Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Bo confirms

I’ve always thought that seemed like it would be the best weight for him. It makes it even more perplexing that he didn’t make the drop last year. Maybe he was planning on going up but after wrestling Snyder in the room he changed his mind. 

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

I’ve always thought that seemed like it would be the best weight for him. It makes it even more perplexing that he didn’t make the drop last year. Maybe he was planning on going up but after wrestling Snyder in the room he changed his mind. 

Didn't see the match the other night but prior to I heard from a couple people that he is looking better than ever?

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

I think some sketchy stuff went on, steelfrog has posted on the subject, at first I thought he was nuts, but its making more and more sense.

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think some sketchy stuff went on, steelfrog has posted on the subject, at first I thought he was nuts, but its making more and more sense.

Care to elaborate or link the thread? I feel like I remember some sketchy stuff steelfrog posted about flo, but don’t recall anything about Bo? 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Didn't see the match the other night but prior to I heard from a couple people that he is looking better than ever?

I wouldn’t doubt that... Snyder seems to fit the penn state mold and I would guess he is thriving there

4 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Care to elaborate or link the thread? I feel like I remember some sketchy stuff steelfrog posted about flo, but don’t recall anything about Bo? 

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/24672-dt-nixes-match-with-bo/&tab=comments#comment-531055

this page of this topic

52 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Occam's razor. I like this theory the most. Two big brothers. Choose the smaller one.

Yeah but what does occam's razor say about why it took him so long to figure out that you should not bump up a weight when you are already undersized into the weight of the worlds best wrestler....

How will 86 KG get seeded?  Here are some of the key guys in possible contention.  It looked for a while like a stroll to the Olympics for Taylor.  Now the path might get more complex.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9.  Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

12.  PD III (or is he old news?)

13.  Max Dean and/or Gabe Dean?

Edited by dmm53

If Nickal makes the team VS a healthy Taylor it would be one of the biggest Olympic year surprises in history. When was the last time someone who never made a team took a spot from a former world champion? I know Monday did it against Schultz in 88. Anyone else ?

16 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

If Nickal makes the team VS a healthy Taylor it would be one of the biggest Olympic year surprises in history. When was the last time someone who never made a team took a spot from a former world champion? I know Monday did it against Schultz in 88. Anyone else ?

Here ya go.....https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1984/06/24/schultz-beats-kemp-in-wrestling-trials/8dc8bfd4-d94e-4c30-bcc6-a2cb07fe8df0/

11 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I wouldn’t doubt that... Snyder seems to fit the penn state mold and I would guess he is thriving there

When he made the move I felt like this should definitely be the best move he could have made.  The thing I noticed most about him particularly at the Matteo was that everything was head on straight forward and back.  No angles, no circles or lateral movement, very little scrambling.  There's no better place to be to develop those skills. 

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

I was there in 96 when Les Gutches beat defending world & Olympic champ (95 & 92) Kevin Jackson (also WGM in 91) for the team.  He had beaten KJ at nationals that year also.   Another 2X world champ and defending world champ was beaten at 57kg that year for the Olympic team spot.  K Cross beat Terry Brands in one of best 3 match series ever.

Edited by lu1979

3 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I was there in 96 when Les Gutches beat defending world & Olympic champ (95 & 92) Kevin Jackson (also WGM in 91) for the team.  He had beaten KJ at nationals that year also.   Another 2X world champ and defending world champ was beaten at 57kg that year for the Olympic team spot.  K Cross beat Terry Brands in one of best 3 match series ever.

Also, didn't Charles Burton beat (an injured) Gutches in 2000?

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah but what does occam's razor say about why it took him so long to figure out that you should not bump up a weight when you are already undersized into the weight of the worlds best wrestler....

He chose to go up before Snyder arrived to PSU. Any illusions of beating him out must’ve gone out the window shortly thereafter. 

15 hours ago, dmm53 said:

How will 86 KG get seeded?  Here are some of the key guys in possible contention.  It looked for a while like a stroll to the Olympics for Taylor.  Now the path might get more complex.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9.  Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

12.  PD III (or is he old news?)

13.  Max Dean and/or Gabe Dean?

Bo would need to wrestle and beat Zahid prior to trials to get the #2 seed.  But with his win over Ringer at the NLWC event, he should get the #3 seed assuming he doesn't lose to Ringer or anyone else before the trials.  

21 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Bo would need to wrestle and beat Zahid prior to trials to get the #2 seed.  But with his win over Ringer at the NLWC event, he should get the #3 seed assuming he doesn't lose to Ringer or anyone else before the trials.  

Really, an exhibition match counts against him?

55 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Really, an exhibition match counts against him?

It is in the USA Wrestling Athlete Selection Procedures for the Olympic Games - Seeding Criteria (b)(i).  See below.

i. Head to head within the last year.  The “last year” is defined as the April 2019 U.S. Open up to 
the April 2021 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐ Wrestling.

1.   If there is a split in matches, the last win determines the top seed.

In terms of Bo at 86. It’s a smart move. There is no easy path at either weight and 97 has 2 top of the world class guys and 86 has one. Combine that with the fact that Taylor is coming off a serious knee injury and although that was his first injury ever according to him, you usually don’t get less injured as you get older.  

I wonder how often Bo goes with DT and Snyder.  You’d assume quite a bit but there are plenty of partners in that room. Man that room is special right now.