Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Greg Strobel

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I heard Coach passed away today but can’t find exactly how. Anyone hear?  Good good man. Brought me in to foxcatcher years back. Huge loss. RIP Coach. 

We haven't heard anything specific yet.

**** It is hard to comprehend.  Greg was so many things to so many people.  Any attempt to describe him will come up short.  I often recall the many times we played golf.  He was "real" in every way, no pretense, no excuses.  First and foremost I considered him a friend.  We have lost a great man.  Rest In Peace Friend.

I was VERY sadden of Coach's passing. (VERY surprised on how sudden it was as well.)

imho, he made most young men that he coached, BETTER PEOPLE after his influence.

We will surely miss him at the matches at Grace Hall. Things will be a bit different, with Greg gone. :-(

D3

Great guy.  I only met him briefly once, but there was a time I reached out to him about a technical issue.  A very good wrestler of mine lost a match to an opponent whom I believed was basically inferior,,, but had a tricky crab ride.  My guy, a heavy favorite,  lost by 6 points or so at a Christmas tournament.  I reached out to a number of people about how to solve the crab ride problem.  Coach Strobel answered, gave some good advice, and my guy turned the tables winning by major in the state semi.  Basically a 14 point swing.  It was very humbling and said a lot about him as a person, that he was willing to write an email to help out a total stranger.

RIP 

9 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Great guy.  I only met him briefly once, but there was a time I reached out to him about a technical issue.  A very good wrestler of mine lost a match to an opponent whom I believed was basically inferior,,, but had a tricky crab ride.  My guy, a heavy favorite,  lost by 6 points or so at a Christmas tournament.  I reached out to a number of people about how to solve the crab ride problem.  Coach Strobel answered, gave some good advice, and my guy turned the tables winning by major in the state semi.  Basically a 14 point swing.  It was very humbling and said a lot about him as a person, that he was willing to write an email to help out a total stranger.

RIP 

Great story. Can't think of any other sport where you could do that successfully (I'll try writing Nick Saban about a pass formation this weekend).

40 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Interesting from Kerry MCoy, who was close to Strobel.  Not sure what it means other than your never know how long someone will be around.  RIP Coach Strobel. 

I'm interpreting Kerry's post as suggesting you never know when someone may pass.  Weird week for me... in addition to Strobel (whom I didn't really know), there are two people from my life who also died suddenly in the past week... one from my HS that died suddenly at age 56, and a very active, athletic 50-year old who had a stroke.  You just never know - particularly in these times.

I could not believe the news of his passing;  68 isn't that old. He had his prostrate removed a few years ago, so I don't know if it is related to his death. Anyone who got to know Greg knows that he was a man of integrity. He certainly lived a full life; I remember his describing how thrilling a bungie jump was in New Zealand from a incredible height. People forget how tough he was; he rolled around with Bruce Baumgartner when Bruce was in his prime. I cherished our friendship, as I know many others did. I have peace knowing that he was a man on strong faith, and is now in a better place. RIP my friend.

From Oregon and an OSU fan have had the honor of meeting Strobel a couple of times.  The first time was in the box seat section for Lehigh @ the '11 NCAA's in Philly.  My first NCAA actually.  Thoughts and prayers to his daughters and extended family and friends on both coasts.  Rest in peace sir, enter into the joy of The Lord.

Both Lehigh and Oregon State have published releases on his passing:

https://lehighsports.com/news/2020/10/9/wrestling-lehigh-athletics-mourns-the-passing-of-greg-strobel.aspx

https://osubeavers.com/news/2020/10/9/wrestling-oregon-state-national-champion-greg-strobel-passes-away.aspx

I had the great honor of working with Greg during my two-plus years as director of media relations and communications at USA Wrestling, back in the mid 1980s. My office was right across the hall from Greg's and we spent a lot of time talking about wrestling, and life in general. Also, I was in press row in 1973 at the U. of Washington when he won his first of two NCAA titles and was voted O.W.  Greg and his wife Donna and their two daughters and my wife Bev and our three kids got together often  to play shuffleboard and Trivia Pursuit in our family room. After Bev and I left USA Wrestling,  we exchanged Christmas cards every year..

Greg was always upbeat and enthusiastic and very generous with his time to strangers.  He stayed in great shape, working out all the time. We last talked shortly after Donna passed away and he shared an incredibly intimate story that I will always cherish. I say with all sincerity -- Greg Strobel was as nice and as thoughtful a person as he was a great wrestler. What a tremendous loss for the entire wrestling community. -- Mike Chapman

I've had the honor to be the EIWA Sports Information Director for the past four years, taking over after John Harmon retired.  I'd met Greg only briefly before then and wasn't sure he even knew who I was (just a long-time fan, never a wrestling insider).  He took a chance on me based on recommendations of others.  I can say that he never once talked down to me or considered me an outsider.  If I voiced an opinion he considered it.

The one incident that sticks with me happened at one of the first EIWA tournaments I worked.  A head coach walked up to Greg after one of his wrestlers lost a close match and complained heatedly about the seeding; he hadn't agreed with it and felt that the matchup shouldn't have happened to begin with, blaming the loss on the way the brackets had been drawn.  The coach went on for awhile and Greg sat and smiled and nodded and never contradicted, knowing that it was just a case of the coach being frustrated by what he felt was a bad draw for his wrestler.  It wasn't personal, and he knew it and didn't take it that way.  It's a talent I'm still trying to learn.

I had known Greg for a few years already, but my first opportunity to really get to know what made him tick was when I was the Team Leader for the US at the Espoir World Championships in Colorado Springs in 1985. 

We had used the mats from the 1984 Olympics which were being stored in Stillwater, OK USAW had not yet moved to the Springs. 

After the event, Greg and I and a few others loaded the mats up on an un-airconditioned U-Haul and he and I drove them from the Springs to Stillwater. You really get some insight into a person and his character on a 9.5 hour long drive in the August heat and thunderstorms with no AC. From that point I developed an enormous respect for Greg, not just as a wrestler/administrator but as a human being. His insight into things and his calm manner of dealing with people and situations earned my respect and I cherished his respect for me.

When we got to Stillwater, I stayed at Greg's house where he and Donna were the best hosts. 

For the last 14 years I've worked the computers at the head table at the EIWA and one of the reasons I continue to do so even after moving to Florida is that I so enjoy being around all the great people at that great event from all the schools in it. Coaches, Admins, Athletes, Fans, Fellow head table crew and on and on. Greg was at the top of that list of people I look forward to seeing in one place every year. I'll continue to look forward to that trip every year, but it won't be quite the same.

Edited by bill_crum

He always seemed to have such boundless energy. He was still occasionally going live when I walked on at Lehigh. My experience wrestling him was that every thing he did hurt and made it hard for you to breathe. Felt almost like submission wrestling.  When I did once or twice manage to pull out some surprise funk move that caught him off guard, he would always make an excited exclamation like, "Ha! Look at that! Amazing flexibility!" 
 I wasn't a big time recruit when I was at Lehigh, or even a very good wrestler at that level, but he always seemed excited to talk to me, and had a real desire to help me progress, as did Pat, Chris and Kerry.  That was the kind of program he built there.
I saw him a couple of years ago for the first time in over a decade.  There was a little more gray in the hair, but he still had that same youthful energy. Hard to imagine that he's gone. Rest in peace Coach.