fadzaev2

Flo's "Metcalf"

I was surprised to see so many people didnt like episode 3. First of all, I thought JB's praise says a lot about Metcalf here. Second, I really appreciated Metcalfs perspective on the latter half of his career. I thought it was a good look into Brent Metcalf the man. He was always perceived to be this win at all cost @$$hole but I think it really came through that he is just a regular dude trying really hard to reach his goals and didnt quite get there. Is that just a result of some humbling? I think that is what you are left to ponder. I would say no. I think thats just who he was all along.

I still put it-

1. Ep. 1

2. Ep. 3

3. Ep. 2

I think they really missed the mark on episode 2 and it bothers me. The people that make these are apparently outside of the wrestling community? Because if you were around at that time, everyone knew how big of a deal Brentcalf was. Unfortunately, that was also the most interesting part of Metcalf's career and its probably a missed opportunity for Flo.

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Can someone give a cliff’s notes on the whole timeline of everything?

So Metcalf was one of the recruits that left VT (or just decommitted?) when Brands did and Dresser was hired right?

Then Metcalf left his coaching job at Iowa to go to ISU with Dresser?

Small world...

there were 4 or 5 guys that redshirted a year at VT, then, when Brands went to Iowa, the all followed, but VT wouldn't release them, so they lost a year of eligibility.

1 hour ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I think they really missed the mark on episode 2 and it bothers me. The people that make these are apparently outside of the wrestling community? Because if you were around at that time, everyone knew how big of a deal Brentcalf was. Unfortunately, that was also the most interesting part of Metcalf's career and its probably a missed opportunity for Flo.

Bader was heavily involved. He was definitely around the sport at the time. some of the folks that were a big part of the movie were not but Bader would be part of any decisions as to what gets covered and what doesn't. could be something like prohibitively expensive media rights or the filmakers just made choices you wouldn't've have agreed with. couldn't say as I wasn't involved in making the film, just saying wrestling people were involved. don't think the film would be possible without them. 

The problem is that the documentary genre is for bringing out behind-the-scenes stuff, which is inherently unflattering to someone(flattering stuff is the headline). 

Metcalf isn't gonna provide 80% of the content for a documentary that hurts his image, even though it would be way more interesting.

Edited by hammerlockthree

29 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Bader was heavily involved. He was definitely around the sport at the time. some of the folks that were a big part of the movie were not but Bader would be part of any decisions as to what gets covered and what doesn't. could be something like prohibitively expensive media rights or the filmakers just made choices you wouldn't've have agreed with. couldn't say as I wasn't involved in making the film, just saying wrestling people were involved. don't think the film would be possible without them. 

I get that. It also could be the time restraint of 30-40 minutes.