Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Cal State Bakersifield head wrestling coach resigns

I remember about 6 years ago that former Boise State NCAA champion Ben Cherrington did something similar as the head coach of Northern Colorado - to pursue an opportunity outside of wrestling.   Perhaps Rivera has an opportunity available to him that simply makes more financial sense than to stay where he's been at the last four years.

I also have a suggestion for CSUB as far as a replacement:

https://cmumavericks.com/sports/wrestling/roster/coaches/mike-mendoza/2305

From 2002-2016 Mendoza spent time as either an assistant or the head coach at CSU Bakersfield, his alma mater.  He got shamefully screwed after accepting the head coaching job at Boise State after only 1 season there.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Bronco said:

I remember about 6 years ago that former Boise State NCAA champion Ben Cherrington did something similar as the head coach of Northern Colorado - to pursue an opportunity outside of wrestling.   Perhaps Rivera has an opportunity available to him that simply makes more financial sense than to stay where he's been at the last four years.

I also have a suggestion for CSUB as far as a replacement:

https://cmumavericks.com/sports/wrestling/roster/coaches/mike-mendoza/2305

From 2002-2016 Mendoza spent time as either an assistant or the head coach at CSU Bakersfield, his alma mater.  He got shamefully screwed after accepting the head coaching job at Boise State after only 1 season there.

After getting screwed once by CSU Bakersfield would he really want to go back for a possible round 2? 

Screwed by CSU Bakersfield????   How so?  The one who did the "screwing" was my alma mater BOISE STATE.   They hired him to replace Greg Randall.  Mendoza was the head coach at Boise State for ONE year.  The school President of Boise State (Bob Kustra) assured him and the Boise State wrestling team that they had NO intention of cutting the wrestling program on NUMEROUS occasions.   Then - while the wrestling coaches were hosting a number of recruits on campus - the A.D. walked in and told them the wrestling program was being cut just days after that season had ended.   And then the liar and coward that is Bob Kustra resigned several months later.   They cut the wrestling program in order to add Baseball.   The baseball team at Boise State lasted a grand total of about 20 games and then they cut the Baseball program as well.

I would think Mendoza would literally jump at the chance to return to his alma mater.  He never got screwed by CSUB.   He only left his alma mater because he believed the lies that Bob Kustra told him and because he thought the opportunity to coach at Boise State was too good to pass up.

Mendoza is hellbent on coaching.  After the debacle in Boise, he did a couple year stint at a JC in the middle of nowhere before landing at DII Colorado Mesa, which is on the edge of nowhere.  I hope he gets what he wants because he is a hardworking dude.

Edited by Plasmodium

On 9/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, Bronco said:

Screwed by CSU Bakersfield????   How so?  The one who did the "screwing" was my alma mater BOISE STATE.   They hired him to replace Greg Randall.  Mendoza was the head coach at Boise State for ONE year.  The school President of Boise State (Bob Kustra) assured him and the Boise State wrestling team that they had NO intention of cutting the wrestling program on NUMEROUS occasions.   Then - while the wrestling coaches were hosting a number of recruits on campus - the A.D. walked in and told them the wrestling program was being cut just days after that season had ended.   And then the liar and coward that is Bob Kustra resigned several months later.   They cut the wrestling program in order to add Baseball.   The baseball team at Boise State lasted a grand total of about 20 games and then they cut the Baseball program as well.

I would think Mendoza would literally jump at the chance to return to his alma mater.  He never got screwed by CSUB.   He only left his alma mater because he believed the lies that Bob Kustra told him and because he thought the opportunity to coach at Boise State was too good to pass up.

I misunderstood, I thought he was screwed in Bakersfield which is why he took the Boise State job.