fadzaev2

Flo's "Metcalf"

On 9/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, fadzaev2 said:

Watched the first episode of "Metcalf" tonight.....personally, I think it's great.  Looking forward to episodes 2 and 3.                   

50376574153_143c6b8348_o_d.jpg

Was this Hall’s true kindergarten year, or his RS kindergarten year?

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

actually Mother Teresa was pretty much the essence of evil, now that you mention it.  Regarding Stalin, rarely does one hear about how much he loved puppies and baby ducklings,  however I can't find a convenient link. Stalin was a former orthodox priest "trainee", btw. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988

excerpt: 

A 2013 study from the University of Ottawa dispelled the “myth of altruism and generosity” surrounding Mother Teresa, concluding that her hallowed image did not stand up to the facts, and was basically the result of a forceful media campaign from an ailing Catholic Church.

Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” Mother Teresa once told the unamused Christopher Hitchens.

You believe everything you read?

8 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Unless you actually met Mother Theresa, which I highly doubt, what other way did you learn about her?  Even in today's world of body cams, you get different perspectives from different cams simply because they aren't 360 degrees seeing clearly through every obstruction with zero distortion.  Simply put, your statement is why criminal law is beyond a reasonable doubt and inevitably why it is so hard to prove a capital crime.  Imagine being a juror deciding on if someone lives or dies and the glove doesn't fit.  If the glove doesnt' fit, you must acquit.  

With all of this new evidence maybe a better way of looking at it is that a skilled and effective documentary could make Mother Teresa look like a saint and Stalin look like a monster.

“Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death...”

So she lived in filth and squalor to abuse people?  Idiotic.  Truly “haters gotta hate” stuff.  If you can’t build yourself up, tear others down, especially if they're religious.

13 minutes ago, Sstern said:

“Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death...”

So she lived in filth and squalor to abuse people?  Idiotic.  Truly “haters gotta hate” stuff.  If you can’t build yourself up, tear others down, especially if they're religious.

LOL, what a gullible you are :D 

You should thank me for telling you the truth instead of hiding from it. 

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, Class said:

With all of this new evidence maybe a better way of looking at it is that a skilled and effective documentary could make Mother Teresa look like a saint and Stalin look like a monster.

You really think Stalin needs help to look like a monster? Do you think there are no videos of his horrendous deeds? 

I'm sure you can't trust the University of Ottawa..why that's just more mean old "liberal propaganda" about "Mother" Teresa, huh? An Albanian nun whose primary concern was converting Hindus on their death bed to Catholicism, not of healing the sick or providing a comfortable death. She LOVED TO SEE THEM SUFFER. Think about that. That demented old bag enjoyed hearing the screams of suffering. That sounds like something Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy could've gotten into, frankly. 

Edited by TobusRex

I commend Flo.  Very much enjoyed the first installment.  I’m impressed about the discussion about Chase .... touching and seemingly very transparent.  Looking forward to part 2!  Seem meaty topics.  If covered in a similar way, will be amazing.

That was really, really cool and interesting.  Really dug the insight into the Chase stuff and seeing Schlatter and Metcalf both talk about their rivalry...you could see it still fires both of them up.   

21 hours ago, Class said:

Couldn't agree more.  BM did and said some very questionable things during his 3-4 year stint in IA.  He beat some very special and extraordinary competitors during that time.  For example, they showed the end of that big 10 final against Schatter and IIRC Metcalf got the go ahead takedown very late and then decided to put his forearm in the back of Schlatter's skull.  Like why?  Awesome competitor in this awesome sport gave you all he had and you bettered him, but you need to do that?  Plenty of other examples like the way he spoke about Lance Palmer in interviews.  Forgot the unflattering term that Burroughs had for him in the docu but I would bet the mortgage it didn't come from a complimentary place.

That makes episode 2 and 3 intriguing to me.  Has BM learned and grown as a man since leaving that culture and how does he feel about "you have to be an a$$hole to be a good wrestler" that Tom Brands is famous for saying.  Has he transformed himself like Ramos or is that all still in his beliefs?  I really hope Flo asked some tough questions about that departure and philosophy.

The cool thing about PSU and Cael is that they have proven that logic to be very untrue.  It is OK to be a dominant wrestler and a good human simultaneously.   See JB as well.

Burroughs is always extremely complimentary of Metcalf, I'd be surprised if he was saying anything about him from a negative place.  Caldwell, yeah I'd imagine that's a bit more contentious.

The PSU stuff is just classic propaganda.  They're normal humans, too.  I've heard from a lot of people that they have their own share of assholes, and some really cool dudes (particular compliments have been paid to Cenzo and Mark Hall that I can remember right now).

Edited by VakAttack

Compelling stuff, well crafted piece.  

Listening to Metcalf talk, the line from Gable to Tom Brands to Metcalf is striking, lots of similarities in their manner of speaking and expressing themselves. And in each of their cases, when you get past the superficial simple plain speaking, you can see that each guy is highly intelligent and surprisingly introspective and complex in the way they analyze their relationships with other people.  

On 9/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, hammerlockthree said:

I hate to pile on, but Gilman has come a long way too. He used to say a lot of really stupid stuff, but he's backed off on that big time, and not just sense switching clubs.

They had been heavily influenced!

On 9/25/2020 at 1:16 PM, TobusRex said:

LOL, what a gullible you are :D 

You should thank me for telling you the truth instead of hiding from it. 

With every hate filled statement you prove my point.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

If I remember, Burroughs disliked Metcalf until they were on a World Team together.  Then he was pleasantly surprised that Metcalf was actually a pretty nice guy.

it always goes that way, wrestling humbles you so often that its hard to be a jerk and stay in the sport.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, VakAttack said:The PSU stuff is just classic propaganda.  They're normal humans, too.  I've heard from a lot of people that they have their own share of assholes

Yeah but at least they give you a hand up after pinning you in front of your girlfriend

Metcalf was an, ass buster, focused, dedicated and wanted to be the best.  That's just about everything anyone could ask for in an athlete.

I was surprised at the number of people who, after watching the video, decided they, "liked" him?  Maybe it was, "The Push?" Just seems like that's a lot of judgement in a few seconds of an outstanding career.

20 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Metcalf was an, ass buster, focused, dedicated and wanted to be the best.  That's just about everything anyone could ask for in an athlete.

I was surprised at the number of people who, after watching the video, decided they, "liked" him?  Maybe it was, "The Push?" Just seems like that's a lot of judgement in a few seconds of an outstanding career.

It was mostly because he was from Iowa. 

10 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It was mostly because he was from Iowa. 

Disagree, at the end of his career Metcalf got a bit dickier and dickier. Pushing guys out of bounds, pushing their heads down. That was partially why it was so awesome when Caldwell humbled him in the finals that year.  

On 9/25/2020 at 12:50 AM, Cementmixer103 said:

Dude you realize none of this is coming from like anti-jesus.com, right? These are literally the findings of an academic university conducted by Canadian researchers.

Also, I really hope you can see the irony you hitting someone with "do you believe everything you read???" when you are seemingly part of a religious group who lives their life based on the teachings of a book that says a lady got turned into a pillar of salt, dude lived inside a whale's stomach, people lived 500 years, a guy came back from the dead, etc, with nothing in the way of evidence.

I was raised in a devout Catholic family and it took me until I was an adult graduated from college to figure this **** out. You still have time, too. Use your brain, please.