Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

WIN Pre/Season Rankings out

20 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Dom Demas might take some offense at being ranked below Chad Red after pinning him last year. And modest offense to being ranked behind Ian Parker after beating him twice last year (but then losing at conference).

Later season results matter more. Red turned it up and beat other toons when it mattered. Parker holds last win so no argument to be had there 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Later season results matter more. Red turned it up and beat other toons when it mattered. Parker holds last win so no argument to be had there 

Your Ian Parker logic is impeccable. 

Your Chad Red, not so much. Red turned it up to 8th place in 2019, four places below Demas. Then Demas pinned him in 2020. If you argue last win takes it, you just can't put Red over Demas.

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Your Ian Parker logic is impeccable. 

Your Chad Red, not so much. Red turned it up to 8th place in 2019, four places below Demas. Then Demas pinned him in 2020. If you argue last win takes it, you just can't put Red over Demas.

No the pinfall loss to the West Virginia kid justifies it.

Man with the guys coming back from ORS there could be a lot of weights that are basically 4+ deep in the top tier IMO (notwithstanding covid redshirts)

(In no particular order)

125: Lee/Suriano/Vito/Glory

133: Fix/Micic/RBY/Desanto/Phillippi

141: Yianni/Lee/Eierman/Rivera/Woods

149: O’connor/Sasso/Lee/Lewallen/Mauller

165: Lewis/Marinelli/Griffith/Wittlake

184 and 197 pretty wide open IMO

On 9/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, 1032004 said:

Man with the guys coming back from ORS there could be a lot of weights that are basically 4+ deep in the top tier IMO (notwithstanding covid redshirts)

(In no particular order)

165: Lewis/Marinelli/Griffith/Wittlake WICK?

I understand why they didn't rank the freshman but why is Singletary not ranked at 197?  I realize his results are at heavyweight but I feel like he has done enough there at the college level to warrant at top 20 ranking.  Karchla, Echemendia and others will have an opportunity to prove themselves.  FWIW I think it will be 165-Smith, 174-Karchla, 184-Romero for the Bucks.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

So Demas getting fluke pinned by Colby Rea means that he deserves to be ranked under Chad Red, a guy he's never lost to?

Absolutely not.  Not in my book.  I was just explaining what their justification might be.  I would weigh more of Red's regular season losses negatively and drop him a bit.

4 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

I understand why they didn't rank the freshman but why is Singletary not ranked at 197?  I realize his results are at heavyweight but I feel like he has done enough there at the college level to warrant at top 20 ranking.  Karchla, Echemendia and others will have an opportunity to prove themselves.  FWIW I think it will be 165-Smith, 174-Karchla, 184-Romero for the Bucks.

Jordan will start at 184.  He improved just as much, if not more, than Romero.  Keep in mind he beat him then went up so he didn't have to cut too much weight.

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Jordan will start at 184.  He improved just as much, if not more, than Romero.  Keep in mind he beat him then went up so he didn't have to cut too much weight.

This is not accurate.  The wrestle off was a joke.  Rocky stalled like crazy and didn't get called, everyone in the gym including the Graham people I was sitting next to knew it.  Romero won a tournament 2 weeks later that Rocky failed to place at.  Despite that tOSU staff gave Rocky several dual meets starts at 174 that did not go well before Romero became the full time starter.  Rocky was the backup at 174 and only moved up to 184 when Hoffman wasn't getting the job done at 184.  I like Rocky and Romero equally and figured Rocky was a better option going into last season.  Last years results changed my opinion as it was pretty clear to most that Romero had better results and has the steeper learning curve and will likely continue to widen the gap.  Again not trying to disparage Rocky as he would be a good option at 184, just not as good as Romero IMO.

Edited by balanceseeker

2 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

This is not accurate.  The wrestle off was a joke.  Rocky stalled like crazy and didn't get called, everyone in the gym including the Graham people I was sitting next to knew it.  Romero won a tournament 2 weeks later that Rocky failed to place at.  Despite that tOSU staff gave Rocky several dual meets starts at 174 that did not go well before Romero became the full time starter.  Rocky was the backup at 174 and only moved up to 184 when Hoffman wasn't getting the job done at 184.  I like Rocky and Romero equally and figured Rocky was a better option going into last season.  Last years results changed my opinion as it was pretty clear to most that Romero had better results and has the steeper learning curve and will likely continue to widen the gap.  Again not trying to disparage Rocky as he would be a good option at 184, just not as good as Romero IMO.

Has Karchla or the coaching staff said anything about him wrestling at 174 (as opposed to 165)?  How does he do against Romero in the room?  How likely is it that Romero wrestles off and beats Karchla at 174?

5 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

You understand that after Rocky moved up to 184 he went 18-6 whereas Romero went 12-7?

Rocky also did win the wrestleoff.  Paint whatever picture you want, result H2H is what it was.  Romero also is coming up from being dwarfed by Logan Massa at 165 two seasons ago.  At 184 Rocky still wins.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:31 AM, 1032004 said:

(In no particular order)

165: Lewis/Marinelli/Griffith/Wittlake

I dont think we'll see Glory this yr

Edited by Columbia_Lou

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You understand that after Rocky moved up to 184 he went 18-6 whereas Romero went 12-7?

Rocky also did win the wrestleoff.  Paint whatever picture you want, result H2H is what it was.  Romero also is coming up from being dwarfed by Logan Massa at 165 two seasons ago.  At 184 Rocky still wins.

I don't need to paint any picture.  Romero outperformed Rocky at 174 by a lot which is why he was the starter.  As I said Rocky was given every opportunity to win the spot at 174 and he did not.  Hoffman and Steiner were not getting the job done at 184 which is why they decided to move Rocky up and give him a shot at 184 rather than be a backup at 174.  This is not speculation or opinion, this is what actually occurred.   Romero is a big strong athletic dude who was cutting too much weight to make 165.  He was big at 174 and would be plenty big at 184.  I really don't have a personal bias for one guy or the other and would be just as happy with Rocky winning the spot, I just don't think that is how it will play out.

11 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

I don't need to paint any picture.  Romero outperformed Rocky at 174 by a lot which is why he was the starter.  As I said Rocky was given every opportunity to win the spot at 174 and he did not.  Hoffman and Steiner were not getting the job done at 184 which is why they decided to move Rocky up and give him a shot at 184 rather than be a backup at 174.  This is not speculation or opinion, this is what actually occurred.   Romero is a big strong athletic dude who was cutting too much weight to make 165.  He was big at 174 and would be plenty big at 184.  I really don't have a personal bias for one guy or the other and would be just as happy with Rocky winning the spot, I just don't think that is how it will play out.

You need to check out the actual results.  Rocky went 11-3 at 174.

Romero didn't win the spot. Rocky vacated.