 1000 times...But this one actually kind of funny.  Supposedly his dad is taking designer drugs meant to have similar effects as anabolic steroids despite not being an athlete....Who in their right mind would do that? And supposedly Fix is drinking his dad's mystery drinks rather than something like gatorade?  Yeah, sure, that makes a ton of sense.  

I feel duped now that I rooted for Fix over Gilman...It is pretty easy to dislike Gilman based on how he acts, but you have to respect him as a competitor. It's too bad this suspension ends in February-Fix doesn't deserve to be eligible for the 2021 olympics.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

57 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Anybody who follows the UFC has seen the, "i took tainted supplements" excuse 1000 times...But this one actually kind of funny.  Supposedly his dad is taking designer drugs meant to have similar effects as anabolic steroids despite not being an athlete....Who in their right mind would do that? And supposedly Fix is drinking his dad's mystery drinks rather than something like gatorade?  Yeah, sure, that makes a ton of sense.  

I feel duped now that I rooted for Fix over Gilman...It is pretty easy to dislike Gilman based on how he acts, but you have to respect him as a competitor. It's too bad this suspension ends in February-Fix doesn't deserve to be eligible for the 2021 olympics.  

You don't know what happened. 

One of my friend's moms would whip up drinks by the gallon and put it in the fridge and her large cadre of sons and daughters would drink that stuff, usually super sweetened tea, whenever they wanted. My mother used to make tea and put it in the fridge and anytime somebody in our house (including visitors) got thirsty they'd go get a glass (it's wine for me now :D ). I could easily see some gullible dude putting stupid **** into a gallon of tea, or mineral water or something like that and not saying anything about it, thinking he's doing his family a solid and what they don't know won't hurt them. Is it possible that Fix is lying through his teeth and this is all just a fabrication? Sure, that's possible too. But the medical experts stated that the amount of Ostarine in Fix's system was consistent with his story. Guess what? They have a helluva lot more expertise on the topic than I do. 

You are entitled to your opinion.I'm inclined to give Daton the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. I'm not a fan of Gilman, btw. He's a punk, I don't care how competitive he is. He's a hell of a lot more fun to watch than Fix though, lol. 

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

You don't know what happened. 

One of my friend's moms would whip up drinks by the gallon and put it in the fridge and her large cadre of sons and daughters would drink that stuff, usually super sweetened tea, whenever they wanted. My mother used to make tea and put it in the fridge and anytime somebody in our house (including visitors) got thirsty they'd go get a glass (it's wine for me now :D ). I could easily see some gullible dude putting stupid **** into a gallon of tea, or mineral water or something like that and not saying anything about it, thinking he's doing his family a solid and what they don't know won't hurt them. Is it possible that Fix is lying through his teeth and this is all just a fabrication? Sure, that's possible too. But the medical experts stated that the amount of Ostarine in Fix's system was consistent with his story. Guess what? They have a helluva lot more expertise on the topic than I do. 

You are entitled to your opinion.I'm inclined to give Daton the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. I'm not a fan of Gilman, btw. He's a punk, I don't care how competitive he is. He's a hell of a lot more fun to watch than Fix though, lol. 

We aren't talking about making tea with sugar.  Do you really think his dad is just randomly leaving SARMs in drinks in the fridge?  Nobody would actually do that. Would you randomly leave steroid infused drinks in your fridge? And the whole thing with doping is you try to beat the test-having a low level in his system is indicative of him trying and failing to avoid detection.  

Also, why in the world would Chris Perry recommend somebody's dad start doping? Is Derek Fix training for a triathalon? The whole story defies logic and I'm not sure why WADA found it to be plausible.  

8 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Polygraphs are junk science and have been debunked. Anybody can pass them with a bit of training. Do you know what isn't junk science?  Identifying metabolites in urine.  

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

We aren't talking about making tea with sugar.  Do you really think his dad is just randomly leaving SARMs in drinks in the fridge?  Nobody would actually do that. Would you randomly leave steroid infused drinks in your fridge? And the whole thing with doping is you try to beat the test-having a low level in his system is indicative of him trying and failing to avoid detection.  

Also, why in the world would Chris Perry recommend somebody's dad start doping? Is Derek Fix training for a triathalon? The whole story defies logic and I'm not sure why WADA found it to be plausible.  

If you look into it a little you will find that the adrogen is commonly used in older people to maintain lean mass.  And it may not be too shocking that an older individual heavily involved in an elite training center would be interested in doing so.  Not saying it means the story is or isn't true, just saying it answers the "why in the world would he have it" question.  It's not really off the wall at all.

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If you look into it a little you will find that the adrogen is commonly used in older people to maintain lean mass.  And it may not be too shocking that an older individual heavily involved in an elite training center would be interested in doing so.  Not saying it means the story is or isn't true, just saying it answers the "why in the world would he have it" question.  It's not really off the wall at all.

Do people really self medicate with SARMs rather than go through a doctor for something like TRT so that dosing can be properly monitored? You might be right, but i’m not familiar with people doing this (creatine and protein powder yes though). If anything I’d think the fact that he’s involved with the training center would make it extremely unlikely to have a substance that will fail a drug test in unlabeled bottles in his fridge. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Do people really self medicate with SARMs rather than go through a doctor for something like TRT so that dosing can be properly monitored? You might be right, but i’m not familiar with people doing this (creative and protein powder yes though). If anything I’d think the fact that he’s involved with the training center would make it extremely unlikely to have a substance that will fail a drug test in unlabeled bottles in his fridge. 

Yeah, it looks like Fix also has some younger siblings? Hopefully they didn’t accidentally take steroids too..

If nothing else, Derek should probably lose his job as RTC coach

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Do people really self medicate with SARMs rather than go through a doctor for something like TRT so that dosing can be properly monitored? You would have to do a pretty large pool to get an accurate answer to that question.  But my guess would be yes, there are people who go to supplements, even if they are not approved, before going to a doctor for the sake of trying to get/maintain lean weight

You might be right, but i’m not familiar with people doing this (creatine and protein powder yes though). If anything I’d think the fact that he’s involved with the training center would make it extremely unlikely to have a substance that will fail a drug test in unlabeled bottles in his fridge. I don't know that it makes it extremely unlikely, extremely stupid yes

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don’t think you can even classify SARMs as supplements though. They can’t be sold for human consumption. They’re basically like “bath salts“ in that way. But I definitely admit to not knowing whether they are commonly used in the 50+ crowd.

Edited by Billyhoyle

12 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don’t think you can even classify SARMs as supplements though. They can’t be sold for human consumption. They’re basically like “bath salts“ in that way. But I definitely admit to not knowing whether they are commonly used in the 50+ crowd.

My immediate thought when I read that it was a man in his 50's taking ostarine was - vanity. He is used to seeing one body in the mirror and now he sees a different one. I obviously have no idea if that is the case, it was just my first thought (what are the odds I am speaking from personal experience, then?)

I find it hard to believe that a world class athlete would be eating or drinking something that contained something he/she didn't know was in it.  It seems more plausible for someone like him to take something not knowing it was a banned substance than play the card that he didn't know what he was taking and/or his dad slipped something to him.  Pretty far fetched stuff that was probably made up in an attempt to reduce the length of the ban.  I am sure Daton is a good kid who just made a bad choice and now he has to live with the consequences.  Good luck to him and I hope he learned his lesson.

31 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I hear what you are saying.  I guess it depends on each person's perception of what is a supplement.  To me, everything from anabolic steroids to a protein bar are supplements....they supplement your training.  But at the same time, kind of splitting hairs at that point.  

Again, not saying that it does or does not lend weight to their story.  Just saying a 50+ who is involved in elite training, its not crazy to think may be using the stuff. @Wrestleknownothing mentions vanity above.  I think that is very plausible.

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I hear what you are saying.  I guess it depends on each person's perception of what is a supplement.  To me, everything from anabolic steroids to a protein bar are supplements....they supplement your training.  But at the same time, kind of splitting hairs at that point.  

Again, not saying that it does or does not lend weight to their story.  Just saying a 50+ who is involved in elite training, its not crazy to think may be using the stuff. 

Yeah, like some others said, I’d believe that Derek was taking it (although another “coincidence” is that supposedly he had just started taking it a few weeks earlier).  But I’m not sure if I’d believe that he leaves it in water bottles around the house, or that Daton would just drink from random bottles without knowing what was in it.

Just now, 1032004 said:

Yeah, like some others said, I’d believe that Derek was taking it (although another “coincidence” is that supposedly he had just started taking it a few weeks earlier).  But I’m not sure if I’d believe that he leaves it in water bottles around the house, or that Daton would just drink from random bottles without knowing what was in it.

So I know I'm playing devils advocate...but.....according to the report he did not regularly store them in the house, but in a garage refrigerator.  They were not stored in random bottles.  The father mixed it with a supplement drink that mom sells.  Daton went in the kitchen fridge and saw one of his moms drinks and drank some.  Dad screwed up by leaving one of the bottles he had used for his mixed drink in the fridge.  I understand the hesitancy to believe the story, don't know what to believe myself, but in reality their story is not all that crazy. 

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So I know I'm playing devils advocate...but.....according to the report he did not regularly store them in the house, but in a garage refrigerator.  They were not stored in random bottles.  The father mixed it with a supplement drink that mom sells.  Daton went in the kitchen fridge and saw one of his moms drinks and drank some.  Dad screwed up by leaving one of the bottles he had used for his mixed drink in the fridge.  I understand the hesitancy to believe the story, don't know what to believe myself, but in reality their story is not all that crazy. 

Water bottles mixed with mix = random bottles IMO.

For one, I think most would consider a garage fridge to still be in the house.  Besides, it still said he “sometimes” stored them in the inside fridge.

Edited by 1032004

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Water bottles mixed with mix = random bottles IMO.

For one, I think most would consider a garage fridge to still be in the house.  Besides, it still said he “sometimes” stored them in the inside fridge.

Like I said on the international forum, it looks like he has younger siblings.  Hopefully they didn’t “accidentally” drink this stuff too..

I guess that's the point.  End of the day its all opinion.  What we read on here is opinion of those who really know absolutely nothing of the situation.  In the report we read opinion of regulators, lawyers, and scientists who thoroughly investigated the situation.  I just believe when forming an opinion the actual context of the information being shared is important, i.e random bottles left around the house vs specific supplement drink his mother sells placed in the fridge. But it's opinion, so to each their own interpretation.  

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I guess that's the point.  End of the day its all opinion.  What we read on here is opinion of those who really know absolutely nothing of the situation.  In the report we read opinion of regulators, lawyers, and scientists who thoroughly investigated the situation.  I just believe when forming an opinion the actual context of the information being shared is important, i.e random bottles left around the house vs specific supplement drink his mother sells placed in the fridge. But it's opinion, so to each their own interpretation.  

Yes, I would more believe that Daton wouldn’t think much of drinking random water bottles from the fridge, if it is common for ones mixed with mom’s drink to be in the house.

But if that is common, that makes it even less believable that Derek would leave ones with ostarine in there in the first place, or if he did at minimum do it without telling his children.  Emphasis on the plural form there, as that would be completely reckless on his part.

Just now, 1032004 said:

Yes, I would more believe that Daton wouldn’t think much of drinking random water bottles from the fridge, if it is common for ones mixed with mom’s drink to be in the house.

But if that is common, that makes it even less believable that Derek would leave ones with ostarine in there in the first place, or if he did at minimum do it without telling his children.  Emphasis on the plural form there, as that would be completely reckless on his part.

Again I don't know if less believable as much as less intelligent, or just the simple fact that we all make mistakes.  I know my kids have accidentally taken a swig from my vodka drink that was sitting on the kitchen counter on more than one occasion.  Shame on me for leaving it there, shame on them for not asking first......but certainly believable.

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Again I don't know if less believable as much as less intelligent, or just the simple fact that we all make mistakes.  I know my kids have accidentally taken a swig from my vodka drink that was sitting on the kitchen counter on more than one occasion.  Shame on me for leaving it there, shame on them for not asking first......but certainly believable.

Are your kids 22 years old?