lu_alum

Pat Mineo's tweet about M*

9 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Any updates on his status?  Hope all is going well.

It's been all but confirmed on HR, but apparently happened a while back and Ryan is doing well. From the sound of it, it's pretty impressive how long they kept it quiet.

19 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Any updates on his status?  Hope all is going well.

Themat just posted an article. It happened like August 17 and he was released Aug 21 and he’s doing well. Scary to have that happen at a young age.

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

It's been all but confirmed on HR, but apparently happened a while back and Ryan is doing well. From the sound of it, it's pretty impressive how long they kept it quiet.

Maybe it was kept so quiet because MStar didn't want his health issue blasted across the country?  Terrible move on Mineo's part.  

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Maybe it was kept so quiet because MStar didn't want his health issue blasted across the country?  Terrible move on Mineo's part.  

Yes this was definitely why it was kept quiet. I assume it would have been announced at some point, but pretty classless of Mineo.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:33 PM, Lurker said:

What did Morningstar say about Mineo posting it? I didn't see it in his comments after it became public. 

My prayers to him.  Hoping for a full recovery.

The Gazette reported that he's back in the room.  That has to be encouraging news.

Here's something from the Daily Iowan:

https://dailyiowan.com/2020/09/16/assistant-iowa-wrestling-coach-ryan-morningstar-i-feel-great-after-suffering-stroke-in-august/

Edited by TheOhioState

People get butthurt when someone (albeit not a respected journalist, but whatever) reports on a health scare of an assistant for the #1 team in the country?  If the OC/DC for a top SEC football team had a stroke, you better believe it would be a topic of discussion.  This is why wrestling is a second class niche sport.  It might not be nice to have your personal health issues blasted online, but if we want our sport to be high-profile, that is part of the job.

9 minutes ago, Konquest said:

People get butthurt when someone (albeit not a respected journalist, but whatever) reports on a health scare of an assistant for the #1 team in the country?  If the OC/DC for a top SEC football team had a stroke, you better believe it would be a topic of discussion.  This is why wrestling is a second class niche sport.  It might not be nice to have your personal health issues blasted online, but if we want our sport to be high-profile, that is part of the job.

An individual's right to privacy tremendously trumps me wanting to know how healthy someone is. It's not about being butthurt, its about being respectful.  And I truly don't believe us having knowledge of someone's personal and private affairs is going to do one...single....thing to raise the profile of our support in this country.  The OC/DC shouldn't have his information blasted out there unless he wants it to be.  Going along with something that is wrong, does not make it right.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

An individual's right to privacy tremendously trumps me wanting to know how healthy someone is. It's not about being butthurt, its about being respectful.  And I truly don't believe us having knowledge of someone's personal and private affairs is going to do one...single....thing to raise the profile of our support in this country.  The OC/DC shouldn't have his information blasted out there unless he wants it to be.  Going along with something that is wrong, does not make it right.

How do you know that Mineo did not speak to him first? How do you know that Morningstar is upset about it?  The answer based on a previous answer is that you don’t. Your argument and name calling is based on your assumption that he posted this recklessly without permission or speaking with him.  If he did  do it without consideration then  you would be correct in your assumption.  If he did speak to him and all is good...

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

How do you know that Mineo did not speak to him first? How do you know that Morningstar is upset about it?  The answer based on a previous answer is that you don’t. Your argument and name calling is based on your assumption that he posted this recklessly without permission or speaking with him.  If he did  do it without consideration then  you would be correct in your assumption.  If he did speak to him and all is good...

You are absolutely right, I am assuming.  And if it turns out that he spoke to Morningstar first and he said, yeah I haven't put it out there, but you go ahead and be my voice for my, I will apologize and recant my statement.  But I feel fairly confident I won't need to do that. 

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

https://dailyiowan.com/2020/09/16/assistant-iowa-wrestling-coach-ryan-morningstar-i-feel-great-after-suffering-stroke-in-august/

8 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Yes. Iowa U announced it and Morningstar talked about it publicly........two days after Mineo decided he would make it public.  I wonder if they were inundated with calls after Mineo's tweet, and decided to do a release since it was already out??? He even says he "appreciated the privacy I was afforded in his recovery".  Hmmmm

Again, just an assumption on my part.  

Edited by Lurker

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

This should be moreso directed to whoever talked about it where Mineo heard it, because like you, I doubt he spoke to Morningstar.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

This should be moreso directed to whoever talked about it where Mineo heard it, because like you, I doubt he spoke to Morningstar.

Nah, I think its more about who put it out for the whole world to see.  That much we know. You're guessing.

I'm told a lot of stuff about our athletes...but then again some people have respect for others privacy, some want to do whatever they can to make a name for themselves, others be damned.