Badger Fan

Senior Nationals

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Senior nationals this year is the equivalent of last chance.

no Senior Nationals is not a qualifier event for anything. any changes to the OTT have to be approved by multiple committees and that did not happen for Sr Nats. 

It's possible this WOULD have been a qualifier for a WTT only IF UWW had mad a definite ruling about having 2020 World Championships, but that decision got delayed by UWW, so there are no qualification implications for the event, except that NCAA athletes will be able to qualify for Olympic redshirts. but that doesnt get them a spot at any of the trials because of it. 

the results will also affect OTT/WTT seeds, so some athletes may be taking that into account when deciding whether or not to participate. 

More info here.

one final caveat - I thought I remember seeing that a placement at Sr Nats would qualify wrestlers for age level WTTs, (ie junior and U23s) but now I can't find anything on that. Also U23 worlds was officially canceled and JR Worlds is, like SR Worlds, hanging on to its scheduled existence by a thread. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

no Senior Nationals is not a qualifier event for anything. any changes to the OTT have to be approved by multiple committees and that did not happen for Sr Nats. 

It's possible this WOULD have been a qualifier for a WTT only IF UWW had mad a definite ruling about having 2020 World Championships, but that decision got delayed by UWW, so there are no qualification implications for the event, except that NCAA athletes will be able to qualify for Olympic redshirts. but that doesnt get them a spot at any of the trials because of it. 

the results will also affect OTT/WTT seeds, so some athletes may be taking that into account when deciding whether or not to participate. 

More info here.

one final caveat - I thought I remember seeing that a placement at Sr Nats would qualify wrestlers for age level WTTs, (ie junior and U23s) but now I can't find anything on that. Also U23 worlds was officially canceled and JR Worlds is, like SR Worlds, hanging on to its scheduled existence by a thread. 

The competition is equivalant to last chance. Kind of thought it was obvious but it's been a long week for us all.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

What would they get sick and die from?

please... don't ... do ... this ... whether or not you believe it's true, certainly you understand that other people could consider that there are risks.

Edited by ugarte

33 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The competition is equivalant to last chance. Kind of thought it was obvious but it's been a long week for us all.

yeah sorry I'm definitely not following. thought you were implying that SR Nats was equivalent to the Last Chance Tournament in that you qualify for the OTT if you win it. but I guess that's not the case. 

31 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

yeah sorry I'm definitely not following. thought you were implying that SR Nats was equivalent to the Last Chance Tournament in that you qualify for the OTT if you win it. but I guess that's not the case. 

Clearly what he meant was the competition level.  He even said as much.

Now you're playing dumb.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I think Spey's just mad that his boy Pat just booted him out of his super secret Facebook group.  I'm nowhere near on his level of comprehension with these things and even I got it.

41 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think Spey's just mad that his boy Pat just booted him out of his super secret Facebook group.  I'm nowhere near on his level of comprehension with these things and even I got it.

In Spey's defense I did not read either the original message or the follow up message that way. The original message that Spey replied to said senior nationals is the equivalent of last chance. No mention of competition level at all. Just one is equivalent to the other. And in one very important respect, they are not equivalent. Last chance does not allow any athletes already qualified for OTT to compete. Senior nationals does. Secondly, since there was talk at one time of using Senior Nationals as a last chance equivalent, it is easy to see how one may find problems with bnwtwg's statement. I appreciated Spey's detailed explanation. 

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In Spey's defense I did not read either the original message or the follow up message that way. The original message that Spey replied to said senior nationals is the equivalent of last chance. No mention of competition level at all. Just one is equivalent to the other. And in one very important respect, they are not equivalent. Last chance does not allow any athletes already qualified for OTT to compete. Senior nationals does. Secondly, since there was talk at one time of using Senior Nationals as a last chance equivalent, it is easy to see how one may find problems with bnwtwg's statement. I appreciated Spey's detailed explanation. 

Quit making sense.

We don't do that here!

19 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

ah yes i read "competition" as "the event" and not "talent level". Makes sense now. thanks for the clarifications everyone and apologies for the confusion. now please relax and enjoy the wrestling lol

QUIT. BEING. SO. SENSIBLE.

Jk.  Super stoked for this weekend.

Did I miss you making your picks somewhere for MFS?

Heads up, these 11 wrestlers qualified for an Olympic redshirt today. Biggest name probably Braxton Amos, but other solid guys there like Bonaccorsi and Thomsen. 

Alex Thomsen (Nebraska), Chance Rich (Cal St Bakersfield), Dylan Koontz (Ohio St), Mosha Schwartz (Northern Colorado), Peyton Robb (Nebraska), Fritz Schierl (Ohio St), Zach Braunagel (Illinois), Braxton Amos (Wisconsin), Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt), Luke Luffman (Illinois), Austin Emerson (Nebraska).

Also, just realized I missed Nick Boykin (Ohio St) and  Zach Schrader (Cal St Bakersfield) last year, so that makes a total of 71 guys I have listed.

Also, shout out Trent Munoz and Conor Knopick, two high school guys who finished top 8 and would have qualified had they been in college. An impressive feat. 

just got to watch the replay of schultz and farmer...

big shout out to timmy hands for mentioning farmer earlier today... a D1 lineman now trying greco...

farmer made schultz wrestle and also showed that schultz's par terre defense is still suspect...