Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Dake-Taylor observations (long read)

I just want to start out by talking about my respect and admiration for both guys for this match. Dake didn't have to go up to 165 looking for this challenge. He had an easier road at 157. Taylor didn't have to stay at this weight against maybe the only guy who really had a shot to beat him, he could have probably gone up and won 174. So great job both guys. This version of the match was well wrestled, lots of fun action, and really lived up to the hype for me. I wanted to wait a day and rewatch it so I could separate from the adrenaline of the match, and now I have. Now onto the observations:

1. Taylor's first TD was slick and surprising. We know Taylor loves to use that ankle pick, but he'd had next to zero success at even really threatening with it. HEre he got in right away and finished quickly. It was really a beautiful TD. He would also threaten again later in the match, though without getting the TD.

2. After the TD they went off the mat, and Taylor pretty clearly gave Dake a little help in getting out of bounds, if you know what I mean. Now I have no problem with this, and I think it was Taylor trying to establish a mental advantage he lost in their previous meetings. I just wanted to point this out because this is the type of thing that gets Iowa kids attacked on here. Unfortunately for Taylor, it just seemed to piss Dake off.

3. The reversal/escape was a very close call, but I think the refs got it right by saying escape only. Taylor's far leg was under his body, but Dake wasn't really controlling Taylor's hips or that leg, and then Taylor pulled it out. That said, the move itself was sheer athleticism and physical strength, and was really impressive to watch. I jumped out of my seat when he grabbed him.

4. Dake's TD with about 30 seconds to go was a testament to Dake's skill, as opposed to the athleticism on display in the escape/reversal situation in # 3. Dake was pulling and handfighting hard, working Taylor to where Dake had a clear angle, and then Dake pounced like a jungle cat.

5. The finish on that TD was partially the fault of Taylor. Part of Taylor's dominance is constant motion. ONce Dake was in deep, Taylor grabbed an ankle and seemed to be looking for a stalemate, rather than working through the position in active defense. Dake, meanwhile, methodically wrestled his way through the position in impressive fashion, and finished. Obviously the fact that it was late in the period and Dake was able to avoid giving up an escape was a key for the match result.

6. Dake chose down and was out really quickly, a big difference from the first two matches where Taylor was able to ride Dake effectively. A strong adjustment by Dake.

7. In the second period, Taylor again was in deep on that ankle pick, but instead of finishing quickly, Dake was able to maintain position for a second longer, forcing Taylor to try to finish in a different way. Taylor was in incredibly deep, and it's a testament to Dake's seemingly supernatural ability to avoid the TD that we've seen time and again (most memorably to me in his final against Marion where I thought he was going to get pinned, but instead got the TD) that he wasn't taken down. At this point is when it looked, to me, that Taylor lost a little bit of his heart for the match.

8. Now, the final key to the match: Dake's uber manly ride. I have to say, the kid has no fear. He was CONSTANTLY pulling Taylor right over the top of him as Dake rolled over his own back, which is insanely dangerous with someone as scrambly as Taylor. Indeed, Taylor had even reversed Dake earlier in the year at the Scuffle, making me appreciate even more the fearlessness of the decision. SOme of have noted the shift in styles away from Dake's typcially thunderous mat returns to the drag down style. A safer route probably would have been forward pressure, but that shows why Dake is 4 time national champion and I am a jabronie posting about him on the internet. In their first two matches, Dake hadn't really been able to ride Taylor effectively at all. Bravo, sir.

9. The stall call during the ride was ridiculous and bogus. Just a ref trying to get himself involved in the match.

10. It was funny to hear TIm Johnson talk about how there were no stall calls against Dake when he had just literally 10 seconds ago been railing about the ridiculous stall call against Dake.

Again, that was just an incredible match and incredible guts by both guys committing to this and it really felt special. Great job.

I like your comments but if you think Taylor would "likely" win D1's after bumping to 74 then you picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

He would have easily won it. Don't forget that Evans began the year at 165, and we all know what a Taylor vs Evans match looks like.

The stall call I wouldn't say was 100% bogus. Dake was riding that high half with intent to keep Taylor down and not turn him - so getting hit with it after such a long ride wasn't all that crazy. Although if the roles were reversed Taylor does the same - so who knows really. By the standard that they call stalling in NCAA today I don't think Dake was stalling there - by normal standards maybe he was - although I think he did it effectively enough to not get called at all.

Dake flat out deserved the win. I really, realllyyyy, though Taylor was going to do it the way he came out (especially after his post-semis interview comments!!). But there is a reason Kyle Dake accomplished what he did - even giving up the first TD in such a huge match to such a solid opponent didn't phase him. The kid is a winner and the definition of a Champion - I am going to miss watching his boring defensive style of dominance!! :D

I like your comments but if you think Taylor would "likely" win D1's after bumping to 74 then you picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

He would have easily won it. Don't forget that Evans began the year at 165, and we all know what a Taylor vs Evans match looks like.

Well reasoned. Where did Evans finish?

Why exactly would Taylor not have been "likely" to win?

I don't even want an answer because it will derail the thread. I just want you to consider that. He is a clear favorite at 174 if he went up - hence making him "likely" to win.

Why exactly would Taylor not have been "likely" to win?

I don't even want an answer because it will derail the thread. I just want you to consider that. He is a clear favorite at 174 if he went up - hence making him "likely" to win.

Ok

Well reasoned. Where did Evans finish?

you know darn well he was right there with the top guys and would have place much higher if he wasn't injured. If he wrestled Brown 5 times, I think he'd win 3 or 4.

Good post. Pretty much agree on all counts. I do think Taylor would be favored at 174. But I can't really give him credit for not going up. I mean, how cowardly would it be if you were an undefeated Hodge winner and you bump up to avoid someone especially when that person was clearly looking for you.

Good post. Pretty much agree on all counts. I do think Taylor would be favored at 174. But I can't really give him credit for not going up. I mean, how cowardly would it be if you were an undefeated Hodge winner and you bump up to avoid someone especially when that person was clearly looking for you.

No doubt. No way Taylor would have ever gone up because of Dake. I agree with others though; clear cut favorite as 174! Likely a major over any of them.

and kudos to Tim Johnson for keeping the "shoelaces up" jargon alive, in Jim Gibbons' absence

I have no dog in the Taylor v Perry hypothetical match, but I'd bet heavily on Taylor.

Speaking of, he seems tall and rangy, maybe still growing.... wonder if he'll be at 174 next year. Seems like that could create a bottleneck at PSU. Could have Taylor, Brown, Ruth, and McIntosh all vying for 3 spots. Wonder how that would work out.

I've banned myself from these forums but I thought some of the CU fans might enjoy these pictures. It might shed some light as to whether Dake is stalling or not with the half ride. It looks to me like he is throwing Taylor to his neck/back each time. At any, I apologize for my rude entry and now humbly exit.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 988&type=1

The stall call was bogus because they hadn't been calling it like that all tournament, including in the finals. Look at Maple and St. John's rides. How many times did they get hit for stalling? Maybe once, and they were far more blatant examples of stalling. But second, Dake was returning Taylor to the mat immediately, and into a risky crab ride position, which actually has a threat of nearfall involved in that position. So it's not fair to say Dake wasn't trying to turn Taylor, because with a crab ride, often the mat returns are the most likely situation to create nearfall (or reversals, which is why this was so ballsy). But to call that for stalling is basically the ref saying "I will call anything you do on top to be stalling unless you just cut him."

Clearly if David Taylor had started the year pointing and wrestling at 174 he would've been the favorite. Nobody will ever know how he would've finished....but clearly he's the favorite. Great post by the original poster. Great respect for both Dake and Taylor...two of the best in college history.

One of the things that was satisfying for me about the Taylor - Dake folkstyle trilogy was that it answered all my questions. After the All-Star match I was left with the impression that "if only" Taylor could get the lead he would force Dake to become more offensive and potentially expose himself, take risk, and give up some of his stellar defense. After the Scuffle matchup I was left with questions about the quick two awarded to Dake for the Merkel he hit going out of bounds or the escape that wasn't awarded at the end for Taylor. At NCAAs we saw a true champion with Kyle Dake. When I saw Taylor with the quick takedown I thought now that is what we've come to expect from Taylor. Dake gets the quick escape and a takedown of his own to "retake" the lead at the end of the 1st period. That's how you come from behind and win matches at that level. The rest was quintessential Dake with advantage RT and control.

As a Taylor fan I have no more questions, and that's satisfying.

The stall call I wouldn't say was 100% bogus. Dake was riding that high half with intent to keep Taylor down and not turn him - so getting hit with it after such a long ride wasn't all that crazy. Although if the roles were reversed Taylor does the same - so who knows really. By the standard that they call stalling in NCAA today I don't think Dake was stalling there - by normal standards maybe he was - although I think he did it effectively enough to not get called at all.

Dake flat out deserved the win. I really, realllyyyy, though Taylor was going to do it the way he came out (especially after his post-semis interview comments!!). But there is a reason Kyle Dake accomplished what he did - even giving up the first TD in such a huge match to such a solid opponent didn't phase him. The kid is a winner and the definition of a Champion - I am going to miss watching his boring defensive style of dominance!! :D

Thank you.

VAK:

Great Points and nice analysis.

On the DAKE TD:

He shot it to Taylor's trail leg. DT usually only lets guys in on his right leg and obviously defends his right leg extremely well. He struggled with Dake on his left leg and Dake converted easily if you ask me.

Wonder if it is something Dake had semi planned.

Reversal Review:

Helped Dake settle down a bit and regain control of the emotions.

Could've been two but the one was appropriate.

DT AT 174:

Champion, no doubt.

Pound for pound, 1. Dake 2/3. Taylor/Ruth 4. Stieber

Anyone that sees anything else isn't watching

Pound for pound, 1. Dake 2/3. Taylor/Ruth 4. Stieber

Anyone that sees anything else isn't watching

Ehh I gotta say that Stieber kid is pretty good!

Im as big a DT fan as there is - but I dont have a problem making it Ruth/Taylor/Stieber in any order you wish - they are all on the same level it seems.

Also:

Both are Quality young men.

Dake: I have known Kyle since he was in 8th grade and have seen him in many different arenas of the sport. He always has time for everyone and gives back. When he does clinics and camps you'll frequently find him wrestling around with little kids and flat out having a good time.

Taylor: Don't know him personally. Saturday morning he had little reason to be in the arena after weigh ins (No PSU in the medal matches that AM). I saw him on the concourse and watched him for a bit. He was signing autographs and giving a bunch of little kids hand shakes and conversations. General fans coming up to him telling him good luck and he was shaking hands non stop.

Eerie to me how alike they are.

Vak: Great analysis, thanks for all of that!

On the DAKE TD:

He shot it to Taylor's trail leg. DT usually only lets guys in on his right leg and obviously defends his right leg extremely well. He struggled with Dake on his left leg and Dake converted easily if you ask me.

Wonder if it is something Dake had semi planned.

I remember last season at the EIWA finals, there was a beautiful sequence by Dake that resulted in a takedown right at the end of the period, no time for Peppelman to even try for an escape. It looked as if the timing and the shot had to be preplanned, and I asked Koll later if that particular sequence had been scripted. His response: "EVERYTHING is scripted!" ;)

7. In the second period, Taylor again was in deep on that ankle pick, but instead of finishing quickly, Dake was able to maintain position for a second longer, forcing Taylor to try to finish in a different way. Taylor was in incredibly deep, and it's a testament to Dake's seemingly supernatural ability to avoid the TD that we've seen time and again (most memorably to me in his final against Marion where I thought he was going to get pinned, but instead got the TD) that he wasn't taken down. At this point is when it looked, to me, that Taylor lost a little bit of his heart for the match.

On the missed takedown opportunity, I told my son during the match that Taylor would have finished that shot on a mere mortal! Crazy how Dake can avoid a lot of takedowns with his athleticism.

One of the things that was satisfying for me about the Taylor - Dake folkstyle trilogy was that it answered all my questions. After the All-Star match I was left with the impression that "if only" Taylor could get the lead he would force Dake to become more offensive and potentially expose himself, take risk, and give up some of his stellar defense. After the Scuffle matchup I was left with questions about the quick two awarded to Dake for the Merkel he hit going out of bounds or the escape that wasn't awarded at the end for Taylor. At NCAAs we saw a true champion with Kyle Dake. When I saw Taylor with the quick takedown I thought now that is what we've come to expect from Taylor. Dake gets the quick escape and a takedown of his own to "retake" the lead at the end of the 1st period. That's how you come from behind and win matches at that level. The rest was quintessential Dake with advantage RT and control.

As a Taylor fan I have no more questions, and that's satisfying.

This. When the other guy can beat you fair and square you have to respect that.

Anyone else think Dake would have pinned DT had the escape (reversal) occurred center as opposed to edge?

Dake had to hold back momentum because of location of action in my opinion.

Come on...he didn't even have a pinning combination (cradle in this case) locked in...and now he would have pinned him if it was in the center?

No chance. Same thing happens most likely - maybe he gets a reversal because he has the option of spinning behind and staying in bounds...but a pin? No.