fadzaev2

Flo's "Metcalf"

16 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Disagree, at the end of his career Metcalf got a bit dickier and dickier. Pushing guys out of bounds, pushing their heads down. That was partially why it was so awesome when Caldwell humbled him in the finals that year.  

Which has pretty much become, 'normal.'    

16 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Disagree, at the end of his career Metcalf got a bit dickier and dickier. Pushing guys out of bounds, pushing their heads down. That was partially why it was so awesome when Caldwell humbled him in the finals that year.  

You realize the Caldwell loss happened in his 2nd year of wrestling for Iowa?  Not exactly the "end" of his career.  And he flat out said in the first segment's preview of the next that it wasn't about being a "bad guy".  It was about perpetuating what his opponents already thought, which inevitably gave him his extra edge over nearly everyone.  Most of his top competition was in the B1G and NOONE wanted to wrestle him because they knew it was going to take an all out war from beginning to end to have a chance to beat him.  Hell, the best thing for Caldwell was NOT being in the B1G.  If he had to wrestle Metcalf 2-3 times per season, I absolutely believe it would have benefitted Metcalf.

Finally, the above is why I found so much respect for Lance Palmer at the end of his career.  He went from the guy that was "content" to lose by 6 or so, to the guy that WANTED to battle. All of a sudden he found a gas tank to get every bit as physical with Metcalf as Metcalf was with everyone.  Hell, you could even see he earned Metcalf's respect with how Metcalf wrestled him at the end.

57 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

The Iowa part includes the extracurriculars that you are mentioning.

39 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

You realize the Caldwell loss happened in his 2nd year of wrestling for Iowa?  Not exactly the "end" of his career.  And he flat out said in the first segment's preview of the next that it wasn't about being a "bad guy".  It was about perpetuating what his opponents already thought, which inevitably gave him his extra edge over nearly everyone.  Most of his top competition was in the B1G and NOONE wanted to wrestle him because they knew it was going to take an all out war from beginning to end to have a chance to beat him.  Hell, the best thing for Caldwell was NOT being in the B1G.  If he had to wrestle Metcalf 2-3 times per season, I absolutely believe it would have benefitted Metcalf.

Finally, the above is why I found so much respect for Lance Palmer at the end of his career.  He went from the guy that was "content" to lose by 6 or so, to the guy that WANTED to battle. All of a sudden he found a gas tank to get every bit as physical with Metcalf as Metcalf was with everyone.  Hell, you could even see he earned Metcalf's respect with how Metcalf wrestled him at the end.

It was his junior year, right about the time the antics increased.  I really don't care what it was about.  It made him come across like a jerk.  I'm a huge fan and always was but their is no doubt his reputation was earned.  It might have benefitted Metcalf to wrestle him more often but then again maybe not.  After all the last time they met Caldwell kicked his butt.    

5 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Correct. Caldwell was 2-0 v Metcalf in official bouts (WBF and 11-6).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You realize that in NO WAY disproves my point, right?  I especially like how we choose to ignore the All Star match like it didn't happen.  I am sure Caldwell just went to hang out with the guys............

6 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

the stuff you described came from somewhere.....he didn't invent it.

21 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I did enjoy Palmer beating Metcalf that one time, but it completely went to his head. I remember reading some pretty cocky comments from Palmer at the time that did not impress me much. 

One thing I always respected about Metcalf though, he was a goer. I don't think I ever saw him let up on the mat, even when he was beat. 

14 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I did enjoy Palmer beating Metcalf that one time, but it completely went to his head. I remember reading some pretty cocky comments from Palmer at the time that did not impress me much. 

One thing I always respected about Metcalf though, he was a goer. I don't think I ever saw him let up on the mat, even when he was beat. 

Exactly why I think he had a serious advantage over guys that had to wrestle him 2-3 times per season.  Very few guys show up to every match fully ready to go and that is why what Cael did was so incredibly impressive. Some of those Friday and then Saturday or Sunday dual weekends get considerably less than peak performances!

17 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

the stuff you described came from somewhere.....he didn't invent it.

There are plenty of Hawkeyes from his era that represented themselves well.  BM has some personal accountability for acting like a bully, tool and talking about himself in the 3rd person.  

On the flip side I have always thought of Cory Clark as a genuinely good dude.  

5 hours ago, Class said:

There are plenty of Hawkeyes from his era that represented themselves well.  BM has some personal accountability for acting like a bully, tool and talking about himself in the 3rd person.  

I can name a number of great guys that wrestled at different points in time for the Hawkeyes....lot's of good hawkeyes and some are good friends of mine.....I'll stop right there.

22 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Yes but he could have done the same thing at VT and I'd have felt the same way.  It had nothing to do with Iowa really.  

I'm not going to expound on this......I'll just let it go.

20 hours ago, Class said:

Not a Hawkeye fan per se, but I always liked Clark. He wasn't a punk like Gilman or a bully like BM. Don't know him personally but I'd say his "mat persona" was pretty blue collar, which I appreciate.

6 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Dumb question - is there a way to access flowrestling from my smart tv? Or do I have to watch these films on a computer/iphone?

The FloSports app is available on Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Roku. If you have a Flo subscription and can pull up one of those apps on your smart TV it shouldn't be too difficult. I've only used the Fire TV app and the most difficult thing was remembering my password. After that it worked pretty well imo.

Just watched episode 2. As a Hawk fan I really enjoyed it, but I thought it was missing something. IMO I think they failed to capture just how big of a phenomenon Brentcalf was as a polarizing figure in the wrestling landscape, how that influenced the Iowa brand, and the wrestling community as a whole. 

Not that this should be in the documentary too, but I believe it had an impact on wrestling which inevitably lead to the PSU counterculture. Whether these things are actually real in application or not, the image and branding of these characters has had an influence on fans perception of our sport.

I think there is a story there, but can't quite wrap my head around it. One thing is for sure, that collegiate wrestling has had defined eras of dominance and distinct differences in the cultures that produce them from Gable, to Jrobs Minnesota, to the OSU resurgance under Smitth, to Brands and finally Cael....now Im rambling.

Wow...if we all got judged for acting like a jerk a few times in our life none of us would be liked by anybody.  Some of you guys need to get over yourselves.  I have an utter dislike for Iowa...especially the way the Brands act...do I claim to know them as people and how they are like in their day to day life...absolutely not...do I dismiss the extremely great things they have accomplished and done for many many kids and for the great sport of wrestling...absolutely not.  I am sure overall they are great guys.  As for Metcalf...I hated what he did to Caldwell...and have no problem criticizing him for that...but did I or would I claim to know who he is as a person based on that...absolutely not!!  Great wrestler that accomplished more than 99.9999% of the people on this forum and I am sure is a stand up dude.

56 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Just watched episode 2. As a Hawk fan I really enjoyed it, but I thought it was missing something. IMO I think they failed to capture just how big of a phenomenon Brentcalf was as a polarizing figure in the wrestling landscape, how that influenced the Iowa brand, and the wrestling community as a whole. 

Not that this should be in the documentary too, but I believe it had an impact on wrestling which inevitably lead to the PSU counterculture. Whether these things are actually real in application or not, the image and branding of these characters has had an influence on fans perception of our sport.

I think there is a story there, but can't quite wrap my head around it. One thing is for sure, that collegiate wrestling has had defined eras of dominance and distinct differences in the cultures that produce them from Gable, to Jrobs Minnesota, to the OSU resurgance under Smitth, to Brands and finally Cael....now Im rambling.

I agree, though it's a hard thing to capture. I started wrestling right at the beginning of that era and the two names I knew were Metcalf and Gable in that order. I didn't even follow college wrestling yet. Ironically, my first Metcalf match was the 2009 final against Caldwell lol.

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Dumb question - is there a way to access flowrestling from my smart tv? Or do I have to watch these films on a computer/iphone?

On my smart TV, which is an LG, I can go to "screen share" mode which is in with the web, netflix, etc.   then I right click on my desktop, chose display settings then scroll to multiple displays, then click on connect to a wireless display, then select your TV if it is setup right.  Fadz

Ha...

I’ve backspaced several different “thoughts” after watching episode 2...

But...

suffice to say, I’ll never quit being amused at big tough wrestlers being so sensitive about having their head pushed down.. 

I just watched Metcalf 2, and I'm telling you, I watched AGAIN, maybe for the 30th time, the spladle at Lakewood St. Edwards, that Caldwell hit on Brent.....and I'm going to coin a Dan Gable quote that he yelled during NCAA finals match between Tom Ryan and Pat Smith in reference to maybe a takedown on the edge that may have been the difference in that match .....you have to read his lips, as waved his arms and yelled, "no way, no f________ way"!  I'm telling you ...no way that was a pin Calwell's body was between the mat and Brent's shoulders.  Brent hasn't discussed this in the first 2 episodes, but watch his reaction when the pin is called ....he can't believe it.  Then at the end of episode 2 when he mentions the "phantom" pin at St. Eds....wow.  At any rate, love this series...can't wait for number 3.  I might add too, that I know Brent very well, but I also have a great story of how I met Darrion Caldwell, and from what I got that day, he's a great guy too.  2 great ones!!!

Edited by fadzaev2

The mechanics of the referee in that match indicate he isn't fit for decent high school.  On second thought, Iowa v. NC State was assuredly a near walk-over in the mid 2000s, and the magnitude of that specific match would have been hard to project at the time.

Regardless, Caldwell would have been playing with a 5 point advantage had the fall not been called.  The match is an oddity that robs Caldwell of a chance at win that would garner appreciation from our community (like their finals match does) and is correctly trivialized as a blip on the radar by Brent as he reflects on his career.