Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

WIN Pre/Season Rankings out

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You need to check out the actual results.  Rocky went 11-3 at 174.

Romero didn't win the spot. Rocky vacated.

LOL he went 11-3 mostly in open tournaments with the majority of his wins coming against backups and D2 guys, and 2 of his 3 losses came in a tournament Romero won.

Jordan only wrestled 1 dual at 174, a loss on 11/17 to Hughes from VT who finished 13-12.    His first start at 184 wasn't until 1/10, with Romero winning 2 dual matches in between that against guys that had finished R12 and R16 in prior years (Grello/Valencia), in addition to beating a prior AA and another R16 guy prior to that (Womack/Gunther).

I'm not a tOSU fan, but certainly looks to me like Romero won the spot.

Edited by 1032004

On 9/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Has Karchla or the coaching staff said anything about him wrestling at 174 (as opposed to 165)?  How does he do against Romero in the room?  How likely is it that Romero wrestles off and beats Karchla at 174?

Karchla moved up and wrestled 174 the second half of his redshirt year last year.  There is talk out of Columbus that he will be at 174 but the coaching staff is saying 165 presently.  He doesn't look that big to me at 165 but he is kind of blocky and did wrestle 170 his last 2 years of high school.  I know Karchla didn't like to cut weight in high school but I don't know if it's the weight cut or presumption that 165 is a much more difficult weight that is driving the decision.  I don't know how it goes with him and Romero in the room but my guess is that Karchla is slightly ahead.  Romero is probably top four at 174 but Karchla is good enough to win a title there (I think he's probably 3rd at 165).  I know that's big talk but he is truly an elite talent.

Edited by balanceseeker

Aside from Kemerer, Carter Starocci is going to take the entire B1G to pound-town the next four years. 

I don't see him NOT being a finalist this year. Romero or Karchla, doesn't matter. Going to be rough for either of them against Starocci. 

10 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Aside from Kemerer, Carter Starocci is going to take the entire B1G to pound-town the next four years. 

I don't see him NOT being a finalist this year. Romero or Karchla, doesn't matter. Going to be rough for either of them against Starocci. 

Starocci looked really good in his redshirt year.  I think he can beat Romero, but it will be close.  Starocci vs. Karchla is a toss up, imo.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:49 PM, nhs67 said:

You understand that after Rocky moved up to 184 he went 18-6 whereas Romero went 12-7?

Rocky also did win the wrestleoff.  Paint whatever picture you want, result H2H is what it was.  Romero also is coming up from being dwarfed by Logan Massa at 165 two seasons ago.  At 184 Rocky still wins.

Records might not tell the whole story though. Always best to rely on head to head results.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

In which Rocky won.

If wrestleoffs meant that much, why didn’t Zach Steiner get more starts at 184?

That one actually makes less sense, as he beat Hoffman in the wrestleoff, picked up a win against Stanford, and then never started again after losing a decision to a national title contender.  Was he injured or something?

Jordan on the other hand as noted above IMO pretty clearly lost the spot at 174.

45 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If wrestleoffs meant that much, why didn’t Zach Steiner get more starts at 184?

That one actually makes less sense, as he beat Hoffman in the wrestleoff, picked up a win against Stanford, and then never started again after losing a decision to a national title contender.  Was he injured or something?

Jordan on the other hand as noted above IMO pretty clearly lost the spot at 174.

Obviously clear post was obviously not clear.

Rocky won the spot. Moved up once cut proved too much. Outperformed statistically up a weight.

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Rocky won the spot. Moved up once cut proved too much. Outperformed statistically up a weight.

What Jordan did at 184 is irrelevant to this discussion...

So you really think Romero winning a tournament where Jordan took 4th and Jordan losing his only dual match at 174 to a guy who finished 13-12 had nothing to do with it?  Keep living in la la land over there.  

Sure, if the cut was too much that likely effected his results (which also begs the question, was there a weight allowance for the wrestleoff?  If yes that likely had an impact), but the fact of the matter is Romero’s results at 174 were better, BEFORE Jordan moved up to 184.

So what happened with Steiner then?  Why did Hoffman get so many more starts than him?

Edited by 1032004

Although getting back to the original topic of next season, you may have an argument nhs if they are both at 184.  

But without being an insider, I think either of them might beat Singletary at 197.

Edited by 1032004

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

What Jordan did at 184 is irrelevant to this discussion...

So you really think Romero winning a tournament where Jordan took 4th and Jordan losing his only dual match at 174 to a guy who finished 13-12 had nothing to do with it?  Keep living in la la land over there.  

Sure, if the cut was too much that likely effected his results (which also begs the question, was there a weight allowance for the wrestleoff?  If yes that likely had an impact), but the fact of the matter is Romero’s results at 174 were better, BEFORE Jordan moved up to 184.

So what happened with Steiner then?  Why did Hoffman get so many more starts than him?

This discussion has less to do sith 174 than 184.  We're talking about them wrestling AT 184 next season...

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

This discussion has less to do sith 174 than 184.  We're talking about them wrestling AT 184 next season...

How it started, yes (as I mentioned in my most recent post).  But it turned into a discussion about last year, where I would guess the main reason Jordan (barely) won the wrestleoff is if there was a weight allowance.

However next year I’m not even sure Jordan wins at 184.  Weren’t people saying that Romero was looking huge?  If so, Jordan’s size advantage would be gone.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:58 PM, nhs67 said:

No he did not.  You continue to endorse this false narrative where Rocky won the spot at 174 last year and moved up when he couldn't hold the weight.  This is not what happened.  Nobody who follows Ohio State wrestling on any serious level would say this unless your just trying to troll.  As outlined above Kaleb won the spot by outperforming Rocky at a number of events early in the season.  After Romero was established as the started Rocky competed in opens with other backups until he moved up to 184.  As I said I like both Rocky Jordan and Kaleb Romero and have watched both wrestlers since they were in middle school.  Going into last season I would have favored Rocky to win the spot but that not how it played out.  If you want to make the argument that Rocky is better this year and will win the spot that's reasonable but arguing it based on revisionist history is not the way to make your point.