fadzaev2

Flo's "Metcalf"

7 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

The mechanics of the referee in that match indicate he isn't fit for decent high school.  On second thought, Iowa v. NC State was assuredly a near walk-over in the mid 2000s, and the magnitude of that specific match would have been hard to project at the time.

Regardless, Caldwell would have been playing with a 5 point advantage had the fall not been called.  The match is an oddity that robs Caldwell of a chance at win that would garner appreciation from our community (like their finals match does) and is correctly trivialized as a blip on the radar by Brent as he reflects on his career.

I'm fairly certain that referee did a few DII and/or DIII nationals. I too am baffled by the "checking the shoulders" part. 

Here are his "comments" on the pin
http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/ask-the-ref.233955/post-4941261

Edited by BobDole

11 hours ago, BobDole said:

I'm fairly certain that referee did a few DII and/or DIII nationals. I too am baffled by the "checking the shoulders" part. 

Here are his "comments" on the pin
http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/ask-the-ref.233955/post-4941261

Thanks for sharing that.....he made a post after a similar comment by me, trying to convince me of the pin, or as Brent referred to it as ...."the Phantom pin".  Years ago I was coaching a good wrestler at NCAA's in the semi's.....the referee blew a call and cost our kid a chance at an NCAA title, which he might have won.  Later the referee pulled our kid aside, and at least admitted he missed the call....it was a bad call.....that I can live with ....it is what it is.  Now of course we have video review to cut down on mistakes....you can't take back a pin though.  Fadz

Edited by fadzaev2

On 9/28/2020 at 1:58 PM, MSU158 said:

Finally, the above is why I found so much respect for Lance Palmer at the end of his career.  He went from the guy that was "content" to lose by 6 or so, to the guy that WANTED to battle. All of a sudden he found a gas tank to get every bit as physical with Metcalf as Metcalf was with everyone.  Hell, you could even see he earned Metcalf's respect with how Metcalf wrestled him at the end.

One of the most shocking upsets I remember.  Watching your guy wrestle metcalf felt hopeless.  @headshuck knows.

22 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I just watched Metcalf 2, and I'm telling you, I watched AGAIN, maybe for the 30th time, the spladle at Lakewood St. Edwards, that Caldwell hit on Brent.....and I'm going to coin a Dan Gable quote that his yelled during NCAA finals match between Tom Ryan and Pat Smith in reference to maybe a takedown on the edge that may have been the difference in that match .....you have to read his lips, as waved his arms and yelled, "no way, no f________ way"!  I'm telling you ...no way that was a pin Calwell's body was between the mat and Brent's shoulders.  Brent hasn't discussed this in the first 2 episodes, but watch his reaction when the pin is called ....he can't believe it.  Then at the end of episode 2 when he mentions the "phantom" pin at St. Eds....wow.  At any rate, love this series...can't wait for number 3.  I might add too, that I know Brent very well, but I also have a great story of how I met Darrion Caldwell, and from what I got that day, he's a great guy too.  2 great ones!!!

Ah the nostalgia.  One of the hottest topics in TheMat.com history.

20 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

The match is an oddity that robs Caldwell of a chance at win that would garner appreciation from our community (like their finals match does) and is correctly trivialized as a blip on the radar by Brent as he reflects on his career.

My guess is Caldwell feels the same.

2 hours ago, madcat11 said:

One of the most shocking upsets I remember.  Watching your guy wrestle metcalf felt hopeless.  @headshuck knows.

I remember where I was because I texted one of our fellow posters for updates as I was on a family outing going airboating.  I couldn't even fathom it.  Then I saw the video, and it still btohers me to this day, lol.  I'm pretty sure that's the only TD Palmer ever got on Metcalf, and it was a counter off Metcalf's own shot.  That said, Palmer had clearly closed the gap their senior year and really made a big leap, he was super impressive that year.

12 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Thanks for sharing that.....he made a post after a similar comment by me, trying to convince me of the pin, or as Brent referred to it as ...."the Phantom pin".  Years ago I was coaching a good wrestler at NCAA's in the semi's.....the referee blew a call and cost our kid a chance at an NCAA title, which he might have won.  Later the referee pulled our kid aside, and at least admitted he missed the call....it was a bad call.....that I can live with ....it is what it is.  Now of course we have video review to cut down on mistakes....you can't take back a pin though.  Fadz

Earlier in the spladle would have been a way better time to call the pin with very little disagreement. The way he felt around for a pin was one of the weirder moments I have seen in DI reffing. He looked like the international ref when Simmons spladled his guy at worlds.

Episode 2 gets a meh for me.  Episode 1 was creative and teased around BM and his feelings on sensitive subjects a bit.

In #2 either they didn't get into the interesting roots of him playing to the IA culture, what he felt about 'the push' and people's perception of that and the VT saga or else they realized there was no drama or intrigue happening behind the curtain.  Either way the story suffers.

I mean cmon, all they got from BM on that subject was 'whistle to whistle'?!?!  That incident alone could have been 15 minutes of awesomeness if they pressed the guy.  Like after he said whistle to whistle I would film myself showing him the tape of the whistle blowing three times before the push occurred with a simple 'explain that'.  Who wouldn't want to see that?  What were people saying to him in the arena?  What did TB say to him?  Was Gable around?  What were his teammates thinking?  Who was petitioning him being DQ'd with all points forfeiting threatening the team title from IA?  Did BM know that and what did he think?  

I think the highlight of #2 is still the Dustin Schlatter rivalry aspect and all that went into that big 10 final.  

Has me less excited for #3 and guessing the IA split will be filled with a bunch of vanilla thoughts similar to the push.

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I remember where I was because I texted one of our fellow posters for updates as I was on a family outing going airboating.  I couldn't even fathom it.  Then I saw the video, and it still btohers me to this day, lol.  I'm pretty sure that's the only TD Palmer ever got on Metcalf, and it was a counter off Metcalf's own shot.  That said, Palmer had clearly closed the gap their senior year and really made a big leap, he was super impressive that year.

Palmer was clearly on a mission that year because of metcalf.  And it just felt like he did the impossible.

You weren't going to get the full answer from Dresser about the Virginia Tech situation and you weren't going to get a full answer on why Brent left.  Make no mistake, these coaches are damn near political figures.  Finger pointing isn't going to get them anywhere, whether you are right or wrong.

One thing I did like was the limited answer Brands gave.  He took responsibility.  He didn't go into great detail, but he took it on the chin.  A lot of respect for that, but there is definitely a lot more to it than either let on.  The way Brent answers you could just tell he was squirming for the political answer.  I think he is genuinely happy and has moved on, but I think he definitely still feels wronged by that situation.

Finally, it is good to see a guy that had a "win at all costs" persona, find peace with not getting there Internationally.  Even better, he put everything into perspective.  Blood is thicker than water.  Losing your closest family member, makes everything else in life trivial, in comparison.  He seems a stark contrast to Kolat and Terry Brands who still seem visibly wrecked by not reaching their highest goals.  Not to say both don't seem to be in a good place, but Metcalf's intensity made me think he would be just as torn as they both seemed to be.

not worth the view?

seriously?

not worth 33 minutes of your life watching a guy say he's just fine with not reaching what he spent the majority of his life striving for every day?

that the journey is indeed more important than the end result?

not worth the view???

the.mat.com strikes again...

7 hours ago, LJB said:

not worth the view?

seriously?

not worth 33 minutes of your life watching a guy say he's just fine with not reaching what he spent the majority of his life striving for every day?

that the journey is indeed more important than the end result?

not worth the view???

the.mat.com strikes again...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion......I think it cleared up a little on the VT/Iowa issue.....probably not totally.....not a big fan of the Brands, but I give Tom a lot of credit for taking some blame here, and saying 'I love Brent".  These guys will be going at it now on the mat as coaches maybe for a long time.  They sure didn't need to get carried away, create "bulletin board" material, etc.  It was easily worth the 33 minutes to me...and the whole thing was great for the sport.....could easily do it for other "great ones"

Can someone give a cliff’s notes on the whole timeline of everything?

So Metcalf was one of the recruits that left VT (or just decommitted?) when Brands did and Dresser was hired right?

Then Metcalf left his coaching job at Iowa to go to ISU with Dresser?

Small world...

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Can someone give a cliff’s notes on the whole timeline of everything?

So Metcalf was one of the recruits that left VT (or just decommitted?) when Brands did and Dresser was hired right?

Then Metcalf left his coaching job at Iowa to go to ISU with Dresser?

Small world...

I dont think Metcalf was on the Iowa staff.  He was coaching HS when he took the IA St job according to documentary. 

I haven't watched episode 3 yet, but just to jump in:  Metcalf had, as I recall, taken a high school position, then had switched to taking a position at USA Wrestling, then went to Iowa State.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

40 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I haven't watched episode 3 yet, but just to jump in:  Metcalf had, as I recall, taken a high school position, then had switched to taking a position at USA Wrestling, then went to Iowa State.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think he accepted the USA position, but hadn't officially started it when the ISU offer came up.

45 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I liked ep. 3, i wish however they went into the relationship Metcalf has with his wrestlers, especially Carr.  They seem to be pretty tight.  I would have liked to seen Carr interviewed. 

He was in the first episode.  It wasn't an in depth interview, but he did talk about some experiences.

48 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I dont think Metcalf was on the Iowa staff.  He was coaching HS when he took the IA St job according to documentary. 

Got ya.   Was he wrestling with HWC?