Sign in to follow this  
Alwayswrestling

Was that a bad loss for Yanni?

Yianni lost 4-4 on criteria. Kinch exposed Yianni's back in a scramble for his first 2pts then took him down for another 2.

I don't think it was a bad loss at all considering it was just exhibition plus the fact that Kinch is an Olympic and World champ, which is another nice gauge and feel for Yianni. Kinch looked pretty slick and still very quick and I'm not sure if he was actually in peak form. 

Not sure how close or far Yianni was from his peak but after the match he admitted that he was a little rusty from not competing in a while (paraphrasing). 

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Not a bad loss given it was against Kinch, even if he is considerably smaller and out of shape. However, I think Yianni’s phenomenal progression of the past three years has stalled out quite a bit and not just due to COVID. 

I don't think its fair to say his progression has 'stalled out'. The curve might not be as steep but keep in mind hes still in college and hasn't quite fully matured physically. The fact that he's competitive with world and olympic champs should only reinforce peoples opinions about his talent. 

I don't think Yianni's progression has stalled at all.  When is the last time he competed?  Seemed like he was trying some more misdirection shots. I thought this was the best match I've seen out of all the cards this summer; chicago bts, flo's july card, Sonnen's cage card, etc.  Can't wait to see Yianni in "peak" form in April.  

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

If you call that a bad loss you don’t realize how good Khinchegashvili is. Yianni was right there and could obviously win if they met again.  Hats off to both for putting it on the line. 

We all know how good he was at 57... the question is how good is he at 65 now? I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that Khinchegashvili is a medal contender at 65. That’s where Yianni wants to be so it’s definitely not a good loss. Obviously a close match though so he may not be far off. 

26 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

We all know how good he was at 57... the question is how good is he at 65 now? I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that Khinchegashvili is a medal contender at 65. That’s where Yianni wants to be so it’s definitely not a good loss. Obviously a close match though so he may not be far off. 

Well in 2019 he took silver at Euros with a 8-2 win over Chakaev. He’s only 29 with an Olympic silver and gold already under his belt. I don’t care what weight it was, that speaks volumes. It was not a bad loss for Yianni who has never even made a senior world team.  

6 hours ago, BTC said:

I don't think its fair to say his progression has 'stalled out'. The curve might not be as steep but keep in mind hes still in college and hasn't quite fully matured physically. The fact that he's competitive with world and olympic champs should only reinforce peoples opinions about his talent. 

Not stalled out, period. Stalled out some. He is as nasty as ever with counteroffense and defense. But improving those areas from great to elite was the low hanging fruit. Now he has to work on more fundamental changes. Whether he can make that jump is a fair question. For the record, I think he can, but I now think it'll take longer than I first expected it to.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

7 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I am on the same page re: bad loss but if you think he is progressing at the same rate, you need to go to detox right now. Good “stuff” indeed.

You do realize the once you get to a high level, like say a level where you’re beating world silvers, going to criteria with Olympic champs, winning world ranking series events....your rate of progression isn’t going to look as “fast” as as when you were 16, because the things you are focusing on for your progression at that point are much different.  You do understand that right??

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

You do realize the once you get to a high level, like say a level where you’re beating world silvers, going to criteria with Olympic champs, winning world ranking series events....your rate of progression isn’t going to look as “fast” as as when you were 16, because the things you are focusing on for your progression at that point are much different.  You do understand that right??

I do. And do you understand that means his progression has stalled out a bit? Apparently not.

Just now, Lurker said:

I understand what you are saying, I just respectfully disagree. 

So you think he's still developing at the same rate? He went from getting his ass kicked by JO in practice per his own admission to teching JO in a matter of months. Then he beat a game World silver medalist, albeit in an exhibition match. Then he showed no improvement against Zain and has been at around the same level since then. COVID of course is a factor. But the trend was there already before the pandemic. I'm a big Yianni fan but he has already picked his low hanging fruit and that necessarily means progression here on out will be a lot harder.

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

So you think he's still developing at the same rate? He went from getting his ass kicked by JO in practice per his own admission to teching JO in a matter of months. Then he beat a game World silver medalist, albeit in an exhibition match. Then he showed no improvement against Zain and has been at around the same level since then. COVID of course is a factor. But the trend was there already before the pandemic. I'm a big Yianni fan but he has already picked his low hanging fruit and that necessarily means progression here on out will be a lot harder.

That is the story of every endeavor.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think he’s progressing just fine. I tend to go by what I’m actually seeing than the score. Not going to split hairs. And I don’t have a problem with it, I have a different opinion. Sorry if that constitutes a problem.
All good. Have a good Sunday. 

Edited by Lurker