Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Division I School Adds Wrestling Team

Didn't they have a D1 program, and not all that long ago either? I seem to remember watching one of their heavies, who I was 99% sure I could have stepped on the mat and beaten at the time, maybe 10 years ago. I think his name was Wine?? Something like that. 

Edited by TobusRex

They scored 5.5 points for a 17th out of 17 finish at EIWA's.  Their 149, 157, 165, 174, 184 and 197 all went 1-2.  Their 165 Brandon Levesque was the only one with a win in the championship bracket.

Did have dual wins over VMI, Franklin & Marshall, Davidson, Cal Baptist, Bloomsburg and LIU though.

Edited by 1032004

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Didn't they have a D1 program, and not all that long ago either? I seem to remember watching one of their heavies, who I was 99% sure I could have stepped on the mat and beaten at the time, maybe 10 years ago. I think his name was Wine?? Something like that. 

Josh Wine that you're thinking of wrestled for VMI...although he was a pretty darned good wrestler for them.

As far as Sacred Heart, they've had a program this whole time, but they've added a women's team. Sacred Heart's last qualifier was Payam Zarrinpour in 2007, who is also their only All-American. (I believe he was their first Division I All-American in any sport, ever, but Jason Bryant will probably correct me on this one)

10 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Josh Wine that you're thinking of wrestled for VMI...although he was a pretty darned good wrestler for them.

As far as Sacred Heart, they've had a program this whole time, but they've added a women's team. Sacred Heart's last qualifier was Payam Zarrinpour in 2007, who is also their only All-American. (I believe he was their first Division I All-American in any sport, ever, but Jason Bryant will probably correct me on this one)

Thanks for the correction.