lu_alum

Pat Mineo's tweet about M*

I can’t understand why this personal medical info needed reporting in the first place.  Morningstar seems like a good guy and was a very good college wrestler.  But he is an assistant coach for a college wrestling team.  If he were President, I get it.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Nah, I think its more about who put it out for the whole world to see.  That much we know. You're guessing.

I'm told a lot of stuff about our athletes...but then again some people have respect for others privacy, some want to do whatever they can to make a name for themselves, others be damned.

According to HR, it had been discussed on the podcast by the guy who runs IAwrestle, and also posted on social media by someone (paraphrasing here) “semi-prominent with close connections to the team.”

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

According to HR, it had been discussed on the podcast by the guy who runs IAwrestle, and also posted on social media by someone (paraphrasing here) “semi-prominent with close connections to the team.”

Well I’ll put more weight into Morningstar himself saying (After someone else went public of course) he appreciates being afforded privacy, much more than “someone” on social media. But everyone is free to think what they want to think. God bless America!!

I’m going to leave it at that and move on to the next topic. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well I’ll put more weight into Morningstar himself saying (After someone else went public of course) he appreciates being afforded privacy, much more than “someone” on social media. But everyone is free to think what they want to think. God bless America!!

I’m going to leave it at that and move on to the next topic. 

Fair enough.  The point is it seems the info was already out there in "public" prior to Mineo's tweet.  All Mineo did was make more people aware of it.

Edited by 1032004

21 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So if someone breaks the law it is okay for you to do it??  Mineo doesn't get a pass on this.

Apples and oranges IMO.

A better comparison would probably be TMZ breaking the news of Kobe Bryant's death before his family knew.   Blame TMZ for doing it first, not every other news station in the world for following up on it once they heard about it.   Mineo is the other news stations in this situation.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Apples and oranges IMO.

A better comparison would probably be TMZ breaking the news of Kobe Bryant's death before his family knew.   Blame TMZ for doing it first, not every other news station in the world for following up on it once they heard about it.   Mineo is the other news stations in this situation.

Hopefully M*'s family knew about his stroke before Mineo reported it!

7 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Hopefully M*'s family knew about his stroke before Mineo reported it!

I said better comparison, not perfect comparison.  But yeah, basically more reason that it's silly to be mad at Mineo for tweeting about something that was already out there.

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I find it interesting that there are some, very few, here who are more interested in protecting the jerk off’s so called “integrity” than they are about someone’s right to privacy in a personal health situation (which trumps everything). 
Says a lot about a person. 

Oh I agree, he should have has had his privacy protected.  By the people that he actually told the information to.  Be mad at them.

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don't think anything was on a podcast publicly or on any USA Wrestling or Iowa newspaper sites until Mineo after released it.   Could be wrong here, but if you have a link to said podcast I'd appreciate it. 

Is this a better comparison..."Oh look, someone took a crap on that car, I am going to spread it all over the car...but hey, I wasn't the one who took the crap. 

This is what I hate about social media and the news...ZERO responsibility for what people say or post (especially something as private as someone's medical condition)...this attitude that "well someone else did it first" is terrible.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Apples and oranges IMO.

I guess, assuming that this news was broken on some form of media before, which I'm not sure has been established.  

If that were the case there would still be substantial differences in that Bryant was a much bigger public figure and that the result -- a crash near a residential area that killed 9 people -- was far more newsworthy. 

On the related question of whether it's OK for media (using the term broadly) to report on info gotten illegally, I doubt the M* info was obtained illegally from a covered entity violating privacy laws; more likely from the patient himself talking to friends and then being passed along by people not subject to privacy laws.

Furthermore, media can report info obtained illegally, as they regularly do with national security and grand jury leaks. Whether they should is the question. With leaks like the Pentagon Papers and Snowden, the thinking is that you publish it because the public may have been deceived and the national interest affected. 

In this case, I'm struggling to see a compelling public interest in making this highly personal information public, particularly when we have no reason to believe that it has caused any major disruption to the admittedly high profile Iowa program at this early stage.  The lack of info from the university would appear to have been about privacy, not a cover up.

4 hours ago, dman115 said:

So if someone breaks the law it is okay for you to do it??  Mineo doesn't get a pass on this.

Terrible analogy....especially when a law wasn’t broken 

Edited by Idaho

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

I don't think anything was on a podcast publicly or on any USA Wrestling or Iowa newspaper sites until Mineo after released it.   Could be wrong here, but if you have a link to said podcast I'd appreciate it. 

This was according to the HR thread on this subject, have not heard it myself.  I think I did find the other person's social media post that was referenced though, which I hadn't seen until today but was posted 8/25.   It didn't say anything about a stroke, but basically said he was "struggling through adversity" and said "M* Strong," with 20+ comments wishing him "thoughts and prayers," "prayers for healing," hoping he can "pull through it," etc.

22 hours ago, dman115 said:

HIPPA laws?

Or the fact it was already reported publicly with details several weeks before? 
Mineo doesn’t get a pass for well wishes to someone To recover when the story was already out there?  Ok. 

20 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Thank you, from that it was clear it was talked about publicly well before Mineo tweeted about it.  I'm not going to ever be a fan of what PM does, but at the same time the vitriol is probably not warranted here. 

Couple things. 

1. The announcers on the podcast said that they thought they shouldn't have brought it up because it was private.

2. Regardless, if that was how Mineo learned of the news, it would have been much better if he had sourced his information to the podcast, which is a traditional news practice for a lot of reasons; in this case,if he had done so, it would have drastically reduced the bases for the consternation filling this thread.