fadzaev2

Flo's "Metcalf"

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Not with the skateboarding part, Schlatter interviews didn't really have much insight but there is something great about the fact that he sat for it at all, stuff about his brother was really moving. Liked it very much.

As far as the skateboarding part, I thought it showed his tenacity and toughness, along with athleticism when going out and taking all those "spills" until he got the rust off.  I thought both Brent and Dustin showed great respect for each other....2 great competitors and great wrestlers.  It's all good....what a great sport....nothing like it.

Fadz

Wow, didn't know he had a brother who was also a really good wrestler (I don't follow the HS boys all that closely). Great stuff on FLO's video. Was cool that Schlatter was brought in for the piece as well. I thought Schlatter was a nearly sure thing 4x NCAA champ after his super impressive Fr season. Too bad injuries derailed his career, he was a helluva wrestler. 

I feel kind of bad for rooting against Metcalf when he was in college. He's actually a likable guy. Granted, I'd have probably rooted against him because he was a Hawkeye, lol, but that's just a points thing at NCAAs. 

I enjoyed this docu as well.  The Schlatter interview was awesome and both of their perspectives on the rivalry were cool.

I hope that they get deep into the Caldwell match and fall out, his room battles with Schwab early in his freestyle career and most importantly any and all drama on him departing from the Hawkeye family and specifically Tom Brands.  Episode 2 and 3 could be awesome, just hope Flo asked the tough questions.

Listen to Metcalf on Bloodround from last week. It's a great interview and you learn that the "Iowa" Mecalf was basically an act.

I don’t think that’s quite right. We were the same age and Metcalf was always like Iowa persona on the mat. I remember him dropping a match to Johnstone at Jr. Duels and standing over him screaming at him to get up and wrestle. Crazy intensity. Off the mat, I hung out with the Iowa guys at the OTC, and he seemed like a bit of a goofball if anything. He was always a smart guy, carrying great GPAs in high school and college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was also interesting that he knew nothing of Iowa wrestling or Gable even and I'm assuming any other great wrestlers or coaches of the time.  He just knew he loved the Brands brothers because of the TNT video that Coach Hall showed him.  My how times have changed since then.

33 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Wow, didn't know he had a brother who was also a really good wrestler (I don't follow the HS boys all that closely). Great stuff on FLO's video. Was cool that Schlatter was brought in for the piece as well. I thought Schlatter was a nearly sure thing 4x NCAA champ after his super impressive Fr season. Too bad injuries derailed his career, he was a helluva wrestler. 

I feel kind of bad for rooting against Metcalf when he was in college. He's actually a likable guy. Granted, I'd have probably rooted against him because he was a Hawkeye, lol, but that's just a points thing at NCAAs. 

Yeah, Chase was really special and was a lot more raw than Brent to start High School.  I admittedly didn't know too much about him until States his Frosh season.  He was still at Goodrich then and, I don't remember what happened for him to take 4th at his Regional(defaults?), but he hit a fellow freshman phenom in Andy Simmons 1st round.  He ended up losing 6-0, but he looked like he belonged on the mat with Andy and no one else in the state really did at that time.  He then ran through the bracket with relative ease, taking 3rd winning 20-5.

He was at Davison the following season and took 3rd again.  After that he was a straight up wrecking ball, going something like 110-0 his last 2 seasons.  He seemed a lot flashier than Brent and seemed to have a bit more pure speed.  Whereas Brent was methodical and punishing.

Both were amazing to watch at the High School level and were there at the start of Davison's dominant run.

Also, he did wrestle for UofM for 2 seasons, but as you can tell by the documentary, he just didn't have the focus by that point.

29 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I don’t think that’s quite right. We were the same age and Metcalf was always like Iowa persona on the mat. I remember him dropping a match to Johnstone at Jr. Duels and standing over him screaming at him to get up and wrestle. Crazy intensity. Off the mat, I hung out with the Iowa guys at the OTC, and he seemed like a bit of a goofball if anything. He was always a smart guy, carrying great GPAs in high school and college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well a better explanation is that his mom would call him out for his interviews and basically laugh at how "tough" he was in them.

Thought that was another excellent Flo film. Great job Flo!

I always tried to follow Brent's college career as much as possible as I thought he was "must see" wrestling. But Brent really won me over as a fan when I got to meet him at 2014 BTS in NYC. I was hanging out at the practice mat on the street level where it wasn't too crowded and next thing I know, I'm shaking hands with Tom Brands and talking to him one on one. Way cool! Then Brent Metcalf seemed to come out of nowhere right next to us and I was like, "whoa, Brent Metcalf". Got to shake his hand too and told him he's awesome. Then jokingly I asked Brent if he could beat Coach Brands and Metcalf promptly shook his head no. It was priceless.

Then Brent goes up on the big stage and beats Kurbanaliev in a barnburner. That night was one of my favorite wrestling memories, ever.

17 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Watched the first episode of "Metcalf" tonight.....personally, I think it's great.  Looking forward to episodes 2 and 3.                   

50376574153_143c6b8348_o_d.jpg

Is that Mark Hall in the picture with the two Metcalf brothers?

Generally speaking, you should avoid forming an opinion about someone based on a documentary or edited interview.  A good director or editor can make Stalin seem like the greatest guy in the world or Mother Teresa seem like the essence of evil. 

27 minutes ago, Henry said:

Generally speaking, you should avoid forming an opinion about someone based on a documentary or edited interview.  A good director or editor can make Stalin seem like the greatest guy in the world or Mother Teresa seem like the essence of evil. 

Couldn't agree more.  BM did and said some very questionable things during his 3-4 year stint in IA.  He beat some very special and extraordinary competitors during that time.  For example, they showed the end of that big 10 final against Schatter and IIRC Metcalf got the go ahead takedown very late and then decided to put his forearm in the back of Schlatter's skull.  Like why?  Awesome competitor in this awesome sport gave you all he had and you bettered him, but you need to do that?  Plenty of other examples like the way he spoke about Lance Palmer in interviews.  Forgot the unflattering term that Burroughs had for him in the docu but I would bet the mortgage it didn't come from a complimentary place.

That makes episode 2 and 3 intriguing to me.  Has BM learned and grown as a man since leaving that culture and how does he feel about "you have to be an a$$hole to be a good wrestler" that Tom Brands is famous for saying.  Has he transformed himself like Ramos or is that all still in his beliefs?  I really hope Flo asked some tough questions about that departure and philosophy.

The cool thing about PSU and Cael is that they have proven that logic to be very untrue.  It is OK to be a dominant wrestler and a good human simultaneously.   See JB as well.

58 minutes ago, Henry said:

actually Mother Teresa was pretty much the essence of evil, now that you mention it.  Regarding Stalin, rarely does one hear about how much he loved puppies and baby ducklings,  however I can't find a convenient link. Stalin was a former orthodox priest "trainee", btw. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988

excerpt: 

A 2013 study from the University of Ottawa dispelled the “myth of altruism and generosity” surrounding Mother Teresa, concluding that her hallowed image did not stand up to the facts, and was basically the result of a forceful media campaign from an ailing Catholic Church.

Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” Mother Teresa once told the unamused Christopher Hitchens.

Edited by TobusRex

31 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

actually Mother Teresa was pretty much the essence of evil, now that you mention it.  Regarding Stalin, rarely does one hear about how much he loved puppies and baby ducklings,  however I can't find a convenient link. Stalin was a former orthodox priest "trainee", btw. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988

excerpt: 

A 2013 study from the University of Ottawa dispelled the “myth of altruism and generosity” surrounding Mother Teresa, concluding that her hallowed image did not stand up to the facts, and was basically the result of a forceful media campaign from an ailing Catholic Church.

Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” Mother Teresa once told the unamused Christopher Hitchens.

The train is fine.

I remember after he won NCAA's as a senior and they asked him what he was going to do to celebrate, and he was just like, "Well, I am going to go run with my dogs and train, and watch TV/movies and focus on it instead of thinking about wrestling."  Then he said something like, "I'm not going to have 15 beers and eat an entire pizza, that's not the type of guy I am."  So after that, a couple friends of mine who were wrestling fans would call wolfing down an entire pizza after a night of heavy beer drinking, a "Metcalf", LOL.