Jump to content
Bronco

Devin Schnupp ?

Recommended Posts

Penn State's starter at 125 lbs the last two seasons isn't even listed by WrestleStat on the Penn State roster.   Instead WrestleStat is projecting incoming true freshman Robbie Howard of Bergen Catholic H.S. as the starter for Penn State at 125 lbs.   Question is what's the deal with Schnupp?  He was listed on the Penn State roster last season as a Junior - and he was redshirted for the 2016-2017 season.   Did he graduate?  If there was news on this clearly I must have missed it completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Penn State's starter at 125 lbs the last two seasons isn't even listed by WrestleStat on the Penn State roster.   Instead WrestleStat is projecting incoming true freshman Robbie Howard of Bergen Catholic H.S. as the starter for Penn State at 125 lbs.   Question is what's the deal with Schnupp?  He was listed on the Penn State roster last season as a Junior - and he was redshirted for the 2016-2017 season.   Did he graduate?  If there was news on this clearly I must have missed it completely.

Brandon Meredith was the starter last year.

Maybe Schnupp graduated in four years and didn’t want to stick around for a fifth if he was going to be third on the depth chart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronco said:

Penn State's starter at 125 lbs the last two seasons isn't even listed by WrestleStat on the Penn State roster.   Instead WrestleStat is projecting incoming true freshman Robbie Howard of Bergen Catholic H.S. as the starter for Penn State at 125 lbs.   Question is what's the deal with Schnupp?  He was listed on the Penn State roster last season as a Junior - and he was redshirted for the 2016-2017 season.   Did he graduate?  If there was news on this clearly I must have missed it completely.

He graduated and moved on.l think  he was honored on senior night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Le duke said:


Brandon Meredith was the starter last year.

Maybe Schnupp graduated in four years and didn’t want to stick around for a fifth if he was going to be third on the depth chart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you're correct on that.  I was simply going by the bio page on the Penn State wrestling website which has this on Schnupp "Sophomore Devin Schnupp returns after starting the last two seasons for the Nittany Lions at 125 pounds."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronco said:

I'm sure you're correct on that.  I was simply going by the bio page on the Penn State wrestling website which has this on Schnupp "Sophomore Devin Schnupp returns after starting the last two seasons for the Nittany Lions at 125 pounds."

He finished his degree, Byers mentioned it on a broadcast at the end of last season and cael mentioned it and how’s guys like schnupp make championship teams in one of his local interviews at the end of last season 

And  Meridith will most likely be the starter again and Howard will redshirt this year, pretty sure he had to have his shoulder worked on after the season 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He finished his degree, Byers mentioned it on a broadcast at the end of last season and cael mentioned it and how’s guys like schnupp make championship teams in one of his local interviews at the end of last season 

And  Meridith will most likely be the starter again and Howard will redshirt this year, pretty sure he had to have his shoulder worked on after the season 

Meredith showed some moments of promise last season. I think Howard needs a redshirt. His folkstyle results were not commensurate with the freestyle success that earned him an elite recruiting ranking. I think he has the physical/mental tools, but needs some offensive development before he's folkstyle ready. He's in a good room for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Meredith showed some moments of promise last season. I think Howard needs a redshirt. His folkstyle results were not commensurate with the freestyle success that earned him an elite recruiting ranking. I think he has the physical/mental tools, but needs some offensive development before he's folkstyle ready. He's in a good room for it.

I mean the 2 guys he lost to last year will both more then likely be D1 AAs eventually and he avenged one of those loses at states. If he did go this year I think he would have a similar season to what Sammy Alvarez just had, Howard is already a high level scrambler by college standards like Alvarez but I think a year in that room just training would do him wonders 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to what I saw on Meredith on his WrestleStat results page he lost 12 of his last 13 matches last season (not counting a win for Penn State via forfeit vs Minnesota).  His one win in that stretch was a 3-2 win vs # 58 ranked Patrick McKee of Minnesota ( # 58 according to WrestleStat).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I mean the 2 guys he lost to last year will both more then likely be D1 AAs eventually and he avenged one of those loses at states. If he did go this year I think he would have a similar season to what Sammy Alvarez just had, Howard is already a high level scrambler by college standards like Alvarez but I think a year in that room just training would do him wonders 

I more or less agree, but I don't think people have R12ish type expectations for a guy with Howard's hype. I think he could be a killer after a redshirt to get healthy (shoulders always make me nervous which is another reason I think a redshirt is a good idea). 

Suriano had success right away despite a somewhat limited offensive output, but I don't think Howard has the positional capabilities that Suriano does. People are going to get to him and he's not going to scramble his way out consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

I mean the 2 guys he lost to last year will both more then likely be D1 AAs eventually and he avenged one of those loses at states. If he did go this year I think he would have a similar season to what Sammy Alvarez just had, Howard is already a high level scrambler by college standards like Alvarez but I think a year in that room just training would do him wonders 

Absolutely agree, but each year a little guy is out of HS it’s another year closer to the bump up to 133/ struggling with a big suck down to 125 every week as an upperclassmen. Definitely tough to ignore in the redshirt conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, uncle bernard said:

I more or less agree, but I don't think people have R12ish type expectations for a guy with Howard's hype. I think he could be a killer after a redshirt to get healthy (shoulders always make me nervous which is another reason I think a redshirt is a good idea). 

Suriano had success right away despite a somewhat limited offensive output, but I don't think Howard has the positional capabilities that Suriano does. People are going to get to him and he's not going to scramble his way out consistently.

Speaking of high level scramblers that didn’t redshirt, I’m surprised Antonio Mininno (who has beaten Howard and had some crazy scrambles against him...although I think Howard was a freshman when Mininno beat him) hasn’t done better in college.  

Coming full circle with this thread, he even got majored by Schnupp in 2019.  Shows how much different college wrestling is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Speaking of high level scramblers that didn’t redshirt, I’m surprised Antonio Mininno (who has beaten Howard and had some crazy scrambles against him...although I think Howard was a freshman when Mininno beat him) hasn’t done better in college.  

Coming full circle with this thread, he even got majored by Schnupp in 2019.  Shows how much different college wrestling is.

Mininno twin who had a similar career in high school And whose been sitting behind his brother the past 2 years is transferring to Liberty. As for Antonio the results have been ugly but he did earn an automatic bid to ncaas as the 7 seed at EIWAs last year, and I would imagine with a guy as tough as him that confidence has probably been a big factor in his lack of success so maybe then end of last season will be a jumpstart for him.

 

14 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Absolutely agree, but each year a little guy is out of HS it’s another year closer to the bump up to 133/ struggling with a big suck down to 125 every week as an upperclassmen. Definitely tough to ignore in the redshirt conversation.

He’s really not that big, he’s real short , and as of now 125 Isn’t a bad cut for him. 
weight wise I think he’s similar to Spencer Lee where people keep talking about the cut to 125 meanwhile both guys probably never weigh more then 137.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Speaking of high level scramblers that didn’t redshirt, I’m surprised Antonio Mininno (who has beaten Howard and had some crazy scrambles against him...although I think Howard was a freshman when Mininno beat him) hasn’t done better in college.  

Coming full circle with this thread, he even got majored by Schnupp in 2019.  Shows how much different college wrestling is.

I actually think Mininno and Howard are very similar stylistically and one reason I think Howard can use a redshirt. I think he's more talented than Mininno, but his "scrambling" is more flurrying/chain wrestling than actual leg attack defense. I just think he has some areas to develop before he's ready for college folkstyle, at least the level I think he's capable of. I have no doubt he'd be a qualifier out of the gate, but after a redshirt I think he could be a top 5 guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Mininno twin who had a similar career in high school And whose been sitting behind his brother the past 2 years is transferring to Liberty.

I hope he doesn't have a work-study job cleaning the pool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Speaking of high level scramblers that didn’t redshirt, I’m surprised Antonio Mininno (who has beaten Howard and had some crazy scrambles against him...although I think Howard was a freshman when Mininno beat him) hasn’t done better in college.  

Coming full circle with this thread, he even got majored by Schnupp in 2019.  Shows how much different college wrestling is.

Some kids get to college and you wonder if they ever learned how to tie their shoes growing up  or even set an alarm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...