IronChef

Wrestling Expenses

I downloaded the 2019 EADA data that has expenses by sport. Here is how it breaks down. Keep in mind, this is just how the data was sent to the government and different schools may report things slightly differently. I think I pulled all the non-D1 schools that compete in D1. The list has 72 schools and I assume is for the 2018-2019 school year: https://pastebin.com/3JD02QNY

Total Expenses    
Over 2 million    5
1.5-2 million    11
1-1.5 million    19
500K-1 million    27
Under 500K    10

Mean is $1.06 million. Median is $981K.

Top 5
1. Penn State
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma State
4. Iowa
5. Oklahoma

Top 5 (non-Power 5)
1. Lehigh (#12)
2. Campbell (#25)
3. Fresno State (#28)
4. Hofstra (#30)
5. Wyoming (#31)

Bottom 5
5. Edinboro
4. Davidson
3. Franklin & Marshall
2. VMI
1. Sacred Heart

Edited by IronChef

As mentioned, the reporting methods aren't standardized for the EADA.  The best data is from the NCAA financial disclosures for each school but not every school makes them public.  The NCAA's data has better established reporting standards than the department of education.

It should be noted that this doesn't include the club (RTC) spending which is really a significant portion of resources made available to a program. 

1 hour ago, Asa Packer said:

Random other EIWAs, for those too lazy to click on link...

#32 Cornell

#33 Drexel

#34 American

#38 Bucknell

#45 Penn

#46 Princeton

Army & Navy not listed

Army and Navy have huge wrestling budgets.  I wonder why they don't have to report their numbers?

On 9/11/2020 at 11:17 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Army and Navy have huge wrestling budgets.  I wonder why they don't have to report their numbers?

They are operated by the Federal government (DOD) so they don’t have to report to the Federal government (DOEd).  

They are operated by the Federal government (DOD) so they don’t have to report to the Federal government (DOEd).  

Also, everyone is on scholarship there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/11/2020 at 5:57 PM, TobusRex said:

Jeeez, OU has the 5th best funded wrestling program in the country? Sure can't tell by the results on the mat.

Remember several years ago when OU went to Hawaii during Christmas Break? They went out there to compete against American, Minnesota, and ?????. Then in January they went out to American and wrestled them again. Spates got a lot heat for that! 

9 hours ago, IronChef said:

It was 2015 and it was Cody, not Spates

Cody is when the wheels really fell off. I figured he was going to be awesome with the rationale of: look what he did at American? With the resources he'll have at OU we'll be a contender every year. How wrong I was. Top finish under Cody: 10th, and that was after being overrated in the top 5 most of the year. Total collapse at NCAAs except for a couple guys. 

14 hours ago, TexRef said:

Remember several years ago when OU went to Hawaii during Christmas Break? They went out there to compete against American, Minnesota, and ?????. Then in January they went out to American and wrestled them again. Spates got a lot heat for that! 

I remember OU wrestling American, but don't remember that specific story. 

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Cody is when the wheels really fell off. I figured he was going to be awesome with the rationale of: look what he did at American? With the resources he'll have at OU we'll be a contender every year. How wrong I was. Top finish under Cody: 10th, and that was after being overrated in the top 5 most of the year. Total collapse at NCAAs except for a couple guys. 

It almost seems like the hiring of Cody was primarily based on his fundraising success while at American.    

Hofstra needs more commitment from its current administration; until then the team is fighting with one hand tied behind its back.  A few years ago the Pride was barely able to field a team because of roster limits.  Papadatos has pushed to get the limit up from 18 to the mid-20s, which is a start.  They had a good dual meet team last year, but they're not wrestling in the CAA anymore.

Hofstra coach has just buried their program...Just look at their schedule in past 10 years...They use to wrestle a top schedule and now they schedule the bottom of D1 and pray for Wins...They are a EIWA team but don't schedule Cornell, Lehigh or Princeton....Hire someone who can take this Program out of this Debacle!

Hofstra could hire Cael .... if they don't give him a budget or help with admits, it's not going to make a difference.  15 years ago Ryan worked in a completely different environment.

No sense scheduling a top-flight schedule if you'll get pounded every time out.  Every team Hofstra wrestled was Div I which is more than you can say for many teams.