Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Big 10 Football is back on

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is it out of the question to wear masks while wrestling?   Obviously different but some baseball players in particular are wearing them even while playing.  Apparently even under armour is making masks now...

Could also wear them under one of those Hannibal Lecter headgear 

This might sound pretty weird, but why can't wrestlers wear luchadore type masks, but with some sort of breathable material covering the mouth?  Hell, the kids might even like it, gives them a chance to get creative. I can already imagine Hawkeyes wearing masks in the hideous gold/black colors with "Hawk" eyes. Fake beak would be cool, but I doubt the refs would allow it!

Edited by TobusRex

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Eh, I feel like you know the kids on the team are probably going to be around each other outside of practice, so I feel like practice doesn't necessarily need to be that different, particularly if they are getting tested pretty often.  Maybe shorten it a bit so it's only 1-1.5 hours max and do more cardio outside if needed.  I could however see teams maybe making cuts and having less "room guys" on the roster this year, because they may not want to have Joe 4th Stringer get covid from a party and then infect the whole team (and of course it would also be less expensive for tests the less guys on the roster).    In theory your top guys will probably be more serious about the precautions.  Yes you may have a few covid FF's, but let's be honest, most coaches don't care about duals anyway.

But I think what you said is more evidence for having primarily duals (in & out in a couple hours) vs. all-day tournaments.

LOL at 4th stringer Joe bringing back the infecton to everybody. That's exactly the way it would happen, too. Seems obvious that the fewer kids in the room, the lower the chance of infection. Maybe the starters and the 2nd team kids can work out together, and send the rest to another place to work out? Or maybe even just have the starters work out together (125v133, 141 vs 149., etc) and have the other guys working out somewhere else. Would have a better chance of keeping the entire team from getting infected, at least. Wouldn't be so great at improving the kids further down the depth chart, but this is an exceptional time and exceptional measures need to be taken to protect our boys.

Edited by TobusRex

Where I'm at, the 6ft for 15 cumulative minutes threshold is only for day-to-day interactions. Here, contact sports are held to a different threshold, and that is any face-to-face contact. We've had local football players quarantined because they were in a dog-pile and two days later, someone in the dog-pile tested positive. Same with volleyball girls. Girl on the front line tests positive then the gal to the left and right and everyone directly on the other side of the net is quarantined for 14. I am on my schools contact tracing committee and an all-day wrestling tournament would be a complete nightmare to trace with our current threshold for contact sports. 

1 hour ago, bogeygolf said:

Where I'm at, the 6ft for 15 cumulative minutes threshold is only for day-to-day interactions. Here, contact sports are held to a different threshold, and that is any face-to-face contact. We've had local football players quarantined because they were in a dog-pile and two days later, someone in the dog-pile tested positive. Same with volleyball girls. Girl on the front line tests positive then the gal to the left and right and everyone directly on the other side of the net is quarantined for 14. I am on my schools contact tracing committee and an all-day wrestling tournament would be a complete nightmare to trace with our current threshold for contact sports. 

That makes sense.  Although isn’t a volleyball game longer than 15 mins anyway?

On 10/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, 1032004 said:

Speaking of volleyball, apparently they have started NCAA volleyball now (and inside).   More positive indications IMO that I think wrestling will happen.

They are wearing masks, no?

43 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

They are wearing masks, no?

Doing a quick perusal of youtube, it looks like during the games a couple were, but most were not.  Still lots of hugging, butt patting and high fiving in between points as well.