CA_Wrestler

Zahid vs Burroughs

Wow this is a great match up! Props to Flo for getting this lined up... they needed some bigger names than they were able to get for the 195 bracket. I think it was a good idea to go to different weight classes to get the top names to agree. Obviously, Burroughs isn’t going to do a match with Dake or IMar. But finding wrestlers that are a weight apart but not too far off in size/skill is a great idea. I could see Taylor vs. Cox happening for the next event.

18 minutes ago, Maximus Meridius said:

The article says “the bout will take place at a catch weigh between 74 and 86 kg.”

Ah, ok.  That would make more sense.  I'm sure Burroughs is closer to 79 kg and Zahid was wrestling at 79kg in senior events.

Edited by CA_Wrestler
typo

15 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

We need creative matches like this. I like it because the outcome isn’t a gimme because of the weight different. Compare to Lee vs Sanders. It will be be nice to see Les compete and all but even if he loses it won’t be exciting. I’d rather see Lee va Yianni or Bo Nickals vs Gable. 

Definitely agree on Lee.  We need to see him against someone from a different weight class for it to be interesting, and judging from his slaying of the 57kg weight class, it probably does need to be 2-3 weight classes higher lol.  

I'm hoping with no cutting, we see some vintage explosive takedowns from Burroughs and really hoping it's a shoot out like JB vs. Taylor at the 2014 Open. 

1 hour ago, misterc said:

Definitely agree on Lee.  We need to see him against someone from a different weight class for it to be interesting, and judging from his slaying of the 57kg weight class, it probably does need to be 2-3 weight classes higher lol.  

I'm hoping with no cutting, we see some vintage explosive takedowns from Burroughs and really hoping it's a shoot out like JB vs. Taylor at the 2014 Open. 

You think Spencer would be competitive against Zane, JO, and Yianni at 65kg?

I agree with you that he could beat anyone at 61kg, but I think the top guys at 65kg would be too strong and have too much length.

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

You think Spencer would be competitive against Zane, JO, and Yianni at 65kg?

I agree with you that he could beat anyone at 61kg, but I think the top guys at 65kg would be too strong and have too much length.

No, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I agree with you, the top 65kg guys are going to be too much.  

Edited by misterc

Do you guys think we'll see the back and forth jawing and promotion from these two as we did with Dake/Chamizo (Dake plays the heel so well)?  Zahid seems like too nice a kid and JB probably doesn't want to tarnish his image. 

Maybe we see a good ol "polite fight", lol. 

Edited by misterc

On 10/4/2020 at 2:47 AM, CA_Wrestler said:

Ah, ok.  That would make more sense.  I'm sure Burroughs is closer to 79 kg and Zahid was wrestling at 79kg in senior events.

This is a good point.  Furthermore, if Dake beats Burroughs to make the Olympic Team at 74, this (Burroughs vs. Valencia) is going to be the wrestle-off to make the US team for the "consolation" world championships at the non-Olympic weight of 79kg.

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

This is a good point.  Furthermore, if Dake beats Burroughs to make the Olympic Team at 74, this (Burroughs vs. Valencia) is going to be the wrestle-off to make the US team for the "consolation" world championships at the non-Olympic weight of 79kg.

James Green would probably be in the mix there as well as the other guys who don't get the 74kg spot.  Should be really interesting.

7 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

James Green would probably be in the mix there as well as the other guys who don't get the 74kg spot.  Should be really interesting.

Dieringer, Hall, and IMart also would having something to say as well.

41 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I don't see how Ringer makes 74 unless he's been really shrinking his body.

The response was to the wrestleoff being forr79 keggers not 74.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Dieringer, Hall, and IMart also would having something to say as well.

None of these three will make the finals over Burroughs.  I would pick Zahid over them as well, although I admit that it would be really competitive.

32 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

None of these three will make the finals over Burroughs.  I would pick Zahid over them as well, although I admit that it would be really competitive.

Two of the three have beaten him multiple times within the last 2-3 years.  Neither of them, if they wish to include themselves in the conversation, are going to lay down for him.  Neither would IMart.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, BigTimeFan said:

We need creative matches like this. I like it because the outcome isn’t a gimme because of the weight different. Compare to Lee vs Sanders. It will be be nice to see Les compete and all but even if he loses it won’t be exciting. I’d rather see Lee va Yianni or Bo Nickals vs Gable. 

Lee vs any of the top 61 kg guys (Graff, Colon, Gross, etc.) would have been really interesting.  I think all of those could have gone either way.

Sanders did hit a pretty nice arm throw for 4 against Ramos once.  Doubt he can do anything like that against Lee though.