Sign in to follow this  
Wrestleknownothing

HWC is getting in on the fun

Hawkeye Wrestling Club is going to stream their own event Nov. 1 on Track, The HWC Showdown Open.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPost.jsp?TIM=1600986853685&twSessionId=dgtbggvwmn&postId=867684135

It looks the bouts are already set (7 men's freestyle and 2 women's freestyle), but Track will build some buzz by releasing them beginning Monday (I assume not all at once).

A couple of observations:

1. It looks like NCAA wrestlers will participate. " Every corner features a contender at the NCAA, national, or international level."
  2. They make a point of saying proceeds will only go to post graduate wrestlers and the club.
  3. Payments will be for participation, performance, and a percent of the draw.
  4. Three times as expensive as the NLWC event for less than three quarters of the action (9 bouts vs 13 bouts) - and no incremental content(?)

It will be interesting to see if NLWC/Rokfin under-priced their event or if HWC/Track over-priced theirs.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

What a great time to be a fan.  $30 is certainly testing the limits of what these events are worth though.  The UM/PSU meet was loaded with stars and only $9.95.

Great to see these different streaming competitors put out a product.  With 4-5 now active perhaps we will see some best practices from each as they learn how to commentate, stream, fill dead air, transition from match to match, etc.

Odd name for this Hawkeye one though.  Why would you call this an 'Open'?

17 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Here's the online roster: https://www.hawkeyewrestlingclub.com/team/

9 names, all men. I don't expect several of them to compete. McDonough just moved back to the area. Maybe he'll lace em up again.

Thanks for posting, tough to ask people to pay $30 to watch that lot. Maybe they’ll have Spencer vs a big name to make it worth it. 

Lee and DeSanto could be huge draws.  The next set of guys would be on par with the intrigue of the recent NLWC card.  That would be Marinelli, Kemerer and Eirman.  Being an active NCAA wrestler gives an automatic interest boost.  After that—any current HWC members well that is another level down.  They will need to maximize everything to make the $30 worth it for fans not considering this a charitable fundraiser for the club.  

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

I believe that when you stream your event on track you (the owner of the event) set the price point. 

can you elaborate? Set what track charges? How does this relate to the proportion of the profit being sent to the organizers?

Very curious, my perspective on track was based on being a consumer, not an organizer.

9 hours ago, Class said:

What a great time to be a fan.  $30 is certainly testing the limits of what these events are worth though.  The UM/PSU meet was loaded with stars and only $9.95.

Great to see these different streaming competitors put out a product.  With 4-5 now active perhaps we will see some best practices from each as they learn how to commentate, stream, fill dead air, transition from match to match, etc.

Odd name for this Hawkeye one though.  Why would you call this an 'Open'?

The NLWC/CKWC event was only $10 but I believe it’s a monthly recurring subscription so if you forgot to cancel (like I always do) you will be charged monthly until you shut it off. This is a one time, one off event. 

also, I believe the “open” is a technicality that allows the wrestlers with remaining eligibility an opportunity to compete since its not an invitational but could be wrong.

4 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

The NLWC/CKWC event was only $10 but I believe it’s a monthly recurring subscription so if you forgot to cancel (like I always do) you will be charged monthly until you shut it off. This is a one time, one off event. 

also, I believe the “open” is a technicality that allows the wrestlers with remaining eligibility an opportunity to compete since its not an invitational but could be wrong.

With the monthly fee you also get other content beyond the event, whereas with the one time fee you only get t he one time event (I assume).

Oh, and wrestlinhgphish, don't forget to cancel your Rokfin subscription. The month is almost over.

The NLWC wasn't a one-off event though.

anyway - hammer - i know what you mean re: consumer.

I just meant that - from what I understand - the event owner sets the price that Track charges. what % goes to the event owner (HWC) and to Track, i'm not sure.

Another thing to think about, from the event owner's revenue standpoint - is if they get royalties or residuals - i.e. - do they continue to make money off the archives? 

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

can you elaborate? Set what track charges? How does this relate to the proportion of the profit being sent to the organizers?

Very curious, my perspective on track was based on being a consumer, not an organizer.

TrackWrestling charges a portion, per their website.

Trackcast fees are starting at 10% + $2.00 per subscriber and covers credit card processing, bandwidth, and the platform to deliver the video to your viewers.

There are also options if the event is considered a Gold+ event. The Gold+ is their subscription service that gets you a lot of events for one yearly fee(similar to Flo's model).

We basically have three companies with different models that are very different on how organizers make their money.

Flo- They pay you up front for your event a set amount.
Track- Based on subscriptions you acquire.
Rokin- Subscription that wants you to subscribe to a specific creator and kinda hopes you forget to cancel. The biggest difference in Rokfin is you are technically the producer and the other two have options to furnish the streaming setups.

All three have different advantages and disadvantages based on what you are trying to accomplish and your needs/wants.

3 hours ago, IronChef said:

So when's the next one? I am only interested in being part of a cryptocurrency scheme if I get regular live wrestling.

the crypto thing is both incredibly overplayed by this board already and also what makes the platform so attractive.

in short, you don't know what you're talking about. 

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

TrackWrestling charges a portion, per their website.

There are also options if the event is considered a Gold+ event. The Gold+ is their subscription service that gets you a lot of events for one yearly fee(similar to Flo's model).

We basically have three companies with different models that are very different on how organizers make their money.

Flo- They pay you up front for your event a set amount.
Track- Based on subscriptions you acquire.
Rokin- Subscription that wants you to subscribe to a specific creator and kinda hopes you forget to cancel. The biggest difference in Rokfin is you are technically the producer and the other two have options to furnish the streaming setups.

All three have different advantages and disadvantages based on what you are trying to accomplish and your needs/wants.

The only thing I'd say is that Track doesn't really do subscriptions right? Its all pay by event isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

the crypto thing is both incredibly overplayed by this board already and also what makes the platform so attractive.

in short, you don't know what you're talking about. 

Serious question.

I read the white paper on the coin and how it works. I get the theory. But every time I look at the pricing I see things like 24 hour high low of 0.75/0.59 (27% spread) or 7 day high low of 1.08/0.62 (76% spread). 

So the question is, how do they determine the exchange rate when paying you, and what has been your experience about slippage from that rate when you try to turn them back into dollars (assuming you have tried)?

8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

The only thing I'd say is that Track doesn't really do subscriptions right? Its all pay by event isn't it?

Yes and no

TrackWrestiing rolled out their Gold+ service about a year and a half ago. It includes all of their UWW, USAW, and a lot of other content. This is includes live and archived video for $129.95 a year. Event organizers can opt-in to this feature and then get a higher return on their stand alone subscriptions for their event. Here is the information on it including the events it includes.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/membership/GoldPlus.jsp

The other option is subscription only where the event organizer gets the amount previously stated for each subscription they sell.