Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Big 10 Football is back on

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

good news for wrestling?

I think so. Tough to re-start wrestling when a sport with very limited pad-on-pad is not allowed. If football is a go and it results in only limited outbreaks which are immediately controlled, it helps the argument that basketball and wrestling can also re-start with limited risk.

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Against who?

The Big 10 conference! Soon as some of these athletes end up in hospitals with permanent damage to their lungs/hearts because the Big 10 put them at risk (for money!) the lawsuits will start rolling in. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit after everything shakes down and this debacle fully plays out.

Edited by TobusRex

39 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

The Big 10 conference! Soon as some of these athletes end up in hospitals with permanent damage to their lungs/hearts because the Big 10 put them at risk (for money!) the lawsuits will start rolling in. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit after everything shakes down and this debacle fully plays out.

I don't see that happening.  The whole country saw how the big 10 said no.  Then the whole country saw how all the players got together united to show they want to play.  Players will have the option of opting out without losing a scholarship.  This is not to say i agree/disagree with the decision, but just to say I'd be surprised if any successful lawsuits come from it.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I don't see that happening.  The whole country saw how the big 10 said no.  Then the whole country saw how all the players got together united to show they want to play.  Players will have the option of opting out without losing a scholarship.  This is not to say i agree/disagree with the decision, but just to say I'd be surprised if any successful lawsuits come from it.

Maybe you are right. Maybe the schools are making the athletes sign statements they won't sue if they get COVID19. In my experience lawyers will come out of the woodwork from near and far to get money off something like this.

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Maybe you are right. Maybe the schools are making the athletes sign statements they won't sue if they get COVID19. In my experience lawyers will come out of the woodwork from near and far to get money off something like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were fillings, I would be surprised if they went to trial and won. (confidential settlements are always on the table)

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were fillings, I would be surprised if they went to trial and won. (confidential settlements are always on the table)

Good point. Most class action lawsuits are settled out of court for "undisclosed" amounts. Could still end up being a pretty penny.

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

So will there be lawsuits against all the other conferences that decided to play too (before the Big Ten did)?

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Good point. Most class action lawsuits are settled out of court for "undisclosed" amounts. Could still end up being a pretty penny.

A covid breakout may be likely - the only legal liability the Big Ten would incur is if they are not responsible in handling it. As long as they have prudent protocols in place to mitigate the effects of an outbreak, I don't see much legal risk. The odds of a healthy college athlete (without significant co-morbidity) dying from covid are astronomical.

It sounds like all the Big 10 schools got together and basically came up with a comprehensive plan for daily testing of all the student athletes, how to handle those who contract the virus, and how to minimize the spread during practices and competition. 

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2020/9/16/21439533/what-caused-the-big-ten-to-change-its-mind-on-playing-football-this-fall

there are events going on all over this country and planet...

the big10 had to cave because of all the sports already being done with no issues at all... they were getting crushed and ridiculed by their fan base...

there is absolutely no reason not to have a college wrestling season in some form...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

there are events going on all over this country and planet...

the big10 had to cave because of all the sports already being done with no issues at all... they were getting crushed and ridiculed by their fan base...

there is absolutely no reason not to have a college wrestling season in some form...

Agreed.  I think the main concern is if there’s a second wave of deaths similar to what we saw early on.  But no one really knows what will happen.  

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agreed.  I think the main concern is if there’s a second wave of deaths similar to what we saw early on.  But no one really knows what will happen.  

there will not be...

take that to the bank...

that's coming from an expert...

Just now, LJB said:

there will not be...

take that to the bank...

that's coming from an expert...

I hope you’re right and I am somewhat hopeful about that.  Note I said second wave of deaths, so while there’s a chance there’s another wave of cases, it would also need to result in more deaths and it’s possible the virus has mutated and not as deadly as it was early on (unfortunately, the recent slowdown in deaths had made some claim it was never bad which I’m pretty confident is not true).

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I hope you’re right and I am somewhat hopeful about that.  Note I said second wave of deaths, so while there’s a chance there’s another wave of cases, it would also need to result in more deaths and it’s possible the virus has mutated and not as deadly as it was early on (unfortunately, the recent slowdown in deaths had made some claim it was never bad which I’m pretty confident is not true).

i will refrain from any comments out of respect..

USA today had a gal chine in that lost her marbles over this announcement. Calls it careless. As an athlete you still have the right to not compete during Covid. If a spoiled brat wines about no season and then gets season...they should have no recourse for lawsuit.

3 hours ago, Swayz said:

USA today had a gal chine in that lost her marbles over this announcement. Calls it careless. As an athlete you still have the right to not compete during Covid. If a spoiled brat wines about no season and then gets season...they should have no recourse for lawsuit.

Why people would people be losing their marbles now about the B10 starting over a month from now, when there have literally already been FBS games played?