Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Still no change

It's now roughly 1 month from the time of year when NCAA Div I wrestling normally begins yet there is still no change among the six PAC-12 wrestling programs as far as updating their wrestling team rosters for the 2020-2021 season.  Arizona State, CSU Bakersfield, Little Rock and Stanford have all updated their rosters.   Cal Poly and Oregon State still have not updated their rosters for the upcoming season. 

And none of the six schools have released their schedule for the upcoming season.

Edited by Bronco

Covid puts the schedule in limbo. Hard to say what tournaments are still on and which are not. Some may switch dates to later in the season. 
OSU just started classes September 23rd  so you will never get an early roster until enrollment is official. It’s been that way for awhile. 

It's usually pretty crappy anyway year by year.   This year just adds to the dumpster fire.   The uncertainty of how the wrestling season is going to be complicates things with a lot of schools except the NAIA going to a January start.   I think the slow release of schedules usually is a shot in the foot to our sport,  but this year I'd give them slack.   Rosters however...School has been going on at most places for over a month.  I'd be pushing to see how to add my roster if I was a coach at a DI,  because obviously the SID isn't doing a bang up job. 

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

It's usually pretty crappy anyway year by year.   This year just adds to the dumpster fire.   The uncertainty of how the wrestling season is going to be complicates things with a lot of schools except the NAIA going to a January start.   I think the slow release of schedules usually is a shot in the foot to our sport,  but this year I'd give them slack.   Rosters however...School has been going on at most places for over a month.  I'd be pushing to see how to add my roster if I was a coach at a DI,  because obviously the SID isn't doing a bang up job. 

Or they are overworked and understaffed. Maybe the SID department folks took a hit with furloughs and layoffs. Possibly so the schools could still have a bloated admin roster instead.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:50 AM, Downtown Brown said:

Or they are overworked and understaffed. Maybe the SID department folks took a hit with furloughs and layoffs. Possibly so the schools could still have a bloated admin roster instead.

Then as a dam coach,  promote your team and get the information on how to do it.  Anymore most programs even at smaller levels give the athletes a fillable link.  They submit, and it automatically loads.  Then it's one click approval to make it live.   I get there are cuts (it's everywhere...I freaking work in public health and we have huge department cuts, unless you are in COVID19 or Disaster Preparedness).   But,  at some point,  you owe it to your fan base, and the parents of the wrestlers you recruited to have a roster up.   

I was speaking with a D3 coach recently and he told me that his conference has made the decision on the conference schedule to go from January to February. His school tells him this will be his entire season, before the post season. That sucks! 

On 10/10/2020 at 1:24 AM, Swayz said:

Then as a dam coach,  promote your team and get the information on how to do it.  Anymore most programs even at smaller levels give the athletes a fillable link.  They submit, and it automatically loads.  Then it's one click approval to make it live.   I get there are cuts (it's everywhere...I freaking work in public health and we have huge department cuts, unless you are in COVID19 or Disaster Preparedness).   But,  at some point,  you owe it to your fan base, and the parents of the wrestlers you recruited to have a roster up.   

Not always that simple as many SIDs cover multiple sports and to update the back-end of a website with a current roster (when many coaches haven't made cuts or evaluated their team due to Covid) it falls to the back of the to-do list. 

There's a ton of time consumption for SIDs having to squeeze every possible ounce of positivity in the current sports world. 

Lastly, many schools are cutting additional staff and merging duties to existing staff. It's tough out there and for the amount of coverage that schools gave to their current and even post graduate athletes for Senior Nationals was pretty cool imo. Even if it was just for a weekend. 

On 10/10/2020 at 1:24 AM, Swayz said:

FOOTBALL: Brock Linde named interim head coach at Beaver Dam | Football |  wiscnews.com

On 10/10/2020 at 12:08 PM, TexRef said:

I was speaking with a D3 coach recently and he told me that his conference has made the decision on the conference schedule to go from January to February. His school tells him this will be his entire season, before the post season. That sucks! 

Yikes...so no postseason for that school?  I hope recruits are being told!

On 10/12/2020 at 9:39 AM, Swayz said:

Yikes...so no postseason for that school?  I hope recruits are being told!

Yes the kids were all told and the number of kids on the team dropped considerably. It is a sad state of affairs.