Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

It APPEARS that this is Arizona State's depth chart

Recommended Posts

Based on the recently updated Arizona State roster for 2020-2021 that is.  Returning starters are listed below in BOLD print and the rankings are from WrestleStat:

 

125 lbs


# 13 - Brandon Courtney – RS Junior (25-5) - 2020 PAC 12 champion at 125 lbs - 2020 NCAA Qualifier at 125 lbs -

# ___ - Tristan Mascarenas - True Freshman - From Rio Rancho, NM.  3 time New Mexico 5-A State Champ at 113 lbs - 1 time (2017) NM State 5-A State runner-up at 106 lbs

 

133 lbs

# 7 - Michael McGee - RS Junior (8-0 at 133 lbs) - Two time M.A.C. champion at 125 lbs - Two time NCAA qualifier (2019 & 2018)

# 40 (at 125 lbs) - Nicholas Raimo – RS Freshman (13-2 at 125 lbs) - ASU roster still has him listed at 125 lbs but he said months ago he will be at 133 lbs.

# 157 - Cleveland Belton – RS Freshman (0-0) - Did not compete at all while redshirting last season.

# 157 - Lou Fincher - True Freshman - From Lawrence, KS.  Kansas 2020 6-A (big schools) State runner-up at 132 lbs - Placed 3rd at 2019 Kansas 6-A State tournament at 126 lbs - 2018 and 2017 Kansas 6-A State tournament qualifier.

# 252 - Dom DiGena - RS Freshman (2-5)

 

141 lbs

# 47 - Julian Chlebove – RS Freshman (3-1) - No matches last season vs PAC 12 opponents.

# 48 - Josiah Kline – RS Junior (0-0) - He was redshirted last seaon.  He was ASU's starter at 133 lbs for 2018-2019 season.

# 96 - Navonte Demison – RS Junior (3-12)

# ___ - Cody Foote - True Freshman - From Mesa, AZ.

 

149 lbs

# 54 - Peter Lipari - RS Senior (12-7 last season at 141 lbs) - 2019  NCAA Qualifier at 141 lbs - No matches last season vs PAC 12 opponents (at 149 lbs)

# 95 (at 141 lbs) - Cory Crooks – RS Senior (5-8 at 141).  According to Zeke Jones Crooks will be moved up to 149 lbs for 2020-2021.

# 171 - Ethan Pickren - RS Freshman (5-4)

# 193 - Jesse Vasquez - True Freshman - 4 Time CA H.S. State champion (2020 at 145 lbs, 2019 at 138 lbs, 2018 at 132 lbs and 2017 at 113 lbs)

# 193 - Ricky Roberto - True Freshman - From Marietta, GA.  5th place at 2020 Georgia H.S. State tournament at 145 lbs.  2nd place at 132 lbs at 2019 Georgia H.S. State tournament

#___ - Jason Hill - True Freshman - From Tucson, AZ.

 

157 lbs

# 9 - Jacori Teemer – RS Sophomore (17-5) - 2020 PAC 12 champion at 157 lbs - 2020 NCAA Qualifier at 157 lbs - Won by TF (19-4 in 7:00) vs Tyler Eischens in the dual vs Stanford on 1-31-2020 and again 6-3 at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament - Won 12-4 vs Brawley Lamer in the dual vs Cal Poly on 2-15-2020 and again 14-6 at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament

# 150 - Hunter Balk – RS Freshman (7-3)

# 270 - Alex Torres - RS Junior (2-2)

 

165 lbs

# 7 - Anthony Valencia – RS Senior (22-6) - 2020 PAC 12 champion at 174 lbs - Three time NCAA qualifier - No PAC 12 matches last season at 165 lbs.

# 260 - Ryan Moltz- Junior - (0-2)

# ___ - Ryan Rochford - RS Junior - Transfer from Adams State College (Div. II)

 

174 lbs

# 61 - Trey Munoz – RS Freshman (13-2) - Won 7-3 vs Albert Urias of CSUB on 11-24-2029 and again 8-3 on 12-15-2019

# 141 - Josh Nummer – RS Freshman (5-6)

 

184 lbs

# 37 - Cade Belshay – RS Junior (12-7) - Placed 3rd at 2020 PAC 12 tournament at 184 lbs - Won 8-3 vs Foster Karmon at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament - Lost 6-3 vs Colt Doyle of Oregon State at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament

# 69 - Austin Clayton – RS Junior (18-10)

# 144  - Zane Coleman – RS Freshman (0-0)

 

197 lbs
 

# 12 - Kordell Norfleet – RS Junior (14-3) - 2020 PAC 12 champion at 197 lbs - Two time NCAA qualifier - Won 9-6 vs J.J. Dixon in the dual vs Oregon State on 1-17-2020 and again 11-3 at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament - Won 6-4 vs Nathan Traxler in the dual vs Stanford on 1-31-2020 and again by FALL (1:38) at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament

# 116 - Chad Porter - RS Junior (0-0)

# ___ - David Remer - True Freshman - From Carson City, NV.

 

285 lbs

# 46 - Cohlton Schultz – RS Freshman (8-1)

# 136 - David Palosika - True Freshman - From Phoenix, AZ.  2nd at 220 lbs at 2020 Arizona H.S. State tournament - 3rd at 220 lbs at 2020 Arizona H.S. State tournament.  2018 Arizona H.S. State Qualifier at 195 lbs

 

 

Edited by Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019-2020 ASU underclassmen wrestlers who are NOT listed on the 2020-2021 roster are:

125 lbs - Aaron Valenzuela - 2019-2020 Redshirt Freshman - Somerton, AZ. Kofa HS

149 lbs - Ethan Pickren - 2019-2020 True Freshman - Panama City Beach, FL South Walton HS

157 lbs - Dillon Ulrey - 2019-2020 Redshirt Junior - Central Point, Ore.

197 lbs - Jacob Good - 2019-2020 True Freshman - Clovis, CA. Clovis HS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Arizona State fans had better pray that Jacori Teemer and Anthony Valencia (either one of them and especially BOTH of them) don't end up suffering a season ending injury.   As there is  nobody who can effectively take their place in the lineup.

It's not like they have depth behind Schultz and Norfleet either. 

Also, is there any chance that they drop Crooks or Lipari to 141?  Or is Zeke just going to give Julian the starting spot there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely doubt any starting spot will just be given to someone.  BTW when you do a WrestleStat comparison between Chlebove and Kline this is the result you get:

Josiah Kline over Julian Chlebove 9 - 8

When you do a Wrestle comparison between Chlebove and Crooks this is the result you get:

Julian Chlebove over Cory Crooks 8 - 3

And when you do a WrestleStat comparison between Kline and Crooks you get this:

Josiah Kline over Cory Crooks 10 - 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chlebove was off the mat for a minute. He is a legitimate AA threat. 
  
ASU doesn’t give their spots away. If those guys are going 149, it probably means they can’t beat Chlebove. 
  
for the record, I think Lipari is excellent. I think Rutgers made a mistake by allowing their star true freshman come out of redshirt too early. Lipari for whatever reason couldn’t beat him, but has way way better wins. He is unlikely to AA, but he can with the right draw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Chlebove was off the mat for a minute. He is a legitimate AA threat. 
  
ASU doesn’t give their spots away. If those guys are going 149, it probably means they can’t beat Chlebove. 
  
for the record, I think Lipari is excellent. I think Rutgers made a mistake by allowing their star true freshman come out of redshirt too early. Lipari for whatever reason couldn’t beat him, but has way way better wins. He is unlikely to AA, but he can with the right draw. 

You make good points.  I am a little confused about why Lipari would be willing to move to 149 for Chlebove, but not for Aragona when he was at Rutgers last season.  Is Chlebove that much better than Aragona?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt Raimo is just going to concede a spot in the starting lineup. He has said that he is going 133, so it will be interesting to see how the lower weights shakeout. Coleman not wrestling at all last year was a surprise. Looking forward to getting eyes on him. Norfleet got another year, so he has 2 years left. Probably why you dont see Good on the roster? Its nice to have a legit 141 and 149 this year. On paper, 184 is really the only hole in the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Doubt Raimo is just going to concede a spot in the starting lineup. He has said that he is going 133, so it will be interesting to see how the lower weights shakeout. Coleman not wrestling at all last year was a surprise. Looking forward to getting eyes on him. Norfleet got another year, so he has 2 years left. Probably why you dont see Good on the roster? Its nice to have a legit 141 and 149 this year. On paper, 184 is really the only hole in the lineup.

If Zahid had taken an Olympic redshirt last season, there would be no holes in the lineup and this would be a top-5, possibly top-3 team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You make good points.  I am a little confused about why Lipari would be willing to move to 149 for Chlebove, but not for Aragona when he was at Rutgers last season.  Is Chlebove that much better than Aragona?

Lipari probably wouldn’t have started at 149 for Rutgers last year either.  Angelo likely would have qualified for NCAA’s if he didn’t get injured at B10’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Lipari probably wouldn’t have started at 149 for Rutgers last year either.  Angelo likely would have qualified for NCAA’s if he didn’t get injured at B10’s.

Well Lipari was a 141 pounder last year so why would it even it matter? Also if you want go in depth and compare results Limmex beat Angelo while Lipari beat him 2x. Storr from Umich teched Angelo while Lipari lost to him in double OT in a very close match. As you were saying though ..

Edited by 223434wrestle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

If Zahid had taken an Olympic redshirt last season, there would be no holes in the lineup and this would be a top-5, possibly top-3 team.  

I think there is another “if” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 223434wrestle said:

Well Lipari was a 141 pounder last year so why would it even it matter? Also if you want go in depth and compare results Limmex beat Angelo while Lipari beat him 2x. Storr from Umich teched Angelo while Lipari lost to him in double OT in a very close match. As you were saying though ..

Well if you’re using the margin of victory argument, I see you conveniently left out how Angelo beat Hrisopoulos from MSU 16-5 and Lipari beat him 4-2.

Regardless, the question was if Lipari is going up to 149 to try to start this year, why didn’t he do that last year at Rutgers?  I think (since I specifically used the word “probably”) at least part of the reason is because he “probably” wouldn’t have started there either.

Interestingly enough, wrestlestat does predict Angelo over Lipari.  They default 149 for Rutgers to Vulakh who they have Lipari beating, but if you plug in Angelo they have Rutgers losing by 1 to ASU 17-16 (that’s with Suriano and Rivera at 133 and 141, no Alvarez).

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well if you’re using the margin of victory argument, I see you conveniently left out how Angelo beat Hrisopoulos from MSU 16-5 and Lipari beat him 4-2.

Regardless, the question was if Lipari is going up to 149 to try to start this year, why didn’t he do that last year at Rutgers?  I think (since I specifically used the word “probably”) at least part of the reason is because he “probably” wouldn’t have started there either.

Interestingly enough, wrestlestat does predict Angelo over Lipari.  They default 149 for Rutgers to Vulakh who they have Lipari beating, but if you plug in Angelo they have Rutgers losing by 1 to ASU 17-16 (that’s with Suriano and Rivera at 133 and 141, no Alvarez).

Thanks for that so Lipari comparison to Angelo is 3-1 common opponents.
Lipari left Rutgers because he was a 141 pounder last year not a 149. And about this year you know Division 1 athletes can lift and train in the summer time and could grow into another weight class right ? Guess you didn’t take that into account either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well if you’re using the margin of victory argument, I see you conveniently left out how Angelo beat Hrisopoulos from MSU 16-5 and Lipari beat him 4-2.

 

So Lipari won that match to right ? Look at the other margins of victory argument now. 2 wins over Limmex. Then you have a double OT lost to a tech fall in the second period from Storr. On the positive note, can’t wait for this years team! ASU has a mix of young and old talent on this team !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 223434wrestle said:

So Lipari won that match to right ? Look at the other margins of victory argument now. 2 wins over Limmex. Then you have a double OT lost to a tech fall in the second period from Storr. On the positive note, can’t wait for this years team! ASU has a mix of young and old talent on this team !

Yes Mr Lipari, ASU does look like they have a good team next year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 7:11 PM, gobraves101905 said:

Doubt Raimo is just going to concede a spot in the starting lineup. He has said that he is going 133, so it will be interesting to see how the lower weights shakeout. Coleman not wrestling at all last year was a surprise. Looking forward to getting eyes on him. Norfleet got another year, so he has 2 years left. Probably why you dont see Good on the roster? Its nice to have a legit 141 and 149 this year. On paper, 184 is really the only hole in the lineup.

You will not be disappointed when Coleman gets the nod. I too was surprised that he and a few others had no red shirt activity. Coleman and Chlebove should add a huge spark to the desert. Was this the calm before the storm? We shall see. 

Edited by TexRef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...