Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

GABE DEAN v. DAVID TAYLOR

David Taylor is a World Champ, so if he is still at the top of his game, I would be inclined to believe that DT would be heavily favored. And if you go back and watch his match with Yazdani (one of the world’s best), at the 2018 World’s DT’s scrambling abilities seem pretty formidable. But different styles do make for Interesting matchups. 

I think most of us are underestimating the importance of the fact that Dean is doing this in his spare time. 

I'm not saying Dean would beat him if he was training full time, particularly because he likely had the chance to and decided not to, but its not a match termination. 

But I guess Jackson and others are in the same boat.

Edited by hammerlockthree

On 10/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, 77again said:

Taylor 19 times out of 20.

And I'm a big fan of Gabe.

This.  Huge fan of Gabe and I don't like Taylor's attitude (but I respect his ability/accomplishments).  As much as it pains me to say this, I think Taylor beats Gabe every time unless DT gets hurt.

Just now, nhs67 said:

To be fair... to bee faaaaaaair.......

DT also beats Drew Foster every time they wrestle unless he gets hurt.

Foster is 1 for 1 on that as of now.

That's why I had to throw in the injury disclaimer

15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I thought Foster looked tough as hell, and how good is that rocky elam kid gonna be? Looks like a 97 eventually.

He did, yes, although I would like to see him VS a fresh McFadden, fwiw.

And if McFadden can do what he did this last weekend, Hall can do more.  He is bigger, faster, stronger, and better everywhere.

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think most of us are underestimating the importance of the fact that Dean is doing this in his spare time. 

I'm not saying Dean would beat him if he was training full time, particularly because he likely had the chance to and decided not to, but its not a match termination. 

But I guess Jackson and others are in the same boat.

Why do you say that Dean is doing it in his spare time. He is an assistant wrestling coach. His job and his "hobby" are both wrestling. And isn't it the case that most of the USA team members have historically been assistant coaches?

Just now, NJDan said:

Why do you say that Dean is doing it in his spare time. He is an assistant wrestling coach. His job and his "hobby" are both wrestling. And isn't it the case that most of the USA team members have historically been assistant coaches?

Historically yes recently no. 

Gilman, Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Cox, Downey(lol), etc......These guys just train. 

Its much harder balancing coaching and competing, we are look at 85% of Gabe Dean.

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Historically yes recently no. 

Gilman, Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Cox, Downey(lol), etc......These guys just train. 

Its much harder balancing coaching and competing, we are look at 85% of Gabe Dean.

I think you're wrong on Taylor.  The guy has his own wrestling academy/training center he owns and operates doesn't he?

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think you're wrong on Taylor.  The guy has his own wrestling academy/training center he owns and operates doesn't he?

Thats high school club coaching, its not much compared to in season high school coaching and ludicrous compared to college coaching.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Thats high school club coaching, its not much compared to in season high school coaching and ludicrous compared to college coaching.

The kiddos may have differing opinions on the impact he has on them.

This is a good point.  He probably pays people to run his gym and teach some of the classes.

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

This is a good point.  He probably pays people to run his gym and teach some of the classes.

My point is he can spare 2 hours day. Gabe Dean is recruiting, doing privates, doing practice, fundraising, heavily involved in the personal struggles of probably a dozen athletes....the comparison to Taylors club is ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

My point is he can spare 2 hours day. Gabe Dean is recruiting, doing privates, doing practice, fundraising, heavily involved in the personal struggles of probably a dozen athletes....the comparison to Taylors club is ridiculous. 

That is a very fair point.  I agree.

4 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

That is a very fair point.  I agree.

Respectful agreement?

I am going to have to ask you two to take it elsewhere.