Just now, Relentless125 said:

Yes, you're right actually. Guess they probably won't have a complete consolation bracket.

1st place - 20k,

2nd place - 10k,

3rd place - 5k

4th place - 2.5k

5-8th place - 1k

I also remember hearing that.

36 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I think if Gavin is in shape, he wins this. I have no idea what his current training situation is, so that’s a pretty big if, but he has by far the best freestyle technique out of that group. He has that slick style like many foreign wrestlers and doesn’t need a huge gas tank...just enough to get by.

But how big is he? I heard he was a 74K guy but stayed out of burroughs weight. That was in the day before weigh in era though...

46 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

But how big is he? I heard he was a 74K guy but stayed out of burroughs weight. That was in the day before weigh in era though...

Good point. He never looked big for his weight and that wasn't even 195.

Size may play a factor in this tournament as pretty much all these guys were college 184 pounders. Have to think Rasheed is the biggest based on that.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

I thought I read 5-8 was 1k...

Then why would anyone wrestle the 5-8 matches aside from pride?  If you're not getting any additional money, why risk injury in this sort of tournament?

14 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Good point. He never looked big for his weight and that wasn't even 195.

Size may play a factor in this tournament as pretty much all these guys were college 184 pounders. Have to think Rasheed is the biggest based on that.

but as far as creds go rasheed is actually a pretty thin in free and folk compared to the field. 

If he had done everything he has done but wrestled for clarion, would he be in the event?

This is food for thought, I am not saying he sucks. 

35 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Then why would anyone wrestle the 5-8 matches aside from pride?  If you're not getting any additional money, why risk injury in this sort of tournament?

You lose first round and you're out.

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

That’s a fair point... I doubt he could’ve made 74kg but he wasn’t a huge 86. I’m sure he put on some weight since competing but doubt it’s all “good weight” lol. I could see him being at a pretty big disadvantage in strength against someone like Dean. It will be interesting to see if he can overcome that.

Edited by Eagle26

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s a fair point... I doubt he could’ve made 74kg but he wasn’t a huge 86. I’m sure he put on some weight since competing but doubt it’s all “good weight” lol. I could see him being at a pretty big strength advantage against someone like Dean. It will be interesting to see if he can overcome that.

Huh?

11 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Looks like, "the talent" didn't want the money...

Hypothetical domestic star-studded event with Fix, Gilman, Lee, Suriano, Gross, Colon, Micic. You offer them a tourney in the middle of the offseason where half only make a thousand bucks to take an L and go home after 6 minutes. Why WOULD top-flight wrestlers be interested?

At the senior level the only things that make sense as a reward that outweighs the risk of injury are world rankings points, national team tourneys, and being offered a five-figure guaranteed purse. Otherwise they are looking at $1k minus taxes and I doubt anyone of that caliber could be convinced to put it all on the line and walk away with $700 bucks when it’s all said and done. 

Please know that I fully support the brackets Flo is rolling out to make lemonade out of the lemons this year has given. It is fantastic and I am glad that non-top tier competitors get another moment and the spotlight doesn’t end at 22 years old, and fantastic that fans get to see competition when there has not been anything but delayed hope and cancellations. I just want to see the forest and the big redwood trees and I would be more than willing to give Flo some sweet PPV money to see it.

Edited by bnwtwg
grammar

39 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Hypothetical domestic star-studded event with Fix, Gilman, Lee, Suriano, Gross, Colon, Micic. You offer them a tourney in the middle of the offseason where half only make a thousand bucks to take an L and go home after 6 minutes. Why WOULD top-flight wrestlers be interested?

At the senior level the only things that make sense as a reward that outweighs the risk of injury are world rankings points, national team tourneys, and being offered a five-figure guaranteed purse. Otherwise they are looking at $1k minus taxes and I doubt anyone of that caliber could be convinced to put it all on the line and walk away with $700 bucks when it’s all said and done. 

Please know that I fully support the brackets Flo is rolling out to make lemonade out of the lemons this year has given. It is fantastic and I am glad that non-top tier competitors get another moment and the spotlight doesn’t end at 22 years old, and fantastic that fans get to see competition when there has not been anything but delayed hope and cancellations. I just want to see the forest and the big redwood trees and I would be more than willing to give Flo some sweet PPV money to see it.

Also there is no indication that Flo is covering travel expenses either, which I am assuming they are.

If(when) these end up being a huge success, I expect we'll see more money on them.

Keep in mind even for UFC some fighters are only making $6k to show, still.  If the number goes up to $2.5k to show, then placement rewards, I'd be very happy.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Hypothetically, the top-flight wrestlers should be interested in the $20K if they think they have a legit shot to win (of course all but 2 of the guys you listed can't take any money right now though).

I think this bracket is decent.  I could see someone like Taylor not being too concerned with the $20K, but I would've thought Bo would be interested.

Edited by 1032004

13 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Senior Nationals had many Olympic hopefuls competing for pride. Not sure how much money the HWC and NLWC are paying for matches but if its in the ballpark of $1,000 then they would all also, by your reckoning, be competing for pride. 

Not sure why competing for 'pride' would surprise you. that is historically how things work in this sport. 

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Senior Nationals had many Olympic hopefuls competing for pride. Not sure how much money the HWC and NLWC are paying for matches but if its in the ballpark of $1,000 then they would all also, by your reckoning, be competing for pride. 

Not sure why competing for 'pride' would surprise you. that is historically how things work in this sport. 

We are in an Olympic year, so the risk of injury outweighs "pride."  

Since they have no chance of winning and your company is going to pay them the same amount anyway, why would they risk injury and compete in a consolation match?  What happens if one of these guys gets hurt wrestling in the 5th or 7th place match of your tournament and can't wrestle at the Olympic Trials?

Also, the results of your tournament don't matter as 195 is not an Olympic weight class so there is no impact on seeding at the Trials.  Another reason not to risk injury and wrestle in the 5th or 7th place match.

Finally, all of our WFS and Greco wrestlers forfeited their finals matches at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier because they didn't want to risk injury.  Do they not have pride then?

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Finally, all of our WFS and Greco wrestlers forfeited their finals matches at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier because they didn't want to risk injury.  Do they not have pride then?

They forfeited because the cumulative decision made by the coaching staff was that Qualification > COVID risks > Gold Medal.  Pride wasn't even considered due to the potential health risk(s) and unknown(s) of COVID.

46 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

We are in an Olympic year, so the risk of injury outweighs "pride."  

But not for everyone that wrestled at Senior Nationals or will wrestle at events organized by Flo, HWC or NLWC apparently.

46 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Since they have no chance of winning and your company is going to pay them the same amount anyway, why would they risk injury and compete in a consolation match?  What happens if one of these guys gets hurt wrestling in the 5th or 7th place match of your tournament and can't wrestle at the Olympic Trials?

Uh, everyone in the bracket has a chance of winning? Not sure what you mean. There's also no wrestle backs for 5th or 7th. 

Wrestlers are taking a risk of injury every time they practice. They're not going to sit in bubble wrap until the OTT. All the feedback I'm hearing is that Olympic hopefuls are actively seeking competition. 

48 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Also, the results of your tournament don't matter as 195 is not an Olympic weight class so there is no impact on seeding at the Trials.  Another reason not to risk injury and wrestle in the 5th or 7th place match.

Already covered, see above.

49 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

What on earth are you talking about? The pride angle is what you brought up, not me!

Every wrestler assumes whatever degree of risk they feel comfortable with. No one is forcing anyone to take any matches they don't want to. Sounds like you're trying to accuse Flo of doing something underhanded here but I all we're doing is offering money to compete. Seems like an odd thing to get angry about but that is just mho. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

What on earth are you talking about? The pride angle is what you brought up, not me!

Every wrestler assumes whatever degree of risk they feel comfortable with. No one is forcing anyone to take any matches they don't want to. Sounds like you're trying to accuse Flo of doing something underhanded here but I all we're doing is offering money to compete. Seems like an odd thing to get angry about but that is just mho. 

Spey - My bad.  I didn't understand that if a competitor lost his first round match, he would be done and finish in 5-8 place.  I thought there was a wrestleback for 5th/7th.

I am a paid subscriber to Flo and I appreciate you guys putting on events, especially now with all the shutdowns due to covid.  Sorry for the confusion on my end.

5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Spey - My bad.  I didn't understand that if a competitor lost his first round match, he would be done and finish in 5-8 place.  I thought there was a wrestleback for 5th/7th.

I am a paid subscriber to Flo and I appreciate you guys putting on events, especially now with all the shutdowns due to covid.  Sorry for the confusion on my end.

All good! Looks like I read too much into your response so my bad there. Glad we can put on events that folks are looking forward to!

On 10/16/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

All good! Looks like I read too much into your response so my bad there. Glad we can put on events that folks are looking forward to!

Can you confirm that Ben Provisior wanted to enter the tournament, but was turned down?  This is just a rumor I have heard, it would be great to hear from the source what the real story is.

Edited by jchapman

33 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Can you confirm that Ben Provisior wanted to enter the tournament, but was turned down?  This is just a rumor I have heard, it would be great to hear from the source what the real story is.

There is plenty of evidence that he wanted to.  None that he was actually turned down.  I think they already had most of the guys set already and were waiting on one or two more to respond with a yay or nay.  He was likely never considered of the 15 or so guys they likely reached out to.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, nhs67 said:

Best to ask his other account @Blue Dragons

Interesting that he has disappeared since his son has done gone and fckd his life up.

I hear that PD3 is doing quite well at ATT, really loves that South Florida lifestyle, and especially likes his new plethora of training partners...especially Mocco. 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/team-usa-national-wrestling-champ-pat-downey-pursuing-mma-after-olympics

On 9/22/2020 at 4:39 AM, gimpeltf said:

If this is USAW sanctioned, Downey still is on the interim suspension list so couldn't compete.

It's weak without PD3 and they'll lose lots of viewers.  It's not sanctioned by USAW and he could have competed.  Flo is like a jellyfish...no backbone.

45 minutes ago, Blue Dragons said:

It's weak without PD3 and they'll lose lots of viewers.  It's not sanctioned by USAW and he could have competed.  Flo is like a jellyfish...no backbone.

You're drunk, Mr Downey.  Poor form.

1 hour ago, Blue Dragons said:

I hear that PD3 is doing quite well at ATT, really loves that South Florida lifestyle, and especially likes his new plethora of training partners...especially Mocco. 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/team-usa-national-wrestling-champ-pat-downey-pursuing-mma-after-olympics

Except he isn't doing good.  I actually know several toons down at ATT in Coconut Creek.  Don't try to paint a picture that isn't there.

The guy is a clown, and is still seen as such.  He has a lot to peove before they accept him.  As of now they trust him as much as you can trust a fart in a $HlTstorm.

I hope he turns his life around.  For both his and your sake.