Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Big 10 Football is back on

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So will there be lawsuits against all the other conferences that decided to play too (before the Big Ten did)?

Maybe. Maybe against the NCAA and all the conferences. Wait and see, it'll definitely happen. 

11 hours ago, LJB said:

there are events going on all over this country and planet...

the big10 had to cave because of all the sports already being done with no issues at all... they were getting crushed and ridiculed by their fan base...

there is absolutely no reason not to have a college wrestling season in some form...

I think the Big 10 caved because players had started announcing they'd go pro early since the season was canceled. Big 10 is afraid of losing their "star power" on the field in addition to money. 

1 hour ago, matts1w said:

Are they going to fill stadiums?  Surely not???

The B1G decided on fans other then family and staff.

Supposedly this was done because the ability to have fans in the stands 

varied so much by state.

NJ for example only allows 500 people,some B1G schools were talking about

20% of their stadium capacity.

All these decisions always seem like it all comes down to money.  The Big 10 jumped first and tried to push the season into the spring hoping the other power conferences would follow. The SEC told them to F-off and stay there course of action to have a season this fall. Once it became evident there would be a season and all that TV and CF playoff money would be tied up in the fall games, the Big 10 changed their tune lol. Saban's comment about a spring season being a glorified JV league was pretty funny. The players petitioning to have a season probably only made the decision easier.

When do we officially start calling the Big 10 the SEC North?

The protocols that have been put in place are second to none.  

I really don't get all the backlash toward the conference here, and this idea of impending lawsuits.  The conference said no.  The players and their families immediately united and took action against the conference.  A group of players from one school filed a lawsuit to play.  A group from another school were right on the verge of doing the same.  Players from all schools were coming together and speaking out against the decision.  The conference went back to the table and came up with the most comprehensive and safest program that has been developed, short of the bubble, which they just simply cannot do.  Every player has the choice to opt-out without any risk to scholarship if they are on one. In terms of lawsuits, they are all legal adults. 

All this lash out against the conference is just wanting to have something to gripe about.  (I mean, it is USA 2020, so why not?)  But the fact of the matter is that the Big 10 has done more to protect their players than any other league in sports that is playing, again save the bubble.  But people who don't want them playing don't want to look at that.  And according to one columnist, its the darkest day in B10 history.  That is such a horribly wrong statement, in so many ways.  But hey.......USA2020

Edited by Lurker

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The protocols that have been put in place are second to none.  

I really don't get all the backlash toward the conference here, and this idea of impending lawsuits.  The conference said no.  The players and their families immediately united and took action against the conference.  A group of players from one school filed a lawsuit to play.  A group from another school were right on the verge of doing the same.  Players from all schools were coming together and speaking out against the decision.  The conference went back to the table and came up with the most comprehensive and safest program that has been developed, short of the bubble, which they just simply cannot do.  Every player has the choice to opt-out without any risk to scholarship if they are on one. In terms of lawsuits, they are all legal adults. 

All this lash out against the conference is just wanting to have something to gripe about.  (I mean, it is USA 2020, so why not?)  But the fact of the matter is that the Big 10 has done more to protect their players than any other league in sports that is playing, again save the bubble.  But people who don't want them playing don't want to look at that.  And according to one columnist, its the darkest day in B10 history.  That is such a horribly wrong statement, in so many ways.  But hey.......USA2020

Yeah man I hear you.  It was just funny how it all went down. Kind of reminded me of when the Big 12 was going to disband until Texas decided differently.

I think the TV contract for Big Ten schools is worth a little over $50mil per year. Don't need fans in the stands to make that payday, but it surely helps. Only 8 games has already eaten away at that contract value. 

I'll use WVU in the Big 12 as an example. Our TV deal is worth approx $45 mil. Only 10 games instead of 12. AD says we will lose $4mil in tv revenue for each of those 10 games that aren't played. In conjunction, since these tv deals are with the conference, for every game not played by a conference member, we lose $400,000 from that pot. Big Ten needs games to keep that pot as full as possible. Especially when you see schools like Minnesota say they are going to be in the red $70 million this year and they end up dropping 3 sports programs.

On the issue of players signing waivers that they won't sue if they get Covid, the NCAA has already come don saying that such waivers would be legally invalid. 

Finally, as Lurker mentioned above, the protocols put in place at other schools have done immense jobs protecting student athletes. Better than them being in the general population. Heck, the regular, extensive testing helped uncover an unrelated heart defect for the TCU quarterback (Duggan) that has helped him get treatment. 

Big Ten playing football is HUGE for wrestling because of the way it funds our sport.

22 minutes ago, Juanma25 said:

Yeah man I hear you.  It was just funny how it all went down. Kind of reminded me of when the Big 12 was going to disband until Texas decided differently.

The Big 12 never talked about disbanding. Some SPORTSWRITERS speculated on it, but the Big 12 never discussed it as far as I'm aware. A few schools thought allowing Texas to have the Longhorn Network was an unfair recruiting advantage (it is, btw) and left the conference in protest. Mizzou jumped to the SEC and has flailed ever since (same as they did in the Big 12!). Nebraska jumped to the Big 10 and has been pure crap ever since on the football field (not that they've ever been that good in the last 15 years anyway).

I heard stories that Texas/OU were being sought after by the Pac 12, which Texas declined when they were told they'd have to get rid of the Longhorn Network. Oklahoma State started crying that if OU went to the Pac 12 then THEY had to go too, as if what they say has any effect on OU. Some Okie  politicians, however, claimed that if OU left they'd have to take OSU's lifeless football corpse with them to the Pac 12. Eventually the Pac 12 took Colorado (easy "W" I guess) and Utah. Pretty far drop from OU/Texas, but Utah isn't bad I guess.

If you have a link to an article where the Big 12  discussed disbanding I'd like to see it.

Edited by TobusRex

37 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

If you have a link to an article where the Big 12  discussed disbanding I'd like to see it.

It was discussed and voted on by the schools' officials, on the heels of the Pac-10's bid to absorb all of the big 12 schools except Baylor.

There were several articles discussing the impact Texas moving to the Pac 12 would have on the  Big 12 overall and if the conference could continue. Not sure specifically what you are looking for or trying to argue. Maybe dissolved is a better word then disband.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/419749-how-the-univeristy-of-texas-kept-the-big-12-together-under-their-terms

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=5286672

3 minutes ago, Juanma25 said:

There were several articles discussing the impact Texas moving to the Pac 12 would have on the  Big 12 overall and if the conference could continue. Not sure specifically what you are looking for or trying to argue. Maybe dissolved is a better word then disband.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/419749-how-the-univeristy-of-texas-kept-the-big-12-together-under-their-terms

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=5286672

I've found that people who aren't open to another point of view unless someone else goes out and finds the information for them and provides it to them, instead of doing a tiny bit of research for themselves, are not really interested in gathering information from all sides to form an opinion.  They're just interested in staying stuck on their opinion.  I've also found we are gaining more and more of them.  As a country, we would be doing so much better if this weren't the case.

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I've found that people who aren't open to another point of view unless someone else goes out and finds the information for them and provides it to them, instead of doing a tiny bit of research for themselves, are not really interested in gathering information from all sides to form an opinion.  They're just interested in staying stuck on their opinion.  I've also found we are gaining more and more of them.  As a country, we would be doing so much better if this weren't the case.

LOL...so it's your opinion that when somebody makes an incorrect statement that it's the doubter's duty to verify the story is true for them?  Seems rather ass-backwards, doesn't it? Or is it some sort of aspersion against myself because I expressed disbelief at something you seem hold true (if incorrectly)? The latter, I think.

For the record the links Juanma posted above do not verify the statement that the "Big 12 was going to disband". NOWHERE is that stated in either article. What those articles show are stories about the schools that did leave, or didn't leave the conference, and rampant speculation by the sportswriters (as I said before) about lots of things.

Another thing to consider is that since I'm a lifelong OU fan and have been following the Big 12 since literally the day of it's conception and keenly follow conference stories that affect the Sooners (who as the best team in the conference for the last 20 years were involved in ALL the speculating) that MAYBE I happen to know more about the topic than random guys on the internet who don't follow the Big 12 very closely at all.

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

LOL...so it's your opinion that when somebody makes an incorrect statement that it's the doubter's duty to verify the story is true for them?  Seems rather ass-backwards, doesn't it? Or is it some sort of aspersion against myself because I expressed disbelief at something you seem hold true (if incorrectly)? The latter, I think.

For the record the links Juanma posted above do not verify the statement that the "Big 12 was going to disband". NOWHERE is that stated in either article. What those articles show are stories about the schools that did leave, or didn't leave the conference, and rampant speculation by the sportswriters (as I said before) about lots of things.

Another thing to consider is that since I'm a lifelong OU fan and have been following the Big 12 since literally the day of it's conception and keenly follow conference stories that affect the Sooners (who as the best team in the conference for the last 20 years were involved in ALL the speculating) that MAYBE I happen to know more about the topic than random guys on the internet who don't follow the Big 12 very closely at all.

I'll try to take this step by step:

LOL...so it's your opinion that when somebody makes an incorrect statement that it's the doubter's duty to verify the story is true for them?  Seems rather ass-backwards, doesn't it? Or is it some sort of aspersion against myself because I expressed disbelief at something you seem hold true (if incorrectly)? The latter, I think.  In this particular case, an incorrect statement was not made.  There was discussion among the big12 officials, and they elected not to dissolve and move to the Pac-12.  That information was out there.  If this were a court of law and I was making an accusation, yes it  would be my  duty  to verify that information.  But it is not.  If you desire to have complete and accurate information, then yes the duty is on you to seek it out, the duty is not on anyone else to provide it for you.  As for "aspersion against myself because I expressed  disbelief at something you seem to hold true", I honestly don't know what you are referring to.  So no, definitely not that.

For the record the links Juanma posted above do not verify the statement that the "Big 12 was going to disband". NOWHERE is that stated in either article. What those articles show are stories about the schools that did leave, or didn't leave the conference, and rampant speculation by the sportswriters (as I said before) about lots of things. I have not yet opened  Juanma's links, but the statement was not the Big 12 WAS going to disband, the statement was that there was discussion among Big12 officials.  There was, that information is out there.  If you want to open your mind to all information on the subject, you will seek it out.

Another thing to consider is that since I'm a lifelong OU fan and have been following the Big 12 since literally the day of it's conception and keenly follow conference stories that affect the Sooners (who as the best team in the conference for the last 20 years were involved in ALL the speculating) that MAYBE I happen to know more about the topic than random guys on the internet who don't follow the Big 12 very closely at all.  You are no less a random guy on the internet than I. The difference between us in that regard is that I don't assume to know anything about you when it comes to how much you follow the Big12.  What I do know is that according to news reports, there was discussion among BIG12 officials.  How long you have been an OU fan is totally irrelevant to that fact.

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

B1G tried to flex. It was served a slice of humble pie.

I feel like it was more of just showing that they're really a follower, not a leader.   They were following the Ivy League and some of the other conferences that had already postponed, thinking that's what everyone was going to do.  But once the SEC/ACC/Big 12 started, they basically just followed them.

12 hours ago, matts1w said:

Are they going to fill stadiums?  Surely not???

Nebraska boasts of sell outs consecutive.   All Non Nebraskan fans say Asterix for that.   You can have 92 k  at one game and then 77 k and it is a sell out.   But, I guess if all the tickets are supposedly purchased then it is what it is. Super long streak though. 

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

For the record the links Juanma posted above do not verify the statement that the "Big 12 was going to disband". NOWHERE is that stated in either article. What those articles show are stories about the schools that did leave, or didn't leave the conference, and rampant speculation by the sportswriters (as I said before) about lots of things. I have not yet opened  Juanma's links, but the statement was not the Big 12 WAS going to disband, the statement was that there was discussion among Big12 officials.  There was, that information is out there.  If you want to open your mind to all information on the subject, you will seek it out.

"Kind of reminded me of when the Big 12 was going to disband until Texas decided differently. " was the quote I responded to.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

"Kind of reminded me of when the Big 12 was going to disband until Texas decided differently. " was the quote I responded to.

Okay well I never said that so... what I was responding to you about was your saying it was never discussed. I didn’t follow your conversation with him. 

What was this “disbelief of something you hold true comment” all about? 

Edited by Lurker

Back to wrestling, I would not draw too many parallels between football restarting and wrestling following suit, at least not yet. Football is funded to a degree wrestling will never be, so daily antigen testing (“rapid”) with confirmatory PCR virus testing (gold standard)  for positive antigen cases are not financial barriers to reopening. It’s quite unlikely any wrestling program with the possible exception of certain Ivy League programs have the funding to do this. And Ivy League schools are not going to lead the charge to restart sports. 

Not only are all types of diagnostic tests (except for the clinically useless antibody tests) in severe shortage, they are also prohibitively expensive for all but the best-funded sports. The cheapest “rapid” test is the alleged $4–10 test produced by Yale with sponsorship from the NBA. Done daily, that’s between $28-70 per week per athlete. The more available and vetted rapid antigen tests range from $20 (e.g. Healgen’s) to $35 (e.g. Bechton Dickinson’s) and some require specialized equipment to process the collected samples. An RT-PCR test from a reputable lab is around $90 (if bought in large bulk) and around $150 (if not). Again, per player per test. If you can get access to enough supply. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Back to wrestling, I would not draw too many parallels between football restarting and wrestling following suit, at least not yet. Football is funded to a degree wrestling will never be, so daily antigen testing (“rapid”) with confirmatory PCR virus testing (gold standard)  for positive antigen cases are not financial barriers to reopening. It’s quite unlikely any wrestling program with the possible exception of certain Ivy League programs have the funding to do this. And Ivy League schools are not going to lead the charge to restart sports. 

Not only are all types of diagnostic tests (except for the clinically useless antibody tests) in severe shortage, they are also prohibitively expensive for all but the best-funded sports. The cheapest “rapid” test is the alleged $4–10 test produced by Yale with sponsorship from the NBA. Done daily, that’s between $28-70 per week per athlete. The more available and vetted rapid antigen tests range from $20 (e.g. Healgen’s) to $35 (e.g. Bechton Dickinson’s) and some require specialized equipment to process the collected samples. An RT-PCR test from a reputable lab is around $90 (if bought in large bulk) and around $150 (if not). Again, per player per test. If you can get access to enough supply. 

Hasn't soccer started now at some of the same conferences playing football?  If they can play soccer without much issue, I think they can wrestle.

15 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Why?

In soccer, there are 11x as many opposing players on the playing surface who could potentially expose someone to disease as wrestling would.  However, soccer does has the benefit of being outside.

Edited by AHamilton