Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

R Mathers - Background??

I was wondering if anyone could fill us in on R Mathers wrestling background?  What were his HS accolades? Did he wrestle in college?  Has he had past success on the FS circuit?  He looked really good taking out Pletcher an D Heil.  I am just not familiar with him and was wondering.  Thanks. 

what i found from Arizona. 

Arizona State (2015-16):

• Placed seventh at University Freestyle Nationals
  • Qualified for the NCAA Championships at Madison Square Garden
  • Finished with a 22-13 record, including 11 bonus-point victories, 10 coming from major decisions

High School

• Freshman year places 3rd in state
  • Sophomore year placed 1st in state
  • Junior year placed 1st in state
  • Senior year placed 1st in state
  • High School Coach’s name: Matthews Gonzo
  • Placed 6th place at Fargo
  • Placed 3rd at Fargo
  • University Nationals placed 7th
  • U.S. open placed 8th

Very strange career. If I recall, he was at the OTC with McCauley and Downey back in the day. Incredibly streaky, with most of his success in freestyle. He had one year in the lineup at ASU where he was solid, but not spectacular and then left the team in the middle of the next season if memory serves me right.

Seems like he pops up every couple years and torches a couple NCAA champs and then disappears again.

9 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Very strange career. If I recall, he was at the OTC with McCauley and Downey back in the day. Incredibly streaky, with most of his success in freestyle. He had one year in the lineup at ASU where he was solid, but not spectacular and then left the team in the middle of the next season if memory serves me right.

Seems like he pops up every couple years and torches a couple NCAA champs and then disappears again.

Let's just say Zeke hasn't cared much for the home grown Az boys.

This is reflected in his inability to keep guys any of the other recent studs home. 

I was wondering about this myself last night after watching some of the replays on Flo. I was confused by what I found too.

First he pops up at Missouri as a freshman in 2013-2014 where he red-shirts.

Next he is at Arizona in 2015-2016 as a sophomore, though Wrestlestat has him listed as a freshman (probably incorrectly). Wrestlestat then lists him as 0-0 for ASU in the 2016-2017 season. 

No mention of college wrestling that I can find between 2017 and now. But he appears to be moonlighting as a Penn State professor with an expertise in polymers. Note the use of a fake goatee and glasses so as to go undetected.

Robert Mathers also won the outstanding wrestler award in the EIWA in 1939, so we might have a Zelig situation going on here.

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You say that, but how could wrestlestat possibly track a wrestler who apparently got younger as he got older? They can't be held responsible for tears in the fabric of time.

Maybe this is where Kyle Dake got his all his secrets of anti-aging from.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:19 PM, uncle bernard said:

Should be mentioned that the ncaa champ he torches is Heil typically